Ought I have Sarah professionally evaluated? Nevermind!

elenamarie

I'm not all that knowlegable on Sibes, or dogs for that matter, but I've studied the breed standard and from my uneducated perspective she has a very nice conformation.

I need to decide when to have her spayed. But I also know that if by chance I want to show her conformation in the future, I couldn't if she's spayed.

I have a friend who knows one of the big Siberian show people in the state. She offered to link me up with him to have a look at Sarah.

Even if she has a perfect conformation I'm not so keen on breeding, that's a lot of risk and a whole lot more work. But if she's show quality I'm tinkering with the idea of showing her just for the heck of it.

I've never shown dogs, haven't the first clue what goes into it. But I hate to destroy any chance if Sarah is good enough to do it.

What do you think? Have her evaluated or go along as we have been, Sarah as our family pet? I certainly don't need anyone to tell me she's beautiful, or a scrap of ribbon to prove her worth. Yet it might be fun too.

<sigh> I dunno.

What sort of breeder did you get her from? The odds of getting a "show quality" Siberian without actually knowing you were after getting one are slim. Definitely get her checked out if you'd like but I don't see there being much of a chance unless she's from confirmation lines.

good info so far.

showing can be expensive fuel, time and entrance costs. i havent shown either but from what i gather its a long waiting game on many occations waiting for your slot during the day. you need a very content calm husky who is also patient.

secondly you need to do ring craft training NOW while she's young, and you will need to continue doing this. I'm not sure what the temperatures are for you but for us in the UK showing is in the summer and considerations need to be made that your dog may well get hot and fed up and would actually rather be splashing around in a cool stream than standing around showing off their pretty looks.

If your not sure then its probably not for you, how about taking up an activity like agility which provides more of a physical stimulation for you both??

Taking the decision not to get neutered is a serious one not to be taken lighly. you will need to be extra vigilant when she's on heat and for some bitches it can be a very messy time.

After sleeping on it and discussing it with hubby, I've realized how silly that thought was. I thank y'all for the sensitive responses (I know you had to be thinking, "idiot!" ) and reinforcing what I've decided.

Sarah is our pet, not a show dog.

Claire, I'd love to do agility but I'm not physically able to do it. Great idea, though, thanks!

LOL, I've never even though about showing my two.

and if I suddenly decided. . . Hmmmm let's see what that's all about.

I wouldn't have the first clue where to start.

Like yourself my first port of call would be here on the forum,

asking the same questions. smile.gif

After trying a few dog sports, conformation is by far the most boring! lol. You do get a rush, but there's sooo much waiting and it's boring for the dog. All they do is go around a ring and get touched. What's the fun in that for a dog. Since you can't do agility, you could try a hand at rally or obedience. I think I'm going to try rally. You follow the directions on signs and you can have your dog on leash (in the lower levels) and you can repeat the command as many times as you need to. From what I've seen, it's a little bit easier than obedience, but still fun though not quite as fun as agility IMO. But I just really like agility! :) Oh and there's tracking. I haven't tried that yet, but my mom keeps asking me if I want to try that with my girls.

Wanted to add, I said all of that because it looks like you are more interested in doing conformation for fun rather than to find out if she's good breeding stock. If I had someone nearby that could check her out, I would and I did with my first one. But don't get your feeling hurt if they say she's not show quality. The lady I showed Siku's pics to was rather mean about it and actually made fun of her right in front of me! But if you're friends with the person, it probably won't be as bad.

After trying a few dog sports, conformation is by far the most boring! lol. You do get a rush, but there's sooo much waiting and it's boring for the dog. All they do is go around a ring and get touched. What's the fun in that for a dog. Since you can't do agility, you could try a hand at rally or obedience. I think I'm going to try rally. You follow the directions on signs and you can have your dog on leash (in the lower levels) and you can repeat the command as many times as you need to. From what I've seen, it's a little bit easier than obedience, but still fun though not quite as fun as agility IMO. But I just really like agility! :) Oh and there's tracking. I haven't tried that yet, but my mom keeps asking me if I want to try that with my girls.

Wanted to add, I said all of that because it looks like you are more interested in doing conformation for fun rather than to find out if she's good breeding stock. If I had someone nearby that could check her out, I would and I did with my first one. But don't get your feeling hurt if they say she's not show quality. The lady I showed Siku's pics to was rather mean about it and actually made fun of her right in front of me! But if you're friends with the person, it probably won't be as bad.

Yeah, it would be a fun thing, not a serious breeding thing. I'm really not interested in breeding.

Rally, hmmmmm. That might be something we can do. I'll check it out, thanks!

And I kind of figured I'd hear she's not "up to par." I hate to spay her without getting it from someone other than me, who as I said isn't all that knowlegable.

Whether she's show material or not, she's still my girl. :wub:

:lol:

good info so far.

showing can be expensive fuel, time and entrance costs. i havent shown either but from what i gather its a long waiting game on many occations waiting for your slot during the day. you need a very content calm husky who is also patient.

secondly you need to do ring craft training NOW while she's young, and you will need to continue doing this. I'm not sure what the temperatures are for you but for us in the UK showing is in the summer and considerations need to be made that your dog may well get hot and fed up and would actually rather be splashing around in a cool stream than standing around showing off their pretty looks.

If your not sure then its probably not for you, how about taking up an activity like agility which provides more of a physical stimulation for you both??

Taking the decision not to get neutered is a serious one not to be taken lighly. you will need to be extra vigilant when she's on heat and for some bitches it can be a very messy time.

I just talked to my pal who shows her bullies and she confirmed something I only suspected based upon my experience with horses. The dog show circuit is also infested with the pettiness and absurd politics I detested on the horse circuit. If I had any doubts before, it's decided now. There isn't enough fun in it to make up for that crap.

So time to decide when to have the surgery scheduled. Many thanks to all who listened to me thinking aloud. Or whatever. ;)

:lol:

I just talked to my pal who shows her bullies and she confirmed something I only suspected based upon my experience with horses. The dog show circuit is also infested with the pettiness and absurd politics I detested on the horse circuit. If I had any doubts before, it's decided now. There isn't enough fun in it to make up for that crap.

So time to decide when to have the surgery scheduled. Many thanks to all who listened to me thinking aloud. Or whatever. ;)

There is a fair amount of politics in showing, which is one of the reasons I'm doing very little of it, these days. By and large, the Siberian exhibitors (at least a few years ago) are more often than not nice, although occasionally, even a nice bunch can get a bit snippy. Even the folks from the larger kennels will say "hi" and talk with you, once they know you a bit, which is nice. It's a breed where an exhibitor can show their own dog, still, and actually win with it - it can be more difficult with other breeds, from what I've heard.

Like most other social groups, you have to go into it being friendly, but not trusting anyone too far, until you know who can be trusted to be a friend, even when you beat the pants off of them! I've had fun showing, particularly at Siberian Specialty (only Siberians) shows - you have opportunity there to see a lot of Siberians, and there is more time to just sit around and talk with friends you may not have seen for a while. At all-breed shows, it's more rush away after you've shown, unless you took Best of Breed.

Don't know for sure how competitive the folks doing Rally (a friend does it, and loves it!) have gotten, as it's relatively new, but don't fool yourself that competitors in obedience and agility can't be every bit as cut-throat as those in conformation! More of that, I'm sure, when you're at the upper levels than a novice, however.

She looks lovely in the picture, but couldn't begin to give an opinion beyond that - would need to see more. Doesn't matter, I guess, as you've decided not to show... Enjoy whatever else you decide to pursue! biggrin.gif

I think its a great idea not the stuck up shows like cruffs where you are expected to have a championship breed line as long as your arm ( well the ones that win nearly always have ) I mean the fun shows I'd like to do that :)

Just what I was going to suggest Dunc.. why not have a look for a few local fun companion shows? Their ALOT less strict (about conformation and also usually about the entire reproductive thing) and also alot less bitchy and you can get the same ribbons and rush of having someone pick your dog as the prettiest without all the hassle of actual competative showing... I have done afew of these with my girlie and even won some ribbons! :)

Other than that you have some really good info on some other dog sports you can do with her for funs! :D

If you get her looked at and they think she looks good, check out AKC matches. They are like practice shows and the judges will sometimes give you tips. I've just gone to one, but I really enjoyed it. We were the only husky there, but we beat a rottie and dobie in our group! You could tell that a lot of the people there really didn't know what they were doing, but the judges were being very nice about it and giving out advice. I definitely wouldn't go straight into a show until you've done a few matches and feel comfortable with it all. And Match B's are more relaxed than Match A's I believe. I think B's are supposed to be mostly for practice and A's are like a mock show.