Scabbing on back?

Spinstorm

I have noticed Flash has some scabs on his back between his shoulder blades and spine. I noticed the fur is clumping tgether in that area and there is a 5 inch or ao long scab.

I took him to the vet yesterday and the nurse looked at him and said if it doesn't get better in a week to bring him back.

Tonight I have felt his back and it feels like there are more scabs than before lower down.

He has been given the monthly treatment for worming and fleas. There is nothing on his back - no ticks or insects are visible.

I will take him to see the actual vet tomorrow but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

No he has not been bitten. I do use a furminator on him and it may be possible that as he is moulting I brushed too hard but I haven't brushing him since the scabs were noticible the other day so unless the area was already bleeding which I'm sure I would have noticed I don't know if brushing him 2 days ago would cause more scabbing?It may be possible he scratched his back on something else but it hasn't happened in front of me.

He had the flea treatments in the area between his shoulders - so not the same area

Hmmmmm, then I'm out of ideas. Does he worry the area? Or does it not seem to bother him? How did he react when you messed with it?

Also, has he been in anything unusual? Have you changed his diet?

A nurse checked him. He hasn't actually seen the vet yet. He also hasn't eaten all day but he is not acting I'll. If anything he is extra energetic.

Hmmm, hard to say.

If they come up empty-handed ask for a thyroid test. I hear Sibes are prone to thyroid problems, which can cause skin issues. If he's gone hyperthyroid he would be more active.

Good luck!

In response to the question of what it looks like - it just looks like scabs. I can't see any soreness. Obviously I should be anle to see something but I can't. He has been hyper tonight but if anything he has been sleeping more than he used to the last couple of days but he was also neutered only 3 weeks ago.

Might me a mite. Have the vet do a few scin scrapings. Mickey had something that started as little scabs along his back which got worse and worse and worse until they finally diagnosed him. Demodex.

Ugh, Demodex must be rampant in FL. I have a friend who rescues bull terriers (not pits, the Spuds MacKensie type) from the SE and every dog she gets from FL has demodex. She uses a wormer to treat it, can't remember the name though. It's hard to treat, from what I've seen and heard.

Sure hope it isn't demodex.

ETA: and it sure makes the dogs miserable.

Promeris will treat it and so does ivermectin. We've done both before but since he had a relapse about a month ago we're trying a different approach this time which is working.

Ivermectin! The horse wormer I used to rotate with--that's it. DUH!

What are you trying? My friend has become something of an expert treating it, she's always up for a new approach for her rescues. If you want to take it to another thread, let me know.

It's called panoxyl. Bezyole peroxide is the active ingredient. It's a serious pita compared to ivermectin but I just didn't want to have to go down that path again. Right now it's only on his front feet so every other day we're rising his feet with warm water, cleaning his feet with the panoxyl, rinsing it with warm water, cleaning again, rinsing with warm water, and then putting his feet in a warm water bath with tea tree oil. And a final warm water rise. It's come around a LOT from what it was and I haven't had to use anything other than the panoxyl and tea tree oil. We've done about 5 of these foot baths so far.

I actually got this from another member here... I'm going to PM you the same pdf file she sent to me :)

There are 2 more photos. If it is a mite of some kind surely I would be able to see the thing when constantly brushing him and checking him?

The mites are nearly microscopic, you can't see them with the naked eye. The vet scrapes off a sample of skin from the surface and checks it under a microscope to determine if it's mites.

I've seen demodex when it's really bad, perhaps Arooroomom can give you the details on early stage.

My first thought on seeing the pics is fleas, the dark stuff looks like flea poo to me in the second pic. What do you use for fleas? Have you changed flea treatment lately?

But then maybe not. If it doesn't clear up soon, have the vet do a scrape or two, and have a thyroid test done just in case, if he/she doesn't know for sure.