Issue with Dry Foods

Hello All,

New here, been reading for a few weeks now.

Picked up Solla ( nearly 11 weeks old now ) about three weeks ago.

She was being fed on Purina dry foods prior to moving to her new home.

She had loose stools when I got her. Brought her to the vet two days after picking her up to give her a once over. Vet recommended Hills Science Plan Dry Food. Loose stools improved the day after starting her on the Hills but two days later it was back to loose stools again.

Decided to try her on some boiled rice and chicken which works wonders with the loose stools, all firm.

After about five days on chicken and rice, decided to try her back on dry foods, but "Select Gold Sensitive " this time. Loose stools have returned again.

Any advice on which food I could try now?

Thanks for reading and for any advice :-)

Regards,

Mick.

Sounds look too many changes in foods in a short space of time. Personally I'm not a fan of hills. Purina is ok... but very costly.

Personally I would recommend either CSJ or Best Choice, but that's because they are the brands that have worked for me so.. Theres lots to choose from, but it's about finding one and sticking with it for a few weeks.

Also avoid giving the rice and chicken to see whether the food actually makes an improvement to the stools over time.

Too much change will upset their tummy and wont allow you to see whats actually working for you.

Stacey xxx

check your not over feeding. huskys really dont need much food. the instructions will make a recommendation perhaps 200-250g per day (or what ever) then aim for the lower amount.

offer 3 or 4 meals a day.

I also assume that the food is being soaked with water?

i assume pup is wormed?

BTW - vets always recommend science plan...anyone would think they own shares in it but its because their training is based on it, but its not the worlds best food

Hi,

Thanks for the rapid replies :)

I am a little concerned about changing the food so often too, just looking for the best food, want to make sure Solla gets all that she needs.

Have stayed within the recommended guidelines in terms of weight but have not been soaking the food in Water. I have her water dish beside the dry food and always with fresh water to make sure she does not go thirsty.

Solla has been wormed twice since I got her as per the vets guidelines and due another tablet in two weeks time.

Regards,

Mick.

i'd defo soak the food in some water a good half an hour before feeding. he's a pup and he may not be crunching the biscuits altho i dont think that will cause the upset tummy.

compare ingredients of a number of brands of foods and you will be shocked.

compare

taste of the wild

CJS

wainwrights

science plan

quest

etc

Hi Mick,

I also had a number of problems with Kai when we first rehomed him, It does seem to be a husky thing that they can be prone to some digestive upset and finding the right food can be a trial and error process. Initially we tried what the vet said which was a rice and chicken diet, bought bags of rice and a load of chicken breasts with no improvement in Kai, a little more research and I found out that Huskies really aren't great with rice!

We then started with UNCOOKED chicken wings 2 per day and a meal of cooked sweet potato, 2/3rd's of a chicken breast, peas and carrotts worked for him, not cheap in the slightest but I thought that it would do until I did more research and could sort it out more long term I also throw in a whole frozen mackerel every couple of days to keep the oils up, It seems to work, no tummy upset and he gobbles it up.

It seems that raw feeding is the way forward for Huskies but you need a lot of research, a sympathetic Butcher and Wife/Partner (mine is quite squeamish).

I have now sourced and settled on a dry food called Orijen and started Kai on it yesterday, the reviews on this stuff are really good. see what you think. He Seems to like it and the ingredients are awesome, Jeez I sound like an Advert

www.orijenpetfoods.co.uk/acatalog/stockists.html

This list also has suppliers in Eire.

www.tamaskan-forum.com

www.itsahuskything.com

Also check out these other sites I learnt quite a lot from reading the posts and asking questions.

The people on this a site know a lot more than me and will be able to help further i'm sure but a wide perspective can't hurt.

Also don't forget you Pup may be a little stressed as it's in a new environment and needs to settle down

Good luck and Happy Days

Let me know how you get on!

Keir.

Another good food to try is Merrick. I find it works perfectly for my boy.

Oh - and when switching brands/formulas...make sure to ease in the new one gradually and fade out the old one. It'll avoid upset stomachs.

For example: you could do 75% of her old brand and 25% of her new brand. A day later do 50/50, and the next do 25% of the old and 75% of the new.

We have used orijen alot (very expensive) but goes a long way and also acana also expensive .we tend to mix it up some days he gets chicken wings raw mince pig trotters we also try to add fruits to the mix apples ,banannas blueberrys rasberrys,he loves raw carrots try adding some natuaral yohgurt he sometimes has days when his poo is rummy but 99% of the time its all good(if poo can be good)

Number 1 cause of loose stools in Husky pups is overfeeding. The chart on the bag is often times just too much food. Also, avoid foods that contain corn, wheat, or soy. Those are potential allergens and also don't provide much in the way of nutrients. When making a switch from one food to the next, I like to make the change over a seven day period.

Wow Mick I had similar problems with Czar Demon Dragunov with loose stools and the breeder we got him from was feeding him Diamond. I brought him to the vet for his 3rd round of worming when I asked about the stool problem and Diamond brand. Our vet said she was not impressed with either Diamond or iams, but that actually Purina with chicken or Eukenuba is even better than those other two which are touted above Purina. Does anybody have any luck with Eukenuba or Purina?

We had same problem with storm at that age. he is now on wainwrights puppy and poos are fine. the vets dont always know best, most know f all about huskies. (not intended to start a riot vets). i know its frustrating but it gets better with time and perseverance finding the rite food for him.

You also need to gradually introduce the new food as they have a very sensitive tummy, so 90% old food and 10% new food for the first day, then 80% and 20% on the 2nd for example, Always feed less then on the packet too!

Hope this helps

Wow Mick I had similar problems with Czar Demon Dragunov with loose stools and the breeder we got him from was feeding him Diamond. I brought him to the vet for his 3rd round of worming when I asked about the stool problem and Diamond brand. Our vet said she was not impressed with either Diamond or iams, but that actually Purina with chicken or Eukenuba is even better than those other two which are touted above Purina. Does anybody have any luck with Eukenuba or Purina?

Hi Attila,we feed Shadow purina and have also put our rescue girl on it,we've had no problems whatsoever once i got the amounts right,i was guilty of over-feeding simply because there didnt look much in their bowl.

they both have solid poops and appear to be nice and healthy

when i feed storm the recommended amount he looks thin..i mean he stomach seems to sink in?? so i always give him a bit more...:-/ also he doesnt seem to settle on the recommended amount he still seems hungry is there something else they can have instead of more food then or is it simply im feeding the wrong food ( he is on similar to bakers but im thinking of changing to wainwrights?)

when i feed storm the recommended amount he looks thin..i mean he stomach seems to sink in?? so i always give him a bit more...:-/ also he doesnt seem to settle on the recommended amount he still seems hungry is there something else they can have instead of more food then or is it simply im feeding the wrong food ( he is on similar to bakers but im thinking of changing to wainwrights?)

The most common cause of loose stools in baby puppies is overfeeding. Their system is overloaded with too much food to process, so their body gets rid of the excess as quickly as it can. Unfortunately, the fluid loss involved in this can be dangerous for the pup.

First of all, give the pup a "detox" day. Don't feed it at all for 24 hours. Just plenty of clean water to flush out the system. Then reintroduce the dry food but bear in mind that huskies have very efficient metabolisms and don't need as much food to produce the necessary nourishment as do other breeds.

Make sure you are using a good quality food of which meat is the major component. Cereal rich foods are not what your pup needs.

11 weeks is a bit young, but for slightly older puppies, substituting raw chicken wings for one of its daily meals will clear up loose stools almost instantaneously.

The other thing you can do is to give him one probiotic yoghurt drink each day (Yakult etc - unflavoured) which will aid digestion.

Dry foods all look alike ,but there is a huge difference in quality. We use Best Choice, and when we recently ran out (we gave four bags out to rescue fosterers - I thought I had another six bags in the shed, but didn't) we used another brand. What was immediately noticeable was the huge increase in the amount of pooh generated by the dogs on the "new" food. It was a nightmare! The better the food you use, the less pooh you get - simples!

Mick

I feed Storm Eukanuba puupy food for large breeds-shes seems great on it and our other adult dogs keep nicking it out of her bowl so it must be doing some good! I was in the pet store yesterday and had a look at the ingredients in all of the brands one was Purina- it has meat and animal DERATIVES so be careful cos thats all the cr@p of the day frm the animal. Just have a look at the ingredients and decide whats best, Orijen is very good-although expensive the puppy will eat less of it because theres more of the good stuff in it (think in our terms between a good steak and chips or a mcdonalds meal-which will fill you up more ?) Im gonna try that stuff when ive finished with eukanuba to make sure she gets the best stuff!! :)