Keeping water in the bowl. Please help!

CourtneyBelcher

When I got my Husky a little over a month ago, I noticed that if I put a bowl of water down he would drink it all immediately. I could put another full bowl down and he would drink it too. Well then I started measuring out the wate r I gave him, givinghim a little at a time. He always seems thirsty though, and I hate the thought of him wanting water and not having any. So yesterday I starting trying to transition to keeping water in his bowl so he can get a drink whenever he wants. He drank down about 2 bowls of water. After that he started puking some of the water up. Then later he started peeing and wouldn't let me know he had to go out. He was even laying down one time and peed. This morning when I got up he had tracked through the house peeing. I laid back down and a few hours later he threw up, only this time it had a thick consistency, not just water. Obviously he is drinking way more than his tummy and bladder can hold. I don't understand why he continues to drink until it makes him sick. I want to be able to keep water down for him to drink, but I don't know how to get to that point, and I don't like that he sick because I tried this. :-/ He does drink about 2 bowls of water and then he'll stop after that. Appartently 2 bowls is just too much though.

After doing a search after reading your post, the information I read concerned me - there appear to be many reasons this could be happening. Some very serious medical issues, others not.

I would def. set up an appointment with your vet to discuss this.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well, Rusty's original owners got in touch with me today (2 other families had him before I did). I never knew the original owners, but when he got lost this weekend someone called the phone number on his rabies tag, which was their's. She called me to tell me that I didn't need to spend a lot of money on tests to try and figure out why he was drinking and peeing so much because she had already had a lot of them done. He was tested for diabetes, had blood drawn, and some other tests. She said that she was going to have one more test done before she gave him away to find out for sure. It was an ultrasound test to find out if Rusty was born with both of his kidneys. If this is the case, it would only require a change in diet. I'm glad that she contacted me so I can start figuring out what to do for him. I hope that once we have this tests done we can find out for sure what's wrong.