Siberian husky saves the day!!!

BladesBird

Siberian Husky saves life of a stroke victim

• July
    • 010 3:09 pm MT
b04bad0af34f99cdaf529a286f6c295d.jpgAbby and SagePhoto: Courtesy of Sara Shaheen

“It was October and I was taking Ciara for her daily walk, I usually walked 4 miles each way with her.†Ciara was Sara’s Siberian Husky and trusted companion, or as Sara likes to think of her, “my guardian angel.†“Something was different that day, while out walking I could not feel my (right) hand and I dropped the leash. Ciara, however, did not leave my side. I picked it up with my left hand and held on to her.†As Sara was standing on the sidewalk, attempting to regain some shred of normality in what felt like a very odd situation, a voice called to her. “My neighbor said ‘good morning’ to me and nothing (by me) came out.†Sara continued to stand there, immobile and without the ability to ask for help she was becoming increasingly more alarmed by the minute. “I knew I was in trouble.†Ever mindful of her owner’s current predicament, Ciara made a seemingly deliberate decision on behalf of her indecisive owner. “Ciara knew her way home.†Sensing that something was terribly wrong with Sara, her faithful four-legged friend immediately led her on a direct route home.

Once in the safety and familiarity of her own surroundings, Sara became afraid and overwhelmed. Uncertain of the specifics of her current health situation she became progressively disoriented and opted to rest. “I went to sleep, thinking it would go away. I am an RN, so when I woke up and (still) could not speak, I knew I had a stroke.â€Â

After waking from her short slumber, Sara lay there, scared and alone, with only her dog to comfort her. Barely able to move and still unable to speak, Sara’s loyal friend, Ciara, began howling, uncharacteristically.

Ciara’s unusual and distressful call was successful in that Sara’s neighbor heard it and decided to walk next door for further investigation. Shocked by the sight of Sara’s condition, she immediately called for paramedic assistance to aid her frightened friend. Moments later an ambulance arrived at the home shared by this understandably terrified woman and her heroic dog.

Sara was taken to a near by hospital where she would remain for 5 weeks. She underwent speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy in the hopes that she would be able to resume any form of her life as she once knew it. “When I came home, I was able to speak a little and my right arm was weak but not flaccid.†She has since overcome many daily obstacles and has recently begun dialysis due to renal failure. Sara presses on with a warm heart and a loving nature, taking one day at a time and treating each day as a gift.

Ciara passed away on June 1, 2009 while held in her owner’s loving arms; she was 10 years old. Heartbroken, Sara will never forget what her lifesaving friend did for her. “I thank God for her, she is my guardian angel and I miss her so much...every day.â€Â

Although Ciara will never be replaced in Sara’s eyes, she now has two new additions to her family, red and white Siberian Huskies named Abby and Sage… with very big paws to fill!