Beware When Rehoming

raindog

This is reposted from another site and is a very scary warning to anyone seeking to rehome a dog independently (ie not through a recognised rescue organisation):

I recently sold my German Shepherd on here, supposedly to "good family home". Have since been contacted by SSPCA who informed me that the dog had been found dead. The people who bought the dog, used him as a bait dog for fighting.

I can't even begin to imagine the pain and suffering that was inflicted on him before he died. It's my fault. I should have been more responsible and rehomed him in a better manner than this. I only got to find out because his microchip hadn't been transferred over.

I'll have to live with that now...but please, be very careful of who you hand your dog over to.

When a rescue organisation rehomes a dog, the home it goes to has been inspected and, usually, a vet's reference has been obtained. Unfortunately, too many desperate people rehome their dog to the first person who offers - in cases like this with fatal and cruel results. Whether the dog is sold on, or given away "free to a good home" owners need to be extremely careful about vetting the new home. Over the past year we have had two Siberians come in to SHWA which have been used as "bait" dogs in this way. Both were rescued after police raids and handed over to SHWA. Luckily they both survived their injuries, and, being sibes, have been resilient enough to make an almost full recovery emotionally as well.

Please be careful if you are looking to rehome your dog - there are scumbags out there and they are looking to take your dog!!!

mya2.jpg

Maya was rescued from a dog fighting ring and has permanent scars on her back legs where she was strung upside down with wire over a pit so that the pitbulls could jump up and try to bite her.

ScreenShot295.jpg

Enya was destined for the same fate, but the police spotted her being dragged behind a speeding car "to see how fast she could run" - she couldn't have been more than 3 months old at the time and if the police had been seconds later, she could have been badly injured or killed.

These two were the lucky ones. Don't let this happen to your dog just because you are in a hurry to rehome it!!!!!

Mick

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

thats just wrong......

some people are so cruel and heartless!!!!!!

thanks for the warning

darwin was free to good home and i am still in contact with his previous owners and send updates and pix regularly

the rescue that i got echo from has never replied to m emails saying how well she had gotten on.....they dont seem to care and she came from a gsd rescue!!!!!!!

that is truly sick and absolutely disgusting.

R.I.P poor dog.

thank god those beautiful huskies were saved from their fate,but unfortunately i dont want to even think about the number that aren't so lucky :(

brings tears to my eyes when i read this sort of thing.

It's horrible how some people can put on such an act. A couple adpoted a pitt from a shelter I foster for. They said they sounded like a great couple, no red flags poping up. But a few months later, the pitt was dropped off again and it was clear she was used as a bait dog. It was so sad, but she recovered with just a few scars and a lady at the shelter adopted her. She's in a great home now.

But it is very scary when adopting out dogs. You really need to do your homework on the new owners.

Thanks for the warning Mick

So glad you were able to help the Maya and Enya but so sorry to hear of the dog that wasn't so lucky.

As a nation of animal lovers we should be able to stamp out cruelty of this kind once and for all but sadly it doesn't seem to be a priority for the powers that be

With my fosters I put ads up in a lot of places. I got probably around a hundred+ emails for each dog I had. Some people sounded really great. Like this one guy. Had Huskies all his life, was going to feed the new dog raw, had a wife and kids, sounded very active ect. ect. ect. But when I told him I needed to meet the whole family and be sure everyone was on board and wasn't afraid of the dog... He came up with 12398434958 excuses why that wasn't going to happen. I told him there's no way i'm adopting this dog to you without meeting your family. He sent me email upon email progressively getting nastier. Crazy guy. In the end that dog went to a great home who loves him to pieces and just recently they added a friend for him :)

It's really the truth, you need to stick to your guns and check these people out thoroughly. What sounds good on paper may just be a front. If you care about your dog, you'll check these people from the inside out.

wow thats awful!

i find it hard to imagine how anyone could even think about treating a dog like that :( i feel bad enough when they give me the hurt look after i've stood on their foot!

Thanks Mick, I'm happy for Enya and Maya's lucky turn of events that led to their lifetime home-very sad how these punks treat dogs who want nothing more than to please their owners, and for those people who take advantage of the animals trust to use that to hurt them and other dogs, well they're just human garbage! I'm glad they're tough on animal abuse nowadays-they are now going to pay for their crimes. Here's a link to a rescue that handles Husky's and other sled dogs :http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/northernlights.html

I wish owners would check out people they sell their dogs too, but unfortunatly probably 90% don't.Therdo e are hundreds of husky for sale on the net in the Uk alone. Maybe the RSPCA and all rescue groups should lobby to make sure all dogs sold on web sites are going to a safe home and if the sites do not do this, they should not be allowed to advertise dogs.

Maya was rescued from a dog fighting ring and has permanent scars on her back legs where she was strung upside down with wire over a pit so that the pitbulls could jump up and try to bite her.

Enya was destined for the same fate, but the police spotted her being dragged behind a speeding car "to see how fast she could run" - she couldn't have been more than 3 months old at the time and if the police had been seconds later, she could have been badly injured or killed.

These two were the lucky ones. Don't let this happen to your dog just because you are in a hurry to rehome it!!!!!

Mick

some people are beyond belief, inthis case i think an eye for an eye is perfectly justified. let them hang the person over a pit and accellerate a car and see if they can keep up.

makes my blood boil.

animal cruelty is just wrong