Few questions on getting a second husky?

Murph

So wanted to get the advice of all you wise folk here :)

Since I got Kodi I always said that one day when the time was right I would get another husky as a companion for her. I've been thinking about it alot lately, she will be 3 in July and while I won't be getting another one too soon I just wanted some opinions.

Basically Kodi being an only dog gets all of our attention and is a bit of a princess,she knows she is number one lol. I think she would love companionship but at the same time I worry that she might be put out by another dog taking half our attention ya know?

Also she is very bonded to me and I love that, if we get another dog will that break the bond so to speak. will she be more interested in the new dog? I know that sounds quite selfish on my part It's just she is my baby and I love her to bits and love our bond!

And lastly I always thought I'd like a boy next time round, is a female and male likely to get on better than two females? Kodi isn't overly fond on other females but would it be different if it's a pup thats gonna be growing up with her? What's peoples experience with that?

Thanks for reading!

:)

So wanted to get the advice of all you wise folk here :)

Since I got Kodi I always said that one day when the time was right I would get another husky as a companion for her. I've been thinking about it alot lately, she will be 3 in July and while I won't be getting another one too soon I just wanted some opinions.

Basically Kodi being an only dog gets all of our attention and is a bit of a princess,she knows she is number one lol. I think she would love companionship but at the same time I worry that she might be put out by another dog taking half our attention ya know?

Also she is very bonded to me and I love that, if we get another dog will that break the bond so to speak. will she be more interested in the new dog? I know that sounds quite selfish on my part It's just she is my baby and I love her to bits and love our bond!

And lastly I always thought I'd like a boy next time round, is a female and male likely to get on better than two females? Kodi isn't overly fond on other females but would it be different if it's a pup thats gonna be growing up with her? What's peoples experience with that?

Thanks for reading!

:)

my experience on this - bingo was an only dog for 6 years before we got blaze - bingo wasnt keen on blaze when we first got him but now they are best friends - bingo still knows hes my baby even tho we now have skyla too - i was always made to make sure bingo was put 1st before blaze - but also fussed blaze sumtimes before bingo so he knew that even tho blaze was getting attetion he would still also get attention

she probably will be intrested in the new dog for a while but once she realises the pup is there to stay she wont be so constantly intrested in him

we got 2 males before we got skyla - they get on fine - our next dog was going to be a male but skyla needed a new home - our next dog will be a male - its personal choice but if shes not keen on females maybe getting a male would be better - after all you dont want fights when they come into season

good luck in making ur desicion :)

Hi there,

i cant answer the answer about the male female getting on better as i have never had 2 females, but know that kaya gets on brilliantly with all of our male dogs :lol:

I think by getting another the attention kodi gives you will decrease as another husky will be much more fun but she will love you for it.

Another husky will bring out a side in her you may not have seen or experienced with her yet. kaya plays totally differently and has a totally different relationship with spirit than she has with our other two dogs, despite the other two being with her for a longer period of time than spirit has. Kaya and spirit are inseperable :D

I would definately get another one!!!

For most dogs... male/female companionship is best. Although Mishka and Cheyenne are positively bonded at the hip... laugh.gif Since Kodi is older, it's safest to do a male now especially as you say she isn't too fond of females.

My dogs all love each other, they play together all day long. They really enjoy being together. But when it comes time to sit around and watch TV together they always want to be in the same room as us and the "lap dog huskies" are always giving us the eye, asking to come up on the couch too. While i'm not the center of their world they still do like to have bonding time with me. I make time to spend with each of them by themselves doing things. Sometimes it's just something as simple as a truck ride or a trip to petsupermarket... but they appreciate it all the same. As long as you can make time to be with them alone... it all works out.

Of course if you're unsure how she'll be with another dog you could always foster a male first before making the commitment to adopt or get a pup.

Hey Murph,

I have 2 Huskys both female although we got both of ours quite young and have basically grown up together, Lunar was 6month old when we decided to get Enya and they both get on great really look after each other. Lunar is still top dog in the pecking order and Enya knows her place and to be honest between me and my wife the dogs have their prefered owners, Enya seems to be with me more and Lunar with my wife more.

I always knew I would be getting a second and as time goes on we will end up with another eventually as they are great fun and we will be getting a third female and I have no hesitation they will all get on after the initial few weeks when they are putting the new dog in place it will be happy families from then on.

One thing I would say is take your dogs attitude into consideration and if you have a feeling for some reason that she may not get on with another female then make your decision carefully I imagine your dog is like this around other females as a show of dominance and trying to put the other dog in place, Lunar was exactly like this with Enya when we first got her and Enya did take a few bumps from her but its in their nature to be dominant and its just ensuring the other female knows who is top dog now when one is in one room and another in a different room they cry to be together.

Good luck making your decision and remember to post pics of the new addition if you decide to get one :D