Greetings from Manitoba, Canada

Request

Hello,

My name is Dennis and as the title says I live in Manitoba, Canada. 27 years old and as long as I can remember Ive always wanted a siberian husky. This lead to lots of research about them, and their behavior (sometimes their lack of lol), etc. Well on Febuary 12th the dream finally came true... I got too bring home Kodi who is now 3 months old.

So far everything has gone good. He is even getting along with my wife's two cats... I know I know having sibes around cats is a no no in most cases but I believe with the proper supervision the two can coexist, ONLY with the proper supervision. Hey she wouldnt let go of the cats and I wouldnt let go of my dream of getting a husky. So I found a breeder that had the pups socializing with cats from the get go. I guess we will see what happens... *fingers crossed*

Anyways here are some pics... more info and pics to come, Im sure.

Kodi - 4 weeks (on our visit to pick him out)

kodi4weeks.png

Kodi - 6 Weeks

kodi6weeksa.png

Kodi - 6 weeks (on the right)

kodi6weeks.png

Kodi - 8 weeks (at home)

kodi1.jpg

Ok so that's a wrap for this time. Hope to see lots of replies and get to know lots of people.

For now remember...

Exercise - Discipline - Affection

Dennis & Kodi

Welcome Dennis, to Husky-Owners. Kodi looks so cute in those pics. Thanks for doing your research. So often, people get a Husky without doing any research, and they don't understand the breed. So good for you. Look forward to seeing you around the forum. If you do have any questions, don't be timid, and post them up. Also, join in on some of the other threads and participate.

Welcome Dennis and Kodi to the BEST Husky forum in the WORLD.

If you need any help with the forum or your new pup just shout. . .

We love to help biggrin.gif

My Brother has lived in Winnipeg for nearly 20 years.

been over twice to your fabulous country to visit. laugh.gif

Thanks for all the welcomes.

@Andy, does your brother have any huskies?

Oh and the one question that I had on my mind was how much can I exercise Kodi since he is only 3 months old. I read a thread already and someone said something about 15 mins a month? Seems odd lol. I would like to know how long of a walk we can go on, like I always say a tired husky is a happy and fufilled husky.

Looking forward too rollerblading with him when he is more full grown and can handle longer stretches of activity.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

@Andy, does your brother have any huskies?

Oh and the one question that I had on my mind was how much can I exercise Kodi since he is only 3 months old. I read a thread already and someone said something about 15 mins a month? Seems odd lol. I would like to know how long of a walk we can go on, like I always say a tired husky is a happy and fufilled husky.

Looking forward too rollerblading with him when he is more full grown and can handle longer stretches of activity.

No my brother doesn't have Huskies just some yappy little handbag dog. . . LMAO.

Exercise.

The standard is once he's had all his shots and is covered for going outside then

it is 5 mins per month of age so at the moment 15 mins walking, preferably on grass not hard surface.

He can have 3, 15 min sessions per day.

Don't forget he will also be running around at home and in your garden.

He'll be getting plenty of exercise.

You can also tire him out with mental stimulation training, tricks and obedience etc.

The reason for the limit is that his bones and joints are still forming,

and although he will want to go for miles and miles that amount of exercise will put too much stress on his still growing bones and joints.

The damage though won't become apparent until he's older and begins to have difficulty with his hips and joints

years before you would normally expect.

Ok, sounds good.

Right now I usually take him for a walk around the block which usually takes about ten minutes or so. There is nothing but snow and ice here right now so unfortunately grass is not an option, lol. But your right he plays fetch a bit at home and every now and then we will have a bit of a horseplaying match which will all tire him out. Also every monday night he goes too a puppy class so he gets socialization and play to tire him out there as well.

I just wanted to make sure I was doing enough for him.

Hie Dennis and Kodi-Welcome to the pack! This is the best Husky forum! I just joined recently and we got our first pup together my wife and I(I've had 2 altogether-so far)and everyone here has been so helpful, friendly and informative! A collective bunch with a common love for the same thing-Husky'ssmile.gif Little Czar is the same age as your little cute pup-don't they grow fast?! Kodi is so cute!

Ok, sounds good.

Right now I usually take him for a walk around the block which usually takes about ten minutes or so. There is nothing but snow and ice here right now so unfortunately grass is not an option, lol. But your right he plays fetch a bit at home and every now and then we will have a bit of a horseplaying match which will all tire him out. Also every monday night he goes too a puppy class so he gets socialization and play to tire him out there as well.

I just wanted to make sure I was doing enough for him.

Sounds like you're doing a great job.

Anything else we can help with.

Find the right section of the forum and post your questions there.

Then everybody can see the post and you'll have hundreds of people seeing your query

not just those looking here at your intro. biggrin.gif