Whining and Howling

bksheppard

Silas has started this new behavior that is started to become to over the top. In the mornings around the same time the boys go outside to have their breakfast, go to the bathroom, and wait for us to get up. My husband and i work night shift so we would sleep until around noon. For the past week Silas has gotten into the habit of howling and whining while he is outside. The first time he did it was because my husband got home one morning, let them out, and forgot to put the food out. But ever since then the food has been out, they have water and he just howls, whine, and howls some more. We live in a duplex on the air force base and I'm starting to get worried that our neighbors are going to complain. There isn't a reason for him doing it. He has all he needs, plus we have their outside chew toys out there...we just bough two new toys and replaced two of the old ones. Also, Koda is out there with him and Koda isn't howling or whining. It just makes no since. Any ideas to how to get him to stop?

Not sure about this, if it was one dog on his own i'd say, needs another dog for company but its weird he does it even though hes outside, has food etc and comapny...

i would say ignore it so he learns it doesn't get him anywhere, or find something to keep him busy so he's too occupied with say something yummy (kong with filling, raw hide bone or just raw meaty bone etc) something thats takes some time to eat and that would keep him busy until you get up, as i think he is probably doing it cause he knows it will get you up.

Yeah, we don't go outside until we get up, we just let him howl. I'm just worried that the neighbors are going to get mad. I'm starting to think its a type of separation anxiety. When he is inside if we go into a room or upstairs he starts whining...but no howling. I just hope he stops.

Sounds like he want to be with you- a little separation - Be proactive with neighbors if you can so they don't complain.

What happens when you bring him in? What happens when you go out there with him? Does he still whine? If not then thats probly whats going on, He misses you.

So- Thats a little work to fix - Your going to have to stay awake when he goes out. Try to be patient with this.

This is the same as crate training except you can go out and treat/praise when he's quiet.

You also could try a muzzle, leave it on till he's quiet, then treat/praise and remove. As soon as he starts again, replace muzzle till quiet.

This can be very time consuming.

The old toys are just up in the cabinet. There is only one toy they can't live without so it stays out all the time. We switch toys about every month just to keep them from getting bored with the ones that they have out. I'd figured if he missed a toy this would be going on for a longer time than just a week.

When he comes inside he normally does fine unless my husband or I walk out of the room he's in or if we go passed their gate (which normally blocks them from going upstairs). When we go into another room he normally follows and if he can't get to us then he does a quick small whine but then stops in under 30 seconds. When we go outside with them we normally play tag or fetch. No whining though he's fine if he is around us. He use to hate being around us and wanted to be independent but now a lot is changing.

It sounds like anixoty maybe try a kong with peanut butter in stick it in the freezer it might take his mind of you and focus on the treat. You also could try the shhh command when you hear him whine or howl says shhh then when he is quite reward him and praise high everytime he does it do the same thing. Try it when you are awake stick him outside wait until he howls or whines then say shhh and wait until he stops then reward it will take time but in the end might work good luck x