any one use dog rucksacks or backpacks?

katie mc

dont know whether i have put this question in right bit?

i am looking at getting a rucksack or back pack which ever u want to call them for duke now that the weather is getting better,so was just wondering if anyone use's one ? any make that is best to use? theres loads on the market been looking at ezey ones. help much appreciated thanks in advance :D xx

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We got ours in pets at home. red and black. doesnt quite fit yet and I'm worried about it rubbing in his manhood atm. Don't want him getting sore as I bet it would be me who would have to rub cream on!!!:blink:

ooh thats not very nice is it blink.gif. i didnt even think it went back that far underneath to rub? then again i havnt actually seen one on in person just over the internet anything to tire duke out is an added bonus!x

I use mine on my boy during the warmer months when we go hiking.

I use this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753841

(But in a much bigger size, of course, and not those colours.)

I find it to work very well, but I can't really put a lot of weight into the pouches (I think it's got 6 pouches? 2 main and 4 little ones). Maybe a max of 3 soup cans per side? Of course, that's cause my boy's older.

The weight, I find, helps to slow him down and he is more hesitant in pulling. Make sure, though, to get the proper size and make sure it doesn't tug/pull on him when he heavily pants. Might want to try it out before you buy it, if they'll let you.

I use mine on my boy during the warmer months when we go hiking.

I use this: http://www.petsmart....oductId=2753841

(But in a much bigger size, of course, and not those colours.)

I find it to work very well, but I can't really put a lot of weight into the pouches (I think it's got 6 pouches? 2 main and 4 little ones). Maybe a max of 3 soup cans per side? Of course, that's cause my boy's older.

The weight, I find, helps to slow him down and he is more hesitant in pulling. Make sure, though, to get the proper size and make sure it doesn't tug/pull on him when he heavily pants. Might want to try it out before you buy it, if they'll let you.

thank u for that. well the only i can find are over the internet so i wouldnt be able to try before i buy unless i can send it back and get my money back if it doesnt fit him.is it right they can carry up to 15-20 % of there body weight?a few companies say that but would prefer someone who has one to tell me what weight he could or should be carrying once he is used to it and i have worked up to the weight. any tips on introducing it to him insted of putting it on and seeing how he likes it? how do i tell if it fits properly? should i be able to fit 2 fingers or anything between the straps and duke?thanks again x

thank u for that. well the only i can find are over the internet so i wouldnt be able to try before i buy unless i can send it back and get my money back if it doesnt fit him.is it right they can carry up to 15-20 % of there body weight?a few companies say that but would prefer someone who has one to tell me what weight he could or should be carrying once he is used to it and i have worked up to the weight. any tips on introducing it to him insted of putting it on and seeing how he likes it? how do i tell if it fits properly? should i be able to fit 2 fingers or anything between the straps and duke?thanks again x

Well, this is the exact model I have. You can see it on their official website here:

http://www.myoutwardhound.com/oh05352.html

In regards to sizing it says:

The Large Outward Hound Excursion Dog Backpack is designed to fit pets 50 to 79 pounds in weight with a girth of 30" - 40" Girth measurements reflect the area around the widest part of your dog's rib cage.

Unfortunately their official website only ships to the U.S. I got mine at Petsmart.

You can find them at Amazon too: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MU9OLG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1278548962&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0017JHMK4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0DSE7KMVKP2P9QQ3DT9T

This is their return policy FAQ Page:

What's Amazon.com's return policy?

Our return policies vary depending on the type of item you'd like to return. See our Product Return Policies Help pages for details.

How do I return an item shipped by Amazon.com?

Visit our Online Returns Center to get a mailing label to return your item. NOTE: Return shipping may be deducted from the amount of your refund if the reason for your return is not the result of Amazon error.

How do I return an item shipped by a seller?

Amazon.com cannot accept returns of items fulfilled by sellers. Items fulfilled by a seller must be returned to the seller according to their return guidelines. Read more about ordering from Amazon merchants.

If you need to return an item that was shipped by a seller, please contact the seller directly. For more details, visit:

I've returned my item; how soon will I receive my refund?

Once the carrier has received your item, you should receive your refund in 10-15 business days. However, if you ship the item back to Amazon at your own expense, it may take longer to receive your refund.

If you shipped the item back to Amazon at your own expense, and it is not the result of Amazon error, you will be refunded your shipping costs at that time. To prevent having to pay for the return yourself, please visit our Online Return Center to receive a pre-paid label.

You may return most new, unopened items sold and fulfilled by Amazon.com within 30 days of delivery for a full refund. We'll also pay the return shipping costs if the return is a result of our error. transparent-pixel._V192234675_.giftransparent-pixel._V192234675_.gif

In my experience, the backpack should be snug. Not too tight, he needs room for his chest to expand while heavily panting, but not too loose where it'll slide all over the place and hurt his back. (shifting weight and all that.) Also, I think having atleast a finger width should fit between the front chest strap, and maybe a finger and a half for the stomach/rib straps.

Good luck in your search!

we've used one and still do occationally. however the one i got from pets at home i dont like. the saddle bags arent fixed to the strap so they 'bang' against his side whcih i dont like. i guess i could just stitch them.

build up the weight you put in the bag and always ensure its even. defo ensure its a good correct fit or you could get rubbing particulalry on his belly etc.

But used correctly i find mine respond well to it and it defo gives them a 'job'. i defo recommend shopping around and try on before buying rather than buying online etc.

I have one made by Outward Hound, also, and like it. Mine is a little different than Solitary Howl's, though. The packs are fastened to a harness with velcro, and can be easily removed and put back on. I tend to start my dogs' getting used to it by using the harness for a time, then adding on the empty pack, and after the dog is used to that, gradually start adding in weight. It has 2 large packs, and when I was working on getting packing titles from the Siberian Husky Club of America, they were perfect for getting enough weight in. (They had to start with 25% of their weight at the beginning of the hike, and finish with at least 10%.) Bottles of water are great to carry - they don't shift a lot or make noise, and are good to have along for human and canine consumption!

http://www.myoutwardhound.com/oh05314.html

i do with mine..and they are made by Outward hound.this is the ones i use http://ep.yimg.com/c...8_2146_83052388

got them from my local stockist http://www.pettastic...packs-110-c.asp

.have looked around and persoanlly found these were better quality and more durable..

they have strudy quick release clips a handy grab handle and if you use a walking harness rather than a collar you can still use it with the harness.. i found some wouldnt allow you to use harness.

thank u everyone for ure help.very much appreciated! im hoping duke will like it well not seem to mind wearing one as on walks i have to carry everything but the kitchen sink when my lil boy comes on walks so at least duke can have a job to do and carry some of it lol.

Rachel (dygosamikita) has got one for sale on here so im going to try it on duke and hopefully it will fit him. its an ezy dog one that i was looking at. Duke doesnt wear a harness so at least thats a bonus that it wont get in the way.

thanks every one again. fingers crossed he likes it !! x

Well, this is the exact model I have. You can see it on their official website here:

http://www.myoutward...om/oh05352.html

In regards to sizing it says:

Unfortunately their official website only ships to the U.S. I got mine at Petsmart.

You can find them at Amazon too: http://www.amazon.co...KMVKP2P9QQ3DT9T

This is their return policy FAQ Page:

In my experience, the backpack should be snug. Not too tight, he needs room for his chest to expand while heavily panting, but not too loose where it'll slide all over the place and hurt his back. (shifting weight and all that.) Also, I think having atleast a finger width should fit between the front chest strap, and maybe a finger and a half for the stomach/rib straps.

Good luck in your search!

thank u for all that info and ure advise. ill let u know how the search goes and how duke gets on with it :) x

Ive replied to your message, but basically I use the Options Travel backpack like someone else linked you to.

I think it's a great starter backback and will definately give you an idea of if backpacking is right for you and your dog. In my opinion it was better for me to spend £12 on one to see whether it was right for us than spending £30+ on one, but I would definately upgrade in the future when I have more money as the others seem a bit more durable.

Stacey xxx

just replied to ure message. cheers chick for reply. when i started looking for them i didnt realise how expensive some of them got like the ruffwear ones. rachel is going to send me one shes selling which is the ezydog ones hopefully it will fit duke and he will enjoy having a job to do x

heres Storm modelling his!

sml_gallery_2512_1226_436517.jpg sexy huh????:D It's the back strap that I'm concerned comes too close to his winky.:blink:

been told the backpacks supposed to be more over the shoulders than on the back , both mine have been worked with theses seance 8 months old and work wonders ...gives them a good work out and makes them stronger ....me i found that packets of long spaghetti was the perfect thing to put in as they deffo dont move