collar or harness ??

kodah's dad

our little boy is due to begin his first walks in the big wide world this wkend. as a 12wk old puppy would you recommend using a collar or puppy harness as when he's had his collar n lead on in the house, he finds it funny to bounce n spin around like somthing possessd or sit there stubborn as a mule lol. as he's only young n growing i m concerned about him hurting his neck. reccomendations please......

our little boy is due to begin his first walks in the big wide world this wkend. as a 12wk old puppy would you recommend using a collar or puppy harness as when he's had his collar n lead on in the house' date=' he finds it funny to bounce n spin around like somthing possessd or sit there stubborn as a mule lol. as he's only young n growing i m concerned about him hurting his neck. reccomendations please......[/quote']

IMHO you should use a harness, but be prepared to start leash training for loose-leash walking immediately. If you let him start pulling you now, it'll be all the harder to break him of it.

our little boy is due to begin his first walks in the big wide world this wkend. as a 12wk old puppy would you recommend using a collar or puppy harness as when he's had his collar n lead on in the house' date=' he finds it funny to bounce n spin around like somthing possessd or sit there stubborn as a mule lol. as he's only young n growing i m concerned about him hurting his neck. reccomendations please......[/quote']

I only ever use harnesses, dont like the stress on the neck. The collar is there for the ID tag etc but the lead is attached to the Harness and a mini lead (no idea what they are supposed to be called) from harness to collar incase it breaks.

Harnesses do allow them to pull more, But start teaching them from Day 1 and you should be able to control it. There are loads of methods on here for stopping the pulling (unless you dont mind it like me :) ) Thing is to persist

from day 1 on how you want them to be when they are older.

The harness is designed to maximize the pulling power of the dog without putting strain on the neck (collar)

However if you want the Husky to walk nicely beside you, YOU have to put a LOT of one on one time with loose leash training.

This is lots of going nowhere for hours until they get the idea.

This is what we use.

zoJPUH6ULLc

im the opposite...i only ever walk shiloh on his collar..................way back when he was a puppy we went to puppy training classes...our trainer told us to train him to walk on a collar and thats what we've always done.......fair enough he now doesnt go out without his halti on aswell but thats jst from my personal choice.....i cant control him one bit when he is a harness as he pulls like a train :angry: