Nervous Wreck

imstarvin

Before November 11th I had a well balanced sociable dog. While walking past the remembrance parade they suddenly stomped to attention then the band started playing, needless to say Sashka nearly jumped out of her skin.

ohmy.gifunsure.gifThis was the beginning of an extremely nervous phobia.unsure.gifsad.gif Everyday I walk the two dogs to the park with no problems on the way there but when we reach the town Sashka freaks and is frightened of doorways, people, cars etc as you can imagine it is very difficult for me to control her. I normally use a walking belt and put on an extra lead on when we get to the town.

TODAY SHE SLIPPED THE COLLAR AND RAN ONTO THE ROAD, thankfully there were no cars coming and I got her back safely. I need help. This phobia is making life difficult for her and me.

So glad Sashka is ok. biggrin.gif

Daughtry is very nervous around new people or crowds.

She doesn't like people running towards her, or crowding around her. huh.gif

oh poor girl - can you walk her on a harness - which will make it less likely for her to escape - and could you take her up there on your own just you and her to do some one on one training with her so she can focus on you and some treats abit more - do you use a clicker that could help as when shes calm you can click and reward

First of all are you using a semi slip collar? Does it fit her properly? If she has a semi slip collar she should not be able to slip her collar at all. Secondly phobias... well Yuri has a water phobia so we work around it instead of bathing him I use damp cloths and waterless shampoo. I think this is one for a behaviorist. I wish I could help more :( Sometimes going somewhere where there are things they are afraid of can make it so much worse so I deffinatly surgest getting a behaviorist to work with you. Not one of those 'behaviorists' someone with a degree and experiance, perferably someone recomended by a vet or a friend who has used the same one with good results. Good luck!

I do use the harness but found she pulled more and was more difficult to control, If I take her on her own she is stressed the whole walk down to the park whereas if Mishka is with us she is alright apart from the short walk through the town. I will get a clicker and try that. Sashka is a greedy dog and loves treats but when she is in that state the treats don't work.

I looked up a behaviourist on the internet this morning, but you are right I need someone who comes highly recommended and I will get a semislip collar don't want that to happen again.

many thanks