how much and how often do i feed my pup ?

jroberts1

i worry wether i am feeding my pup enough or too much, and how often. she is now 15 weeks old. i was feeding her 3 times a day on 1 normal sized tin of butchers tripe and a two handfulls of J.W.B (divided between the three meals ) but the vet told me to put her onto two meals a day now.she gets fed at 7am and 5pm. also is the amount i'm feeding her too much or not enough. she is 7.5 kg at the moment.?

she goes for 2 thirty minute walks a day as well, is this enough ? worry, worry !

I fed mine 4 meals a day at this age and have just switched to 3 (he's 5 months old now) in the last week or so. I found that the recommended amount on his kibble was too much and gave him the runs so i just kinda cut it down until he was pooping ok. I also gave raw meat instead of tinned so he ended up with 2 feeds of kibble and 2 of raw each day. As far as amounts of food go mine will eat as much as you give them (especially pup) so you kinda need to do it by eye for your dog.

I just checked and mine was 6.4 kg at 2 months old. I'll get him weighed again at the weekend and let you know what he is now at 5 months. My 15 month old boy is 28kg

The general rule on walks i think is 5 mins a month so if your dog is almost 4 months old you should be looking at 20 min walks.

Food

If you are feeding her too much, her stools will probably be very soft or runny.

That's because her body hasn't had time to process the food properly before she needs to pass it through.

If her stools are firm then you're not overfeeding her.

Exercise

If you can, shorter walks but more often spread out during the day

Four ten minute walks would be better.

Walking young puppies for too long, especially on hard surfaces can cause damage to the still growing bones

and joints. This can cause problems later in life.

An average should be 5 minutes per month of age per walk. so at 2 months a ten minute walk should be enough.

Don't forget she's probably running around your house and garden too.

You can tire them out mentally too.

Chasing balls in the house.

kongs or puzzle balls with treats in them.

or eve a simple coke bottle with treats in and the lid plugged up

will keep them entertained.

i was also informed to offer 3 meals a day til 6mths but due to practical reasons as having an adult i dropped this at 5mths as he was having to have something to eat as well!!

IMO i would ditch the butchers food as its total **** and just offer the kibble. She sounds very tiny but she is a girl and may be of a smaller stature! like children you cant compare but my boy is 5mths and nearly 17KGS!!! (no he does not have mal in him!!!)

How is she in her health, her coat, clear eyes, energy levels etc? is her poop normal, is she going a few times a day etc. 2 x 30min walk is probably the maximum IMO, but spend time doing obediance stuff at home to tire her out that way. my 5mth old has no more than 1 x 40mins and some days he has less than that if we do more obediance stuff. the recommended amount is 5mins per month of age

I'm sure she's fine and is just going to be a petit little girly. I am sure slaves to kayaspirits girl is only about 17kg and she's an adult!

i was also informed to offer 3 meals a day til 6mths but due to practical reasons as having an adult i dropped this at 5mths as he was having to have something to eat as well!!

IMO i would ditch the butchers food as its total **** and just offer the kibble. She sounds very tiny but she is a girl and may be of a smaller stature! like children you cant compare but my boy is 5mths and nearly 17KGS!!! (no he does not have mal in him!!!)

How is she in her health, her coat, clear eyes, energy levels etc? is her poop normal, is she going a few times a day etc. 2 x 30min walk is probably the maximum IMO, but spend time doing obediance stuff at home to tire her out that way. my 5mth old has no more than 1 x 40mins and some days he has less than that if we do more obediance stuff. the recommended amount is 5mins per month of age

I'm sure she's fine and is just going to be a petit little girly. I am sure slaves to kayaspirits girl is only about 17kg and she's an adult!

i was just feeding her J.W.B but she had constant diahorria so when mixed with butchers her stools our now ...pick upable lol. would like to have her just on kibble or is there any other better canned food ?

i would look at the amount your offering thats usually the cause of runny poo in huskys. i assume she's recently wormed?

many husky owners offer raw chicken wings (yep raw - skin and bone) and that will sort the runny poo in no time at all. its the **** in the processed food - corn, rice etc and other fillers which dont suit huskys

Whats the RDA per 24hrs for her body weight and age? use that as a guide as to whether your offering the lesser, middler or higher amounts of the food and slowly adjust.

Personally if this was my pup and there was no other health concerns i would:

stop all food and offer 2 x chick wings for breaky, 1 x chick wing for lunch and again 2 more at dinner time. repeat this for 2-3 days and slowly introduce the kibble by introducing at one meals time on day 4, then 2 meals times on day 5 and so on. thats only from my experience and i swear its always worked for us.

There's lots of info on raw food within the site

Mine wouldn't eat just kibble,so we put a little warm water on it and mix in either cooked chicken or sardines in oil (just a little) and they polish it off now,

she does seem tiny going off her weight but maybe uve got a little one,Shadow weighed the same at about 10wks but she is chunky.