do toys actually work?

Kirbysowner

I was wondering if toys like the kong actually work? I just bought kirby a kong toy:

My link

we were thinking of also buying a regular kong, but at first he played with the ball for 1 min. Next day I put treats and a soft-boiled chicken bone in it with a piece sticking out of the toy. he eats the bone sticking out, plays with it for 5 mins and that is it.....there's still treats and par tof the bone inside, but he just doesn't wanna play with it anymore because it is harder to take anything out. so I'm wondering if any one else has the same problem, and if not what toy has actually worked for you?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've used Kongs with Lyra since she was a puppy. At first it took her a couple of days to "figure" them out, but now she LOOOOVES them. We have a normal, small-sized Kong for her, and anytime she sees it she automatically runs to her kennel because that's normally where we give it to her. We usually just fill it up with some peanut butter.

We also have a Kong Wobbler for her, which dispenses treats/food if she knocks it over correctly. This also took her a while to figure out, but now we use it to give her part of her breakfast. She's pretty good at getting the food out.

I'd say that at the end of the day, it does depend on the dog. Maybe you could try some different stuffers? Peanut butter, cheese, apples, etc?

He might not be very motivated for the food inside. Maybe try something really smelly and enticing for him so he actually wants to try harder to get to it?

Failing that maybe get a puppy kong so that he's able to destroy it. He might find it more fun if he gets to tear it up :P Then give him treats in the stronger kong again to see if it's made him any more interested.

It could also be the time you gave it to him. Was he hungry enough to want the treats? Were there more interesting thigs for him to be doing? Try to give it to him more when he's really bored and hasn't got much else to do.

I bought my boy a Kong too. I actually had to show him how to use it. (I didn't use my tongue! I used my fingers! :P) and he caught on. He has loved it ever since.

I usually put part of his main meal in there (then I don't give him as much for supper) and he's usually at it for hours. Sometimes I pack it down too hard and he needs my help (bang against the floor) to loosen it.

@ Hy,shqa: he had just woken up from a 3 hours nap. previous to that he ran for 90 mins and walked for 60 mins. I'm sure he was hungry because once he got bored, he went to the kitchen and tried to eat some of the mac n cheese. I'm sure he is bored because right now he is just laying int he middle of the apartment, and all his toys are put away. and besides a delicious chicken bone, what else could be more enticing? I boiled the bone in chicken broth for hours to make it tasty.

@Sarah: what kong do you have and what do you put inside?

@soliktaryhowl: my wife and I spent 30 mins showing him he has to chew and throw in the air in order to take things out. maybe need to teach him more

I'm just looking for a toy that can keep him entertained for like an hours maybe, that way he doesn't keep asking me to take him to the dog park, he loves to exercise tooooooo muchhh

FYI, and I forgot to mention this before:

I believe cooked chicken bones are extremely dangerous. They splinter and can cause internal bleeding (rupturing of the intestines) which is definitely not good! Try to not cook the bones next time - raw bones are safe!

SolitaryHowl is correct about the bone, I missed that you said you'd cooked it. Very dangerous to the digestive system.

Also I said something with a strong smell, even stewed bones aren't going to have much flavour, just an interesting texture. Garlic sausage is a good one - absolutely stinks, but bound to make him drool :lol:

athena doesn't care for her kong after it gets too hard for her to get the treat out. but she LOVES her puppy kong squeaker. she'll just chew and squeak it for days if i let her. the other day, she was tossing it through the air and chasing it and she tossed it and hit me smack in the nose!

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a kong for ours and they tore it apart as soon as my back was turned!

I am struggling to find any toys that last more than 5 minutes. Squeakers are pulled out straight away (I can keep them amused for hours tho randomly squeeking it!) Stuffed toys are a no-no! The only toy they have left is a bigish plastic ball that they play football together with until Oscar takes it away!

I got a kong for ours and they tore it apart as soon as my back was turned!

I am struggling to find any toys that last more than 5 minutes. Squeakers are pulled out straight away (I can keep them amused for hours tho randomly squeeking it!) Stuffed toys are a no-no! The only toy they have left is a bigish plastic ball that they play football together with until Oscar takes it away!

ever heard of Kong Wubba? It sounds pretty tough

They look good, and not so expensive that I'd be upset if completely wrecked in 2 minutes flat!

will the "one toy per dog" rule help? @GizMaiz&Diesel buys her baby boy Kong Wubba and as far as I know it survived for a pretty good period of time O_O

will the "one toy per dog" rule help? @GizMaiz&Diesel buys her baby boy Kong Wubba and as far as I know it survived for a pretty good period of time O_O

Hmm tried the 'one toy per dog' rule before...Oscar seems to want them all. We give the toys individually and as soon as Maddie and Poppy drop them for two minutes Oscar takes them and sits on them like he is a hen!!! Think I need a selection and throw them all into the mix!

...a soft-boiled chicken bone in it with a piece sticking out of the toy. he eats the bone sticking out, plays with it for 5 mins and that is it.....

A cooked chicken bone in the kong concerns me. Huskies can have raw bones - cooked ones can splinter and cause damage.

Other toys I have found to be excellent in keeping my girl occupied include: dog puzzles, treat balls, and bones filled with peanut butter/pumpkin mix (her favorite!) She also has a nylabone that she really enjoys.

Hmm tried the 'one toy per dog' rule before...Oscar seems to want them all. We give the toys individually and as soon as Maddie and Poppy drop them for two minutes Oscar takes them and sits on them like he is a hen!!! Think I need a selection and throw them all into the mix!

LOL well toys were designed to endure one husky's mouth... Three might be a lil' too much LOL you can buy a new toy every week tho :P