Owners who do not look after their dogs..

Nevermore

I know - it's sickening- My Roxy was the same when we got her - had been beaten and starved- All good now tho

That lday (useing it loosly) that wants to breed will probly put out pup that end up in shelters too. sad

George, I just can't understand how anyone could let a dog get that skinny... Surely you'd realise. I mean Yuri is on the lean side but he's nowhere near that skinny and I'd never let him get like that! It made me tear up when I saw those pics :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand how ppl can do that to their dogs. If you can't take care of it then give it up! Fine you were stupid enough to get it and now cant deal with it, but starving and abusing your dog is the stupidest thing you can do! surrendering your dog won't cost you anything, and you won't have to deal with a dog you cant take care of. I wish the law changed so abusing a dog is equal to abusing a human being, that way we have less stupid ppl adopting huskies.

every time someone asks me about kirby I always say negative things about him, that way they stay away from the breed.

George, I just can't understand how anyone could let a dog get that skinny... Surely you'd realise. I mean Yuri is on the lean side but he's nowhere near that skinny and I'd never let him get like that! It made me tear up when I saw those pics :(

I know- breaks me up every time I see this - which is too often.

They just don't care - pure evil

when we got ozzy we knew nothing about huskies-nothing at all-our friend rescued him from a dogs home and he came to us less than 12hrs later. Our lives have been completely lost within ozzy's life! Nothing is anywhere near what it used to be like! And you know what-i love it. Two months research is more than i did-good on you. Xxx

20101202-hulya-husky-1-e1291322676731.jp

I'd have offered to take them both home but alas, no ring on finger.. They're still at the shelter.

At least you have animal cruelty laws. In this country keeping a pet indoors is still considered a sin by so many (they say that if a cat or dog lives in a house, angels won't enter it). I just wish we had the equivalent of the RSPCA to call, it breaks my heart to see the poor rotties and pitbulls on the streets each night as their teenage owners try to find someone to fight their dogs with, or the poor Golden Retriever downstairs that has had untreated eczama since I first saw him 2 years ago and who at 5 years old also has untreated cataracts that have left him blind..

What really takes the biscuit when it comes to abuse though is when I arranged with my local chicken supplier to have all their off-cuts sent to the shelter. They have at least 4-5 crates a day of left-over meaty chicken backs etc. which the shelter then COOKED and gave to the dogs. Cooked chicken bones to hungry dogs. Just brilliant..

when we got ozzy we knew nothing about huskies-nothing at all-our friend rescued him from a dogs home and he came to us less than 12hrs later. Our lives have been completely lost within ozzy's life! Nothing is anywhere near what it used to be like! And you know what-i love it. Two months research is more than i did-good on you. Xxx

Of course there are success stories from people who have jumped headlong into huskies without doing any research, but these are generally people who are flexible and committed enough to cope with huskies anyway. For me, at least half the point of encouraging people to research is to put them off. It may sound elitist (like I care) but I really believe that half the people who have huskies shouldn't have them and if we can put them off before they pick up their cute BYB puppy, it will save an awful lot of work for the rescue organisations down the road. It was recently estimated that of all those who buy puppies (all dogs, not just huskies - the figure for huskies is probably significantly higher), over 25% have got rid of them within a year!!!!!!!!

I agree that abuse of dogs and not looking after them properly is appalling, but cruelty cases are a pretty small minority of those we get into rescue. The vast majority of dogs coming in do so simply because their owners have realised that they should never have got them in the first place. The excuses they give may be varied, but the actual reason is the same - as a family they were totally unsuited to the breed. The more we can do to make people realise this before they get a dog, the better!!!!

Mick

I've always loved huskies so I already knew a lot of the basic things, but as far as hard core research goes I did 8 weeks - I found out I'd be getting Kiska literally as she was being born, and I picked her up at 8 weeks old. I spent ALL (literally all!) my free time looking up something husky related, so it was a majorly crammed 2 months! I've got to say though I don't think it would have mattered how much research I'd done, when I actually got her is when I really started learning. Sure, the researched had touched the surface but practical experience is what does it for me. I don't feel Kiska has suffered from my relative inexperience and I wouldn't change the way I did things, but I also would not recommend the same method for everyone. I know I love Kiska enough to see her as more than just a pet and will care for her for the rest of her life no matter what she throws at me, but I can't say the same for the majority of the general public.

this is so true, i see people when i am out and maybe 10% if that look after their dogs properly.

my 2 huskies are some of the best behaved dogs down the park, the worst are the small dogs who have no manners and whose owners get upset with my 2 when they defend themselves against the little yappy monsters. and i would like to say mine pin the other dog, not bite it.

and i point this out to the owners. the worst dog i ever saw was a terrier who came running up bit micha on the leg, ran back to its owner and jumped up into his arms. the owner didnt care, because his dog was only a small dog, and mine is a big dog and can cope with it.

when i got the park keeper involved and reported them to the dog warden they cared .

there is someone with a leonburger who has no control over it at all, and gets dragged all over the place.

there is someone with a staffy cross who runs up to anyone with a foot ball and punctures it.

i would love to open a dog school for owners, its is so simple, a little excercise and training and they are good dogs. the vast majority of badly behaved dogs are the fault of the owner

i will always try to put people off of Siberian huskies, and state that if you want well behaved ones you need plenty of time to walk them. they always say "yours are so well behaved" to which i reply 5 hours exercise a day

then if they still seem interested i tell them to go to a husky rescue society

i researched for about 5-10 years on and off, i read all i could in the weeks leading up to get Luna and i was still clueless.... Good job i've always been around dogs my whole life and trained pretty much all of them as my family didn't, and have always been obsessed with animals and done NVQ 3 animal management and Equine Management (not that it relates to dogs at all, but i've A LOT of experience with all animals, but most especially Reptiles, Rodents, Dogs and Horses)

Luna and Aura are so great, and we have had a few little problems but i've been able to handle it all. Thanks to this great forum and talking to other owners etc. Its been a pleasure every moment of my life with these beautiful girls. It gives me a reason to get up in the morning and to leave the house, as you all may know i never leave the house alone due to a Sscial learning disability and personality disorder, but these dogs have opened up my life to so much and so many new and lovely people. i feel like i wasn't living before i got them.