Tricks

Phwhat

this is just general info, not to offend if you are already doing this or know this.. just my info:D

first off if focus is the main reason i would start traning when shes tired. when i first started i woke the poor girl up and started the sit command which she picked up in 2 days. i would only do the command 5 times and let her go back to sleep im not that mean lol. also..

if you find the right treat it goes very easy i have found. i use little bits of ham and she does anything i want. i dont know if ham is the best but she loves it. i would also say to train in the same spot for awhile so she knows what to expect "treat area"

if i have a treat in my hand i can recall her from anywhere and shes lying down at my feet waiting for a comand. keep training to 5 min periods and lots of praise after each right command even if she almost does the command praise and treat and do it again. i use a release command right as im treating to show her that she has done it right.

after awhile that command will stick and she wont move untill you say that magic word

hope this helps alittle

If you aren't getting any focus then IMO you are not exciting or high value enough!

Remember puppies only have a very short attention span, keep training sessions as short as possible - 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc. No training session should go for more than 5 minutes and always end on a high note when the puppy is still interested. Don't wait for the puppy's attention to start waning, or for her to be the one to end the training session.

Find what motivates your puppy the best. Is she food driven? Use high value treats like cooked chicken, sausage, ham, cheese etc and find what gets her excited the most. If she isn't food driven, is she toy driven? You can use a toy to reward her as well.

haha none taken. I try to wear her out but she has SO much energy... :confused: lol Anyhow..thanks!

Tired dogs can also lose interest more quickly. Each to their own, but I prefer to train when my dog is full of beans. Make training exciting and make yourself the most exciting thing in the world to the dog.

Good advise and info Canadianwolf and Bec, added to rep (soz Bec I have to spread some around before can give it to you agian)

I have learned that you have to keep yourself interesting. They are like children and become easily bored of the same thing. After getting some tips from bec (smeagle) I have started to rotate things around and keep things fun too. Every now and then we wont do any "training" and I take their fave toys and play with them also, which I have found helps keep them amused and interested.

To help you out, I am working on walking on a loose leash, their recall, their prey drive, and directional commands so one day I can work them in the harness. What I do is mix it up so I will do about 5-10 minutes of one (i.e. loose leash walking) and then 5-10 mintues of play, and then will go to something else Im working on (i.e. Thier prey drive), and then give them 5-10 minutes of play, and then maybe go for 5-10 minute run and while running go through their directional commands at the same time, etc etc

I have found doing this helps keep my boys interested in me and not the surroundings, which also helps more with their prey drive too :)

Interest is the key to training - without making yourself as exciting as possible for your pup, training will suffer.

Luckily for me ive never had this problem as Isis is always following me everywhere i go and always interested in what im doing. We are presently working on loose leash walking also and off leash training - where her attention needs to be solely on me!

I found some interesting readings on how to train your baby(s) I like the first one about alpha training... the second one has several important tips and more links that might be of use

http://www.husky-petlove.com/husky_alpha_training.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_2178583_train-siberian-husky.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Thanks Amy,

I am trying lots of new things with Naa-ney so I am always looking for stuff.. She does sit, stay for like 10 secs, lay down and I am working on her saying hello soo yeah I am trying to keep her occupied..