Halti or canny collar

Stormy

I've been Reading up on both I already have a Halti for Logan as he came with it and he walks great on it. I can't handle shadows pulling anymore and I know even if I get a halti or canny collar for him I'm going to have to spend some one on one time with him to train him on it and then hopefully will be able to walk both withou shadow dragging us lol but what I want to know is which do you all prefer? I prefer the look of the canny collar I don't know if I'd change Logan from the halti as it doesn't bother him only every now and then he rubs his head on a bush or in grass lol

I tried the halti on Storm and one size was too small and next size was too big, where as the canny is adjustable. We don't use it all the time as we are actively trying to get her to walk on a fairly loose lead. but on wooded areas she goes nuts so we use it then or in busy places.

what size would anyone say is best for the canny for nanuk because were thinking about getting a size 4 which says its for golden retrievers etc and nanuk isnt huge we got him a size 3 halti but hes cut his nose open twice and it does seem to go over his eyes sometimes and i prefer the way the canny goes round the back of the head instead of the side lol

I took Storm into Pets at Home and tried the Halti types including their own brand but none fitted, I certainly wouldn't need a retreiver size for storm as she is quite slender, just checked and it is a size4 but we have it on the tightest fitting at the moment as she has lost all her fluffy undercoat. When she is in full coat we loosen it a notch or 2.

Storm has a size 4 canny. it does leave marks on the face. he tries to get it off by rubbing his face in my crotch! embarrasing! but we are starting to take it off halfway home and he walks by my side with a slack lead. :D wouldnt say it stops pulling totally but it helps.

The halti is a good idea, but it's concept of it gentley closing the mouth and getting them to heel is a bit different from what its like in practice. Because the dogs walk to the side of us, it pulls the halti to the side causing it to tighten at an angle. This how quite often you see them riding into the dogs eyes. Haltis will not rise into the dogs eyes if you train them to walk on a halti though, not like these people that just think you clip it on and off you go where they normally report that it "kind of helps" when in actual fact they are just letting the dog pull their faces off.

So in my opinion, haltis are good if you use them properly.

Canny collars are good, however if you have a dog that will try to paw it off their face very quickly, they will get it off their nose very easily if they want to as it's litrally just a band of nylon webbing over their nose (nylon webbing is very strong, but they can paw it off their nose by sliding it down their muzzle). Though you wont lose the dog if they get that band off, it will just return into the collar position, where as the halti is built to stay in the muzzle shape. Canny collars will give you control from the back of the head which people find is easier to guide their dogs.

Thats my thoughts on them anyway.

Stacey xxx

Storm has a size 4 canny. it does leave marks on the face. he tries to get it off by rubbing his face in my crotch! embarrasing! but we are starting to take it off halfway home and he walks by my side with a slack lead. :D wouldnt say it stops pulling totally but it helps.

laugh.gif nanuk does that to me or as soon as he sees a bush or a tree or a pile of leaves he rolls around in them it looks well daft most of the time he sticks his whole body in a bush and starts scraping his face on it but he cant get it off lol the only problem is he keeps cutting his nose open hes done it twice now i dont know if he does it when trying to paw it off or if he scrapes it on the concrete i guess il just have to watch him and see how he does it.

Just for future referance I would always recomend a dogmatic, they are fantastic! Only downside is they are a bit on the pricey side. They are basically like a halti head collar but they have fleace padding and a few diffirences usually made of leather. I've heard nothing but praise about them. I use a halti for Yuri and it doesn't ride up but he does try to bat it. I couldn't walk two dogs at once, not after today :unsure: I tried it. But Yuri walks perfectly on his halti. I don't need it for Flynn aparently as he doesn't pull and walks loose lead.

I've ordered shadow a canny collar :) will see how we get on I might get Logan one to but at the moment he does fine on his halti

you got any tips on the halti how long did it take to get used to it cos weve only had nanuks for a few days but hes had it on quite alot but still tries to get it off and he just doesnt seem to realise that its on ?

laugh.gif nanuk does that to me or as soon as he sees a bush or a tree or a pile of leaves he rolls around in them it looks well daft most of the time he sticks his whole body in a bush and starts scraping his face on it but he cant get it off lol the only problem is he keeps cutting his nose open hes done it twice now i dont know if he does it when trying to paw it off or if he scrapes it on the concrete i guess il just have to watch him and see how he does it.

I have to watch Storm all the time, I stop him from sticking his head in bushes. :D

Yuri tries to get his off. What I do is use a double ended training lead. I put one end on his actual collar ring and the other end on the head collar. I hold them both in the hand of the side I want him to walk on and if he tries to bat it off I just say leave and hold the collar part up right so he has to stand up properly (not hard just gentily). Works pretty well. He rubs on bushes, grass etc, but they say they get used to it after a while.

Yuri tries to get his off. What I do is use a double ended training lead. I put one end on his actual collar ring and the other end on the head collar. I hold them both in the hand of the side I want him to walk on and if he tries to bat it off I just say leave and hold the collar part up right so he has to stand up properly (not hard just gentily). Works pretty well. He rubs on bushes, grass etc, but they say they get used to it after a while.

il just have to get him used to it i guess lol