halti

Jamo

whoever invented this is a genius ! we got a halti for nanuk and after letting him get used to it he walks like a charm its amazing! he used to pull unbelievably and my hands would be red raw he pulled the much but now he walks right at the side of me with the lead loose and i actually enjoyed taking him for a walk when normally he would stress me out laugh.gif:D

has anyone else had a good experience with one of these or a canny colllar(i think theyre the same sort of thing lol) ?

he used to pull unbelievably and my hands would be red raw

Should you choose to use a regular collar at times, try getting a leather leash, and rub it well with Mink Oil, or something similar for treating leather. Leather leads are so much easier on the hands, and are durable - will last almost forever, if you take care of them! Look for one with a brass snap, if you can find one.

Should you choose to use a regular collar at times, try getting a leather leash, and rub it well with Mink Oil, or something similar for treating leather. Leather leads are so much easier on the hands, and are durable - will last almost forever, if you take care of them! Look for one with a brass snap, if you can find one.

on the collar i would use the ezydog leash its the one thats like a bungie n it stretches and has a comfy handle but it still hurt lol

TOTALLY agree with sutsibe about a good quality leather leash - it is the only thing I walk my dogs on (they don't pull but even then I can't go back to using anything else).

I've had the bungee leashes with the comfy handles and they still have nothing a good quality leather leash :D I have a few but the oldest one I use all the time is over five years old and soft as anything.

TOTALLY agree with sutsibe about a good quality leather leash - it is the only thing I walk my dogs on (they don't pull but even then I can't go back to using anything else).

I've had the bungee leashes with the comfy handles and they still have nothing a good quality leather leash :D I have a few but the oldest one I use all the time is over five years old and soft as anything.

My two favorites are probably somewhere around 20 years old - love them! They do stretch out over time - a 6' lead ends up being closer to 8', lol! I love 'em anyway! biggrin.gif

So glad i saw this, i was thinking of getting Ko one but was unsure because he is only 3 moths old, he pulls like crazy on his walking lead, he actually kinda hops on his back legs, with his front legs up in the air, trying to get that bit further, because of this he coughs and splutters when pullling and i dont want to cause any damage to his windpipe etc,i am still trying to make him walk to heal, or at least not pull, but this seems the hardest command for him to learn lol

Is 3 months too early for him to wear a halti?

We found that as you Odin pulled so much that we bought a Halti but then found that he still pulled and the Halti was cutting across his eye, so we bought a canni collar which is the best thing we have bought as it pulls his head down instead of to one side :)

Yes definitely!

IMO - I would never use one on a puppy, ever.

He needs to do some leash training so he learns that pulling will not earn him any reward (moving forward to where he wants to go).

Don't worry about training a command for now - pop him on his leash and collar and walk down the street. As soon as he starts to pull, pivot on your foot and immediately change direction to walk the opposite way. He'll have to turn around to come back and when he does praise and reward him with some high value treats. The key is consistency - never allow him to pull because that will reward him for it, every time. You may not get far the first couple of training sessions but he will soon learn that pulling doesn't get him anywhere.

So glad i saw this, i was thinking of getting Ko one but was unsure because he is only 3 moths old, he pulls like crazy on his walking lead, he actually kinda hops on his back legs, with his front legs up in the air, trying to get that bit further, because of this he coughs and splutters when pullling and i dont want to cause any damage to his windpipe etc,i am still trying to make him walk to heal, or at least not pull, but this seems the hardest command for him to learn lol

get him a little harness, that will stop his windpipe from hurting

head collars pull the hear at funny angles, and as a pup his bones and joints arent fully formed so are fragile, if you put a halti on a puppy you could do serious damage to his neck

Hi,

both the Halti and the Canny Collar are designed for fully grown dogs but I have seen a 'Gentle Leader for Puppies' for sale at the vets but I havent looked into it myself. A harness may work but it depends on the dog! There is a lot out there that says a harness is a no-no for huskies because they will pull more but others that say it is a dream!

Have you tried doing some heel training instead of worrying about taking him for a walk? Even if you only go from one lamp post to the next a few times it doesn't matter as he is so young. We have combined the turning when he pulls method as well as heel training using a treat....hold the leader in the left hand if you want your dog to walk on the right and vice versa. Show him a really tasty treat and just hold it by your side, just behind your leg. Walk a few steps then stop and get him to sit. his nose will follow the food....theoretically! ... especially if it is something super tasty. Teeko has responded really well to this and only really pulls when we go somewhere completely new and exciting. We have a long lung rein for him to have freedom in certain places and he seems to have figured out that the long lead means run and play while the short lead means walk and behave.

Tam

had a slight problem today when i took him out he wanted to get it off and started scraping his nose on the concrete and cut his nose open and could see the blood on his paws i had to bring him back to clean him up but hes fine i dont even think he realized he did it the nutter laugh.gif

had a slight problem today when i took him out he wanted to get it off and started scraping his nose on the concrete and cut his nose open and could see the blood on his paws i had to bring him back to clean him up but hes fine i dont even think he realized he did it the nutter laugh.gif

He realised he did it when he was wearing it. Imagine how uncomfortable/ in pain a dog has to be to scrap it's nose until it bleeds?

This is one issue with head collars - dogs find them highly aversive. You need to train your dog to want to wear one - you can't just put it on and off you go. There are loads of videos on youtube about how to fit a head collar and how to train the dog to want to wear one.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone got any tips to get them used to it because as i said before he made his nose bleed last time, he hasn't made it bleed lately but he still tries to get it off but the thing is its not too tight or rubbing him or anything i think he just been stubborn because he walks fine for a while but then all of a sudden he'll try and scrape it off and go crazy to get it off its getting really frustrating now sad.gif