Leaving them at home during the day?

Rich & Kody

do you have a backyard that they could be put it?

I also work 8.30-5 and leave Willow in the backyard (which is very secure i might add) and she just sleeps runs up and down the fence etc

i think 10 hours is too long to leave a dog in a crate during the day especially if he sleeps in the crate too

if you take him out for a morning walk it could lower the chances he will chew things during the day.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We've not long arrived in oz and im faced with a similar problem. Ive recently moved into a rental property and there is a large back yard but im concerned leaving them in the garden whilst at work incase they somehow get over one part of the front fence as it is only 4ft high.

I am left with a dilemna to:

1.) section off the veranda and kitchen for them to roam around in

2.) see how they go roaming the whole of the house before all of the furniture arrives

3.) build an extension to the large tin shed in the yard and make a run

4.) erect higher fences around the yard so they cannot escape - this would deem costly and the landlord would probably disagree.

In my head I sometimes leave them fr a few hours with complete run of the house and access to the balcony, but anything longer than 3 hours i have been sectioning them off in the kitchen and veranda.

I think though I am hoping to either get a house mate that works from home or a local neighbour to pop in every now and then

Sorry guys but sometimes our lives set up in ways that we really can't control. I don't think it's fair to rehome a dog because the job that pays for their health/food/life requires a lot of time during the day. I can leave my dogs at home for 10 hours no problem as long and they've had some exercise. They will get into the routine quickly of having a good long walk (possibly throw in some quick sprints) in the AM and then relaxing for a while and then get another good walk at the end of the day. Before I worked where I did my ex and I were always coming and going. But as long as the dogs were exercised daily they were happy pups. We always "made it up" to them over the weekend where we spent most/all time with them doing doggy things.

As long as you can commit to this routine of AM and PM exercise... I don't see an issue with it at all. If it were me, I would crate them especially since you have a young puppy which Kody hasn't spent much time with on top of the fact that Kody has been sort of isolated for the past 6 months. I just don't know how you've been working this with a young pup in the house, who lets them out?

yeah thats a similar routine i have in place currently - an hours exercise around 5-6am (then they roam around in the garden until 730ish) then they get another walk around 730pm for and hour annd again a quick one at 11pm

On weekends it is spent the whole day trekking on saturday and sunday - usually in the mountain regions

My husky was crate trained before I picked her up, so I have a extra large crate , she can stand and turn around and lay flat out with extra room, and Im at work for 10 hours, and she never had problems, now she has the crate in the kitchen with a short gate, and I leave the crate door open now all day and she will sleep in the crate durning the day, and when I return home she has a nice long walk and lots of play time till we start everything all over the next day.

Over the summer when Aaron is in Chicago, Lyra will be crated from about 7 am until 3 pm five days a week when I'm at work. During that period she'll be allowed to sleep in the bedroom at night instead of her crate. Of course most dog owners don't WANT to leave their dogs alone for hours at a time, but sometimes that's what has to happen due to life circumstances. I would argue that most people generally need to work full-time in order to make ends meet, and that certainly shouldn't be an exclusion for having a dog. Or children for that matter. :)

Don't beat yourself up over making things work. Dogs are highly adaptable creatures, and as long as they are still getting enough exercise and attention when you're home, it really shouldn't be a problem.