Zena - Where two Oceans meet

Rosemary

We took Zena to Agulhas today. It is the most southern point of Africa and is the place where the Atlantic and Indian Oceans meet.

gallery_1365_1334_64128.jpg

On the way there we stopped at a pup for something cold - an English pup !! I wouldn't know :lol:

gallery_1365_1334_98465.jpg

gallery_1365_1334_102799.jpg

Met some of the wonderfully inventive children of South Africa with their 'draad kar'. The children make their own toys our of wire - this boy made himself a truck with a trailer :)

gallery_1365_1334_90216.jpg

The little boy in this photo looks very serious, but I think it is just the novelty of the occasion he was very proud of his truck and was laughing and talking until the camera came out :lol: Serious stuff - photos :lol:

gallery_1365_1334_58449.jpg

This is the Agulhas lighthouse - it was built in 1848 because of all the ships that were wrecked on this piece of coastline

gallery_1365_1334_33229.jpg

This is a replica of a figurehead of a French ship which was wrecked here in 1877

gallery_1365_1334_7049.jpg

gallery_1365_1334_8371.jpg

And this is the reason we brought Zena to this point. Behind her is the exact point where the two oceans meet - The atlantic on the left and the Indian Ocean on the right

gallery_1365_1334_97081.jpg

While we were there we met a German guy (he didn't want his photo taken as he was 'not at his best' - his words) :lol: He has been touring the Western Cape on a bicycle - everything he owns is on his bike - I would say he is about 55-60 years old.

gallery_1365_1334_94542.jpg

Zena was getting tired, so she had a rest in the helmet while we had a cooldrink :)

gallery_1365_1334_66460.jpg

gallery_1365_1334_87414.jpg

Monty cannot leave the coast without first checking how the fisherman are doing :blink:

gallery_1365_1334_27102.jpg

gallery_1365_1334_68751.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

great pics,the next 'auntie' Zena visits will have hard time topping all this excitement.

she better not come here,she'd only have a daily jaunt round tescco's,lol :lol:

I was just thinking the same thing (gulp!) - I think my place is the next stop! blink.gif Wow! Becky and I are going to have to really work to come up with anything cool for Zena to do!

great pics,the next 'auntie' Zena visits will have hard time topping all this excitement.

she better not come here,she'd only have a daily jaunt round tescco's,lol :lol:

Tania - I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my chair :lol: :lol:

We don't have much history where I live - buildings or places of interest - but what we do have is scenery, so that is where we take Zena. I for one would love to see more of where everyone lives and how they live. I have never been out of South Africa so every picture you post is something I have never seen before :) Even your homes are furnished differently to how we do it here :)

yes Gigi you and Becky are next, Tania there's nothing wrong with Tesco's Zena as to learn how to shop lol, Rosemary yep i agree, i've not traveled much so any pic's of where people live, how they live, i'm looking forward to seing all pic's xxxxx

Don't rush Zena too much, then, Rosemary, and maybe the weather will improve around here so that there is something more interesting to see out here! It's pretty bare and brown, at the moment. Soon, though, farmers will be out in the fields, and if the timing is right, maybe, just maybe, we can get Zena a ride in a big ol' John Deer farm implement! We were kind of hoping to get some of the folks from the general area together to do something while she's here, too! smile.gif

Great Pics Rosemary, I think we all take our own slice of the world for granted.

We all think everywhere else is more exotic or exciting.

I live in the world famous University city of Oxford, where world leaders send their children to be educated.

To you visiting it's, The city of dreaming spires.

to me it's noisy, crowded full of students and tourist,s getting in my way when I need to be somewhere.

A place where city planners seem to have completely ignored the historic character of the city and filled it

with grey ugly blocks of concrete.

Great Pics Rosemary, I think we all take our own slice of the world for granted.

We all think everywhere else is more exotic or exciting.

I live in the world famous University city of Oxford, where world leaders send their children to be educated.

To you visiting it's, The city of dreaming spires.

to me it's noisy, crowded full of students and tourist,s getting in my way when I need to be somewhere.

A place where city planners seem to have completely ignored the historic character of the city and filled it

with grey ugly blocks of concrete.

Good point, Andy! Still, I find little picturesque in bare, brown farm fields! biggrin.gif

(Tourists are definitely few and far between, around here! wink.gif )

Rosemary, I'm jealous! Zena is such a lucky pup. Going to such beautiful locales, riding a Harley, and dining at fine eating establishment, all while taking in the fresh air and the sea breeze. Thanks so much for sharing the photos. As always, they are fantastic.

Great pics! What is the story behind this cute pup? :o

Is she travelling the world of husky owners? :P

Yes Jamie, Zena is traveling the world. She has her own passport, photo album and diary :) She is from the UK and South Africa is her first port of call. She will shortly be leaving here to visit Gigi and Becky in the USA.

Must admit though, we have had a few very strange looks - I am sure people are wondering if we are slightly off our rocker carrying a little husky toy and taking pics of it - at out age. They probably think we are senile :lol: