Daughter wants the whole world at my house...eeep!

Removed #1

So as the kids are getting ready for school, my husband comes to me and asks if I'll talk with our oldest daughter (she's 9) about some flyers she was planning on putting up all over town today.

Now...she didn't make just one or two of these flyers...we're talking about an entire ream of paper that she's taken to her room and decorated.

These darling flyers read as follows:

PLEASE HELP THE ANIMALS

Call: (Insert my home phone number here) by 4:30pm

or just walk to: (Insert my home address here)

I asked her for a little bit more explanation...and she said she wants to help all the pets that people don't want anymore and all the endangered animals in the deciduous forests near us. Now...I rent...and we have two dogs and four children...my landlord hates animals and dogs...and my lease is going to be coming up soon. I can't imagine how said landlord would react if she came by and we had all the strays in the city in our house...even if just by some strange misunderstanding perpetuated by my daughter.

She's quite determined in this particular quest...so I need to come up with some 'charity' type work for her to do that won't endanger where we currently live...

About our town: Population: >3000 people and dwindling. We have no animal shelter in our County...but we do have a city pound run by the police department. The forests she brought up...are everywhere. We're four blocks from Lake Michigan...and where there isn't city...there is forest or farms...

There is a house outside of town that would perhaps suit our needs, and her desires in a significantly better way...however I think we're a ways off from obtaining that particular property...

What you didn't see in the garage was a hand painted sign saying. . .

"Pet store opening soon."

Little Entrepreneurs, crafty see. biggrin.gif

At home internet access is supervised...but I'm not certain as to how closely they monitor it at school or the library...talking with her when she gets home this afternoon...maybe I'll have had some time to come up with a compromise of sorts before then so her little spirit isn't crushed...but I'm not going insane...

Bless her :) Compassion for those less fortunate - exactly what the world needs right now. In a nine year old, that sort of thinking comes from the heart of the home, so well done to you :)

How do you channel this without ending up in the poor house, I don't know exactly. Maybe she can start a newsletter (one or two A4 pages), with stories about the animals in the area, some about nature and the area you live in, she could get her friends to contribute stories and perhaps sell to the parents to cover costs or raise some money to help animals in need ?

You definitely have a challenge on your hands, but well done to her :lol:

Could she not get her school involved and maybe set up a re-home pet drive ???

For example - little Elliot really wants a rabbit and Ellie no longer has time to care for her bunny...Your daughter would be the one in charge of the re-homing process....

I wish more kids had thoughts like this...but you really don't want any tom, **** or harry showing up on your door step or calling late at night!!!blink.gif

Good Luck biggrin.gif

That's certainly something to look into! I've considered encouraging her to donate a portion of her allowance...but decided against it because one of the agreements we made with her when she got Tinkerbell (beagle barker extraordinaire) was that she met us halfway on paying for her food, shots, and spaying. I definitely don't want her to get the impression that it's okay to neglect the pets you do have in favor of animals you don't know.

Okay...so we've come up with a compromise...she's going to be making necklaces and putting them on Etsy...$1 from every Necklace will go towards an animal charity of her choosing, $1 will go towards buying a spay/neuter certificate for someone else at our vets office and the remaining money she makes will go towards her own quest to earn enough to pay a portion of her Beagles spaying in a couple of months...

She's also looking into trying to put together a fundraiser to fence the open portion of our cities only fenced in on three sides dog park....or some other community project. I'll keep you all posted