The worst has happened :-(

slaves to kaya

This is aweful :( I had to consider hiding Kiska at the beginning of the year before I moved out (they didn't allow 'puppies', by his definition that's dogs under 1 year that 'chew and piss everywhere' :rolleyes:) and it was a horrible feeling, knowing I'd be constantly on the look out and that if I were caught I'd be in big trouble, but I was willing to do it if it meant I got to keep her. The only difference is that if I could't keep her with me my family were happy to have her at home until I could. Do you not have family or friends that could take the lowest maintenance dog until you're able to find place elsewhere? That way you get to keep all of your dogs in the end.

I totally agree that this situation is totally unneccessary. I've been doing an Animal Legislation module as part of my univeristy course (today actually!) and I'm no expert but I would say you have a very good case for grandfathering, like Heather said. When you moved in you did not agree to the 2 dogs 2 cats rule, they are forcing it on you now that you already live there. If they made you aware of this rule before you moved in then it would have affected your decision to move there in the first place. I would say definately take Stacey's advice and call welfare organisations, rescue centers, local media, local MPs etc, maybe go around your camp getting people to sign a petition saying anyone with more that 2 & 2 before the rule came into place should be able to keep the pets they have but not get more. Get ALL the support you can. If you are willing to take this far enough through the legal system I really can't see you losing ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys thanks so much for all your advice. When we moved in all that was required of us was that we registered the animals. When we moved in (over 3 years ago now) we only had dougle and yogi and 1 cat. So we are not sure if there was a cut off as we never heard anything from them. So i am assuming there was no "rule" so to speak. we have never been in this situation before as we have always lived "in the wire" within the camp grounds and were always informed of the numbers allowed. But this is a totally different situation due to the fact that the house is "sub-let' from a private firm and I think this is coming from them.

So taking that into account, I think we have registered the animals with the RAF but not with the private company which is what is being required as far as i can work out. Too scared to contact the office as i dont want to send out a beacon.

I am going to see a few of my friends tomorrow in the hope that between us we can gather what is happening as people are talking about it all over the estate now so hopefully we will know more tomorrow. We havent mentioned it to the children yet, until we have to, IF we have to. Praying it dont come to that though

Thanks soooooo much everyone

Sending you all big hugs xxx

oh ali-i was hoping to come back to this and see some better news.....what sort of property and price range are you looking in? surely all of us searching for you we could find something???

hi ya hun,

price range isn't really a prob at this moment we can live on beans and toast if we find somewhere to keep our boys and girl, it would have to be within a max of a 20mile radius of telford town center really so the children can remain in their schools. I have rang 3 private adds this afternoon but no joy because of the pets, still awaiting a response from one as I left a answer phone message. What the difference is between 2,4 or 6 dogs is beyond me as long as they are well trained and not destructive what is the problem???

Slowly loosing my faith in the human race today :(

I'm really sorry to hear what your going though. I'm not sure I can offer any words of advice. But start looking for a new place.. visit every pet property ask to meet the landlord and explain your situation to them, you may find that someone feels sorry for your situation and allows you to move in. Take it to the press, talk to a solicitor or CAB. If you already had a contract saying you could have your pets than I think that will stand against them in court. Big hugs and I'm so sorry your going though this :(

Ok, thanks hun your a star :)

max price range approx 900 (although will pay more if we need to)

bedrooms - min 3

doesn't need to have anything specific (rural would be ideal)

rear garden please

we are used to moving around so are very adaptable and know how to look after someone elses property. can even get 14yr reference from the RAF regarding not missing a payment ever, and maintaining and leaving a property in the same condition as when we entered. We even employ an agency to clean it for us and another to do any touch up paint work if require etc when we leave the property

So we are pretty good tennants I think ;)

All I need is a dog loving landlord :)

What a nightmare Ali, so sorry to hear you are going through this. As the place is sub-let privately do you have a lease agreement with them? If you have one was there any mention about pets at all? I really agree with what some of the others have said and think there is a good cause for a grandfather clause.

I know there is a risk that by fighting it you are in fact highlighting yourself to the powers that be, but I personally would fight this one.

Good luck hun

Personally I would start by checking your tenancy agreement to see if it states any conditions on number of pets allowed. If it doesn't and you didn't sign any other contracts regarding your pets with the landlord then I would seek legal advice. It's my understanding that the landlord cannot significantly alter the terms of the tenancy agreement without you agreeing to the new terms. A quick search found the following site:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/family_parent/housing/tenancy_agreements.htm

I would also suggest that the landlord or their representative visit the property at their convenience so they can see the pets in question and the condition of the property. I suspect the person who was breeding dogs from their property were forced to rehome their pets as they broke the rule about running a business from a forces property rather than the number of pets they had.

Hopefully you can reach an amicable agreement with the landlord

what if it was a family with 4 unruly children who caused havoc? would they expect the parents to decide who stays & who goes?? I think not! I agree with Lee about your tenancy agreement (and check the small print) but it can't help looking for alternative accommodation - good luck

what if it was a family with 4 unruly children who caused havoc? would they expect the parents to decide who stays & who goes?? I think not! I agree with Lee about your tenancy agreement (and check the small print) but it can't help looking for alternative accommodation - good luck

will do hun,

justin is going to dig out the tenancy agreement tomorrow and go through it with a fine toothcomb. i wouldn't say so much if our dogs were causong havoc, but they have never caused any trouble. :( at the moment this form has gone out camp wide so we ain't on the radar yet as far as I am aware. Just hoping it stays that way :)

but if not i have alot of houses to view from the other "lets pull together" thread :D

are you on an army camp then? I am too, We never got told there was a limit here. I think if people cause a problem with their pets, it's the individual that gets dealt with, not the other residents. I'm gonna be sure to tell hubby not to apply for a camp with a pet limit, never thought it was something we would have to consider.

Hi, both the quarters I;ve been in here in Canada and in Germany have a limit of 2 pets max, although where I'm away to next my new neighbour has 3 dogs. I'd love to get another one but am terrified of being posted somewhere else and being told one needs to go. It can really suck at times x

I know what you mean hun. but you have to live your life too!

we have now decided to keep the dogs and come what may!!! they are our family and they are here to stay :lol::D

:D Really pleased you're keeping them all, I know what you mean about living your life but for me as I only have the 2 I figured I'd wait until the OH gets out in about 5 years time and see what our situation is then (plus more importantly we cant agree, I want another husky, he wants a german shepard :lol:)