Fight against dog thieves

BladesBird

It puts fear in the heart of all dog owners, but also seems to be getting more and more common for dogs to be stolen.

So I thought I'd share some of my hints and tips to help guard us against the unthinkable happening, please add any of your own tips too ......

Make sure that your dog wears a collar and ID tag . With details of your surname, telephone number, address and postcode – if there's room put 'microchipped' on the tag if your dog has a chip. I would avoid putting your dogs name on there though, as this may aid the thief if they know the dogs name.

Microchip your dog so that it is identifiable should the collar and ID tag be removed.

Do not leave your dog tied up outside a shop or unattended in a car.

Keep all documentation relating to your dog in a safe place, and include clear photos of front and side profiles of your dog. Also take a note of any unusual markings.

Make sure that your dog does not go out of your sight on walks. Vary your walk times and routes if possible, to try to avoid a planned dog napping.

Be cautious when you invite people into your home to view dogs or puppies for sale. Restrict the number of visitors and their access, and always have someone with you.

Tell any strangers that are paying a interest in your dog that your dog is neutered as this will reduce the chances of theft for breeding.

Play your dog down by saying there a cross breed, they have health issues or aggression issues.

Make sure that your fencing is adequate and check it regularly for wear and tear. Keep your dog in view when it goes out into the garden.

Invest in a door alarm and fit it to your gate, so that visitors are heard entering the garden or keep your gate locked.

Watch for unfamiliar people or vehicles in your neighbourhood and know where your pet is at all times.

Good Advice. +1

I would add a mobile phone number as essential.

Usually if your dog goes missing or is stolen (at the time you probably don't know which)

Everyone is gonna be out on the street searching NOT sat beside the phone waiting for a call.

Thats some very good advice Shelly, mine are well secured and god forbid anyone who trys a dognapping with me as it wont be the dog thay will have to worry about, and I dont think Odin and Thor will go without a fight to :o

LOL yeah, anyone tries to take Darwin n Daughtry will have to get past Echo's teeth first.

Anyone who's met Echo at meets and tried to get up close and personal with Echo usually comes close to losing digits.ohmy.gif

Yep Andy spot on and if they get passed Echo then they must face Kells :D

LMAO. . . a fate worse than death. laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Thats some very good advice Shelly, mine are well secured and god forbid anyone who trys a dognapping with me as it wont be the dog thay will have to worry about, and I dont think Odin and Thor will go without a fight to :o

My boy would have gone with anyone..they would have soon brought him back though..not only was he netured but he also had a fetish for eating doors....blink.gif

And UPDATE your phone numbers! I found a little dog named Toby when I was out walking Max, and he was shivering in the snow and following us around, so I took him home and tried calling the numbers on his tag, but they were all outdated and simply didn't work. I resorted to going back to the neighborhood where I found him and asking around, and someone pointed me to a house that *might* own him. I left a note on the door and the (relieved) guy called me when he got home from work. If it wasn't for that, he would have gone to the humane society or something.

And UPDATE your phone numbers! I found a little dog named Toby when I was out walking Max, and he was shivering in the snow and following us around, so I took him home and tried calling the numbers on his tag, but they were all outdated and simply didn't work. I resorted to going back to the neighborhood where I found him and asking around, and someone pointed me to a house that *might* own him. I left a note on the door and the (relieved) guy called me when he got home from work. If it wasn't for that, he would have gone to the humane society or something.

Very good advice hun...+1 biggrin.gif

our's have 3 tags each

1= house number, post code, home num.

2 = mobile numbers and chipped,

3 = dog warden details and phone number and registration number, as all 3 are registered on wardens files compleat with photo.

garden is a 6 ft wall all round.

Odin is a grumpy sod who does not like strangers, pluss they go mad when they hear a noise xxxxxx