Considering nuetering asap

Graphitezor

My Sibe is about 11 months old, he is suffering from hyperactivity. For example, if someone walks into the residence he will go NUTS.. run at them going full speed, jump on them, and won't leave them alone. They will try to walk down the hall way and all he will do is run at them jump then jump off continuously. To a lot of my guests it has make them hate my dog just because of his hyperactivity and jumping problems. Like he does this even with my room mates he sees quite often, he'll chase them around the residence. With one of my room mates he shows a little aggression to, he'll tell him to "Get" firmly and my Sibe starts to bark, usually he has a puppy bark but with this particular room mate it turns into a mature, maybe aggressive sounding bark with more oomph and bass. There's been a few certain people he goes absolutely crazy for and jump on them or "bother" them more than other people. He never does this to me, only if I am gone for a long period of time. Even if he does I tell him to "Get Down" firmly, and he gets down. With guests that command is invisible to him, he looks at me then keeps doing it. Sometimes when people sit on the couch he will jump up and try to nip at them or just put his front paws on them like he is dominating them possibly? Does this have something to do with him being not neutered? He can't be no where near another dog cause he goes completely ape-like, barking, whining, jumping on them, sometimes aggression is involved depending on if the other dog gets annoyed with it and shows aggression first.

I need some opinions will neutering do anything to help with the problems I listed above? If I do wanted to see some of the dominance or personality traits to diminish when is the best time to neuter him?

neutering imo won't stop the running up and jumping at people - for this i'd suggest a long training line - when people come in hold the line so he cant jump at people then ask them to ignore him totally - no eye contact or anything......ONLY when he's calm, ask them to acknowledge he's there - won't work first time or the second but consistency and patience will work :)

What foods he on and how much exercise does he get per day? x

Yes, Neutering MAY help, however it doesn't guarantee that your sibe will calm down.

My first thought reading your post is . . .

What do you feed him ??

A lot of hyperactivity is linked to food.

Jumping up at visitors is something that should have been addressed as a puppy and taught

that it is NOT ok to do this.

One method is that YOU greet the visitor away from the husky.

Give the visitor a treat.

The visitor must make the Husky SIT before he gets the treat.

This way the Husky will learn that when a visitor comes in,

IF he sits then he will get a treat.

Thus stopping the jumping.

However it is very common for Huskies to give visitors to the home a far more enthusiastic welcome that to it's owners.

He does spend 4-5 hours on average a day by himself cause I have to usually work and my GF who cares for him has to go to classes inbetween that time. Would separation anxiety have something to do this? I don't think he would be doing it because of fear? There's no one here to scare him, he gets along with everyone and plays with everyone.

He is on Taste of the Wild and I currently give him about 2 cups a day, his appetite hasn't been as much as it used to be. He used to go wild for his food, now he is calm about it. Will smell it then walk away and eat whenever he feels like he is hungry I guess.

He does spend 4-5 hours on average a day by himself cause I have to usually work and my GF who cares for him has to go to classes inbetween that time. Would separation anxiety have something to do this? I don't think he would be doing it because of fear? There's no one here to scare him, he gets along with everyone and plays with everyone.

He is on Taste of the Wild and I currently give him about 2 cups a day, .

OK scratch my initial idea of being hyper because of food.

LOL TOTW is as good as it gets.

So you need to work on his behavior.

Have you considered a second Husky for comapany.

Despite the first reaction "Surely I'll be doubling the problem"

Huskies love company and someone to play with while you and your GF are out, may help.

However the Jumping at visitors IS a training issue.

leaving him on his own i don't think would cause him to act the way he does - jumping at people etc - my 2 are left on their own for a few hrs at a time and yeah when i get back they're happy to see me but they don't knock me flying

How much exercise does he get? It may be not enough by the sounds of it?

Although neutering may not solve the problem....well it wont without training also anyway....but neautering is definitely a good idea for the many health and behaviour benefits...unless of course you are planning to either show or breed him.

It sounds like training would help, as well as upping the exercise if you can. But if you do go for the neautering option...be aware that it can be up to a year before you will see any effect. Even in rabbits it takes 6 months for the testosterone levels to drop after neutering. There isn't going to be a quick fix. Training line sounds like a great starting point tho.

Could be my training at fault here, the thing is. He doesn't listen to me when company comes over. I can get him to stop jumping on me if he does do that to me which he does when I am gone all day and he is happy to see me. I do a firm "Get Down" and he reacts promptly removing his front paws off of me, same with when he tries to throw his front paws on my bed when me and my GF are in bed watching TV. He reacts promptly to us then with it's just us 3 but when I do it when guests are around he looks like at me, stops for a second then continues on with what he is doing. Maybe he is challenging me by not listening when guests are present? What should I do to efficiently stop this from happening when guests come around? The treat idea sounds good but that would end up being A LOT of treats cause he does this often, wouldn't he begin to ignore the treats from over-using them?

Also i'll try to incorporate some exercise into his daily regimen which I have been lacking to be honest.