trying to be boss?

jess812

hello, Ive got a Siberian husky (Max) aged 3 years 6 months.

Well all of a sudden hes started weeing/marking his tettority in our bathoom. But only when my husband goes to the toilet, not me. There have been no changes what so ever in how the lifestyle is for him, eating, exercise, play time, sleeping etc. Is he trying to be 'boss' of my husband? to be the top dog? My husband is the boss of him and always has been. a few times hes tried to be boss an show his teeth at my husband but that was when he was younger.

Now i dont know it this matters but im pregnant, but im almost 28 weeks so its not something new. I dont know if he knows i am as he doesnt jump up at me anymore, not sure if thats because we told him off everytime he went to when we first found out i was expecting so hes learnt not to jump at me or if he doesnt because he knows im pregnant. :S

We have another dog, golden Labrador (Toby) but they were brought up together as pups, Max is the boss out of them, but nothing has changed between them either.

Thanks for reading & all info is helpful, Thank you.

Jess

Hi Jess and welcome to the pack :)

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

It sounds like he's displaying his dominance, i would get your husband to keep the bathroom door shut when he's finished so he can't go in there and carry it on :)

Hi Jess and welcome to the pack :)

Congrats on your pregnancy :)

It sounds like he's displaying his dominance, i would get your husband to keep the bathroom door shut when he's finished so he can't go in there and carry it on :)

Yeah hes going to keep the door closed. One little problem is if he really wants to go in there then he will, He can open doors himself. Very clever sod!!

Hi Jessica,

The way I describe my relationship with Niko is that, every day when we get up, Niko has it in his head that today is the day he'll take charge of the pack. So, it's important every day that we repeat all the compliance behaviours that remind him I'm still in charge. I''m not saying one should be mean to their Siberians, just make sure to remind him that you are in charge.

Good luck with the marking, Richard.

post-2418-13585962499525_thumb.jpg

Hey, Newbie here, but i was in this thread because it reminds me of my dog. I was wondering what you mean by compliance behaviors and if you could give me an example. I think that's what we need to try with my Gambit. Thanks

Hi Jessica,

The way I describe my relationship with Niko is that, every day when we get up, Niko has it in his head that today is the day he'll take charge of the pack. So, it's important every day that we repeat all the compliance behaviours that remind him I'm still in charge. I''m not saying one should be mean to their Siberians, just make sure to remind him that you are in charge.

Good luck with the marking, Richard.

I've heard there are some male huskies who constantly challenge you for the alpha role. My question to you would be if you keep his obedience training constant. to elabortate, do you still practice commands with him? do you still force him to do something, even as simple as sit and stay, before you feed him? do you or do you still make him sleep in a crate? does he pull on the leash? does he try to claim other things such as the couch or the bed?

huskies need consistency when asking them to obey you, you need to teach them what the rules are and keep that constant, and don't forge tot reward them every now and then for being obedient. you need to be strict (in a good way)

Disclaimer: This is mostly in fun and a joke, but I'd be interested to see if someone has actually tried it!

I read somewhere (I think it was in Siberian Huskies for Dummies?) that if a male owner is having dominance issues with his dog and he has a private backyard, he should follow the dog around outside, and every time the dog marks something, so does the owner. The trick is to make sure you outlast the dog peeing! :lol: Probably just a myth.

I've heard there are some male huskies who constantly challenge you for the alpha role. My question to you would be if you keep his obedience training constant. to elabortate, do you still practice commands with him? do you still force him to do something, even as simple as sit and stay, before you feed him? do you or do you still make him sleep in a crate? does he pull on the leash? does he try to claim other things such as the couch or the bed?

huskies need consistency when asking them to obey you, you need to teach them what the rules are and keep that constant, and don't forge tot reward them every now and then for being obedient. you need to be strict (in a good way)

Hello, Yes he does challange sometimes but not often with my husband. He knows hes the boss as when he doesnt listen to me by husband then says an he listens straight away.... He sleeps upstairs with us both, sometimes he comes up on the bed for cuddles & a fuss but always sleeps under the bed underneath my husband. He does pull on the lead but always has, he was poorly trained with been walked as my husband was in Afghanistan when i got him. Im disabled unable to walk him at the time an when my male friends took him out they just let him do what he wants. He is alot better than he used to be with been walked though i must admit. Only my husband takes him out though. about half way on our walks he does calm down an doesnt pull as much....

With rules yes everyday we get him to do the commands of waiting to eat, sitting, laying, paw and 'please' with both paws in the air. these are daily things he does an listens very well. My husband last night was play fighting with him and pinned him down for 5 seconds without him struggling, Seems thats worked as he is listening to him again alot more instead of been told more than once to do his command.

Disclaimer: This is mostly in fun and a joke, but I'd be interested to see if someone has actually tried it!

I read somewhere (I think it was in Siberian Huskies for Dummies?) that if a male owner is having dominance issues with his dog and he has a private backyard, he should follow the dog around outside, and every time the dog marks something, so does the owner. The trick is to make sure you outlast the dog peeing! :lol: Probably just a myth.

lmao - i read that too :lol: