Keep them cool

jackie62

Just a quick reminder that the weather is getting warmer now and dont forget to make sure that your dogs are kept cool...ie.

Ice water ...i have started putting ice in there water now , you can use old marg tubs and fill with water , freeze and serve .

Please remember to change water reguley as it gets warm out side in the heat .

Make sure they have shade ...

Thank you ..

Just a quick reminder that the weather is getting warmer now and dont forget to make sure that your dogs are kept cool...ie.

Ice water ...i have started putting ice in there water now , you can use old marg tubs and fill with water , freeze and serve .

Please remember to change water reguley as it gets warm out side in the heat .

Make sure they have shade ...

Thank you ..

Be careful with the ice water. I have been told by our vet that ice water or ice in general among other things, can cause Bloat which can kill a dog very quickly.

Though it doesn't mention ice / ice water specifically her is a link http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm

i put some rock sulfur in sukas water and it seems to refresh him really well...he does stay in during the peak hours though and loves to go out in the evening and laze about in the garden :) He's malting like you wouldn't believe at the moment too so lots of grooming!

you can get it in most pet shops, you are supposed to break a bit off and drop it in the water bowl (in sukas case a larger piece in bucket lol) and it helps to cool the dog down, a lot of people use it, it claims to cool the dogs blood in hot weather, it has worked on suka and diesel our old labby they seem much more settled and pant less. The minerals in it disperse into the water :)

been giving huskies ice for years, never had a problem -except when they leave one on the kitchen floor for me to slip on LOL

Been there, done that! On both counts.

My understanding is it will not happen all the time but if it is really hot (92 here today), and they are over heated or just exercised it can happen. As I said earlier, the link I furnished (as well as several others) does not specifically mention ice but the vet did. I also read it elsewhere which is why I asked the vet. If I err, I'm going to err on the side of caution.