biting/nipping

Hey I just wanted a bit of advice really, Marley is 9 weeks old now and ive noticed over the past week he is getting over excited and biting/nipping at me and the kids. He doesnt do it to Tony as im guessing he already sees him as the alpha.

Anyway I have said a loud sharp no at him when he is jumping up at the kids but he doesnt really take any notice, I know he is only playing and its normal puppy behaviour but he is snapping jaws and the kids are crying and making Marley even more excited and he is doing it more.

Ive told them to yelp and turn away but it doesnt seem to be working and my youngest is too young to understand. With my youngest (aged 2) he jumps up and snaps his jaw and it very nearly connects with her face, he did the same yesterday with my little boy (aged 4) and my little boy tried to pulled his arm out the way, caught Marleys tooth and it pierced his skin.

HELP please :)

this tends to happen when the pup is taken away from mom and siblings too young, you guys got him at like 6 weeks right?

if he starts snapping and trying to bite i'd set him on the ground, give a stern no, and ignore him until he calms down. I personally wouldn't allow him to play with the kids until he stops the behavior, and continue with the loud "AH!" when he does it.

Mya was exactly the same - luckily she only had 2 adults and a 12 year old to play with so we could put up wit it whilst training her out of it. Unfortunately it's a typical puppy thing to do (damn those puppy teeth hurt!!), when they would have been playing with their mother she would given them the equivalent of a stern 'NO' when they got too rough. Consistency is the key - keep doing what you're doing, just monitor play-time with the kids and try what Kodah's Dad said with replacing your hand with a chew toy - Mya loved the Nylabones...chewable and tasty!!

The advice I was given for our little pup was to yelp or oww, however you choose, then fold your arms, ignore him/her for a short time, then resume play-repeat as necessary. They will catch on as they LOVE to play! Someone else said to place your fingers over their tongue(they hate anything on their tongue)with the opposing thumb under their jaw-not alot of pressure, but its uncomfortable. This is what advice I received, I'm no expert and came on here and posted a help just as you due to my pup biting hard to me and this was the advice- hope this helps

I'm not nearly the expert everyone else is but, I'd actually suggest something drastically different to what people have printed above and that is to start teaching the puppy bite inhibition now. I did this with our Nukka from the very day we met her at 7 weeks by letting her nibble on my finger a little bit and saying "ouch" when it was too hard so that she knew right way if she hurt me at all. Puppies and dogs generally learn best from play so it is really important to work with them and teach them games that help them learn. Obviously, you don't want your puppy playing like this with everyone but, if just the family participates you can encourage the game part of it and discourage hurting people as how hard the bite is or isn't can be learned and give the puppy praise for the good stuff just as much as saying no about the bad stuff.

Nukka and I still have it as a great game and she doesn't nip at anyone else who hasn't already played the game with her.

I'm not nearly the expert everyone else is but, I'd actually suggest something drastically different to what people have printed above and that is to start teaching the puppy bite inhibition now. I did this with our Nukka from the very day we met her at 7 weeks by letting her nibble on my finger a little bit and saying "ouch" when it was too hard so that she knew right way if she hurt me at all. Puppies and dogs generally learn best from play so it is really important to work with them and teach them games that help them learn. Obviously, you don't want your puppy playing like this with everyone but, if just the family participates you can encourage the game part of it and discourage hurting people as how hard the bite is or isn't can be learned and give the puppy praise for the good stuff just as much as saying no about the bad stuff.

Nukka and I still have it as a great game and she doesn't nip at anyone else who hasn't already played the game with her.

We have already been doing this with him, we yelp and turn away or stop playing but he is soooo excited he doesnt seem to notice and just carries on nipping and biting at us....

With a baby in the house I think it is more important to teach no biting before you move on to bite inhibition...

Any time he bites you I would gentley take hold of his lower jaw and say in a calm but firm voice "NO BITE". Holding his lower jaw means he wont be able to bite down and gets his attention for you to be able to tell him what you want from him. Then when he plays nice praise again calmly and gentle voice to try not to over excite him. If he really isnt getting it then put him in a timeout, out of the room for two minutes to emphasise that hes done something wrong!

Once he has that down and doesn't nip anymore THEN you can work on bite inhibition. Heres a helpful thread for when you get to that stage... http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/8337-bite-inhabition-the-most-important-thing-you-can-teach-your-dog/

I agree with Sarah - if he starts getting too rough and/or excited, I feel you'd do best to remove him from the situation to a "time out", since the kids are so young. Your 4 year old might be able to help in training, giving the sit command (with your help), then giving a small treat on the flat of his palm. The baby, however, is quite likely too young, unless you give the command and help enforce it, and allow her to reward with the treat on her hand, possibly. Good luck with this - he will grow out of it! smile.gif