Orijen vs Taste of The Wild

BAGRI

Hey guys, Im getting my siberian pup in 7 weeks and was just wondering what you guys would recommend in terms of puppy dry food. I want to change his diet to a high quality food. I ve heard good things about both TOTW and Orijen. I want to get your guys' opinion on which one of these you would recommend. If there are other brands you recommend please tell!! I know TOTW is for all life stages, is there one particular TOTW formula you would recommend? Thanks alot!

ORIJEN PUPPY:

GUARANTEED ANALYSISCrude protein (min.)40.0 %Crude fat (min.)20.0 %Crude fiber (max) 3.0 %Moisture (max)10.0 %Calcium (min./max.)1.5 % / 1.7 %Phosphorus (min./max.) 1.2 % / 1.4 %Omega-6 (min.)3.0 %Omega-3 (min.)1.2 % DHA (min.)0.6 % EPA (min.)0.3 % AA (min.)0.1 %Carbohydrate (max)20%Ash (max)7.5%Taurine (min.)0.35 %Glucosamine (min.)1500 mg/kgChondroitin (min.) 1200 mg/kgMicroorganisms (min.) 120M cfu/kgpH5.2

TOTW High Prairie Canine:

Crude Protein32.0%MinimumCrude Fat18.0MinimumCrude Fiber3.0%MaximumMoisture10.0%MaximumZinc150 mg/kgMinimumSelenium0.4 mg/kgMinimumVitamin E150 IU/kgMinimumOmega-6 Fatty Acids *2.8%MinimumOmega-3 Fatty Acids *0.3%Minimum

TOTW Pacific Stream:

Crude Protein25.0%MinimumCrude Fat15.0%MinimumCrude Fiber3.0%MaximumMoisture10.0%MaximumZinc150 mg/kgMinimumSelenium0.4 mg/kgMinimumVitamin E150 IU/kgMinimumOmega-6 Fatty Acids *2.4%MinimumOmega-3 Fatty Acids *0.3%Minimum

TOTW Sierra Mountain:

Crude Protein25.0%MinimumCrude Fat15.0%MinimumCrude Fiber4.0%MaximumMoisture10.0%MaximumZinc150 mg/kgMinimumSelenium0.4 mg/kgMinimumVitamin E150 IU/kgMinimumTaurine *.05%MinimumOmega-6 Fatty Acids *2.4%MinimumOmega-3 Fatty Acids *0.3%Minimum

TOTW Wetlands Canine:

Crude Protein32.0%MinimumCrude Fat18.0%MinimumCrude Fiber4.0%MaximumMoisture10.0%MaximumZinc150 mg/kgMinimumSelenium0.4 mg/kgMinimumVitamin E150 IU/kgMinimumOmega-6 Fatty Acids *2.4%MinimumOmega-3 Fatty Acids *0.4%Minimum

I use Taste of the Wild, our dogs prefer the Venison and Bison flavored one in the yellow/orange bag...they can't STAND the waterfowl flavor, and only seem to tolerate the purple bag with the lamb, or the salmon/fish flavored. Make sure you find out what food his or her breeder was feeding him or her before hand so that you can do the transition to a higher quality food gradually if needed.

Hi there, I have never used TOTW but have used Orijen and our dogs did really well on it.

We are picking up a new puppy this weekend and the breeder actually suggested Kirkland brand sold through Costco, I have never tried it but have been doing some research and so far it looks to be a good quality food and is cheaper but again I haven't tried this so I can't say much about other then it was recommended to us. She's been on this food with the breeder so we are going to keep using it for the time being until we decide if we'll keep her on it or switch her over to raw food, which is what our other dog is currently eating.

One other food we have had our dogs on in the past that they did well on is Solid Gold (adult formula wolf king) my only complaint with it was that the feed breaks up easily so near the end of the bag there was always a couple of cups of dog food powder at the bottom.

Those are two of the best brands you can get! Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. My pup is on Orijen only because I wanted her on a puppy formula, but TOTW would be my other choice.

Really it comes down to price, availability, and which one your pup likes! Maybe you can get some sample baggies and see his preference?

Those are two of the best brands you can get! Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. My pup is on Orijen only because I wanted her on a puppy formula, but TOTW would be my other choice.

Really it comes down to price, availability, and which one your pup likes! Maybe you can get some sample baggies and see his preference?

Agreed.

We had ours on Orijen, but have switched to TOTW.

Supplier problems and price were the considerations, never quality.

Marty

Hi there, my pup has been on Orijen large breed puppy and he has thrived on it, I think it is a great food.

Recently I was advised that it was very high in protein and this prompted me to switch him on TOTW...well that was a mistake, I tried for 2 weeks but he will not touch it!

So I'm back to Orijen which he loves.

By the way when you get your new pup switch his food gradually over a week/10 days, gradually mixing in more of the new kibble otherwise he may get an upset stomach.

Hi! We're in the UK and feed our sibes TOTW - they prefer the bison ones to the fish ones. I can't say we have tried Orijen so I'm afraid I can't comment on that brand. But TOTW has been great for our two sibes. No runny mess!!! ;) Has made their coats lovely and soft.

We tend to add some chicken to it or vegetables with some rice.

• 1 month later...

Hi! We're in the UK and feed our sibes TOTW - they prefer the bison ones to the fish ones. I can't say we have tried Orijen so I'm afraid I can't comment on that brand. But TOTW has been great for our two sibes. No runny mess!!! ;) Has made their coats lovely and soft.

We tend to add some chicken to it or vegetables with some rice.

Hi kerry,

I have been feeding wolfie on totw the bison and the wetlands one, he seems to be doing fine, i did some digging and dont quote me on this but i read somewhere online that totw may contain a fish toxin that is very bad and has caused problems, i also looked on the dog food analysis website and there is a note on the bottom saying about a fish meal product which i think is called ethoxyquin and for some reason they say they cannot find anywhere on there website guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free products, this seems to be on the bison and the wetlands. I wandered if anyone else had come across this as it has got me a little worried

They are both good brands. I like Orijen/Acana better mainly because they seem to have a very ethical company. They get most of their ingredients local and use cruelty free meats. Plus I think it's a big high quality.

Honestly, why choose?! lol. I switch my pups food around a lot (though I wouldn't start doing that until your pup is a few months older). I'll get a big bag of Orijen and when that's used up I'll get a big bag of Acana and after that TOTW. I have found a food that doesn't agree with Elara (a different brand), but other than that, I haven't had any problems switching up their food. Plus, not every food has everything a dog needs (though very close). So adding variety will help insure those missing links are filled. I also will feed raw or a dehydrated food (the Honest Kitchen) some days.

Sophie is on Orijen, I drive 45 mins one way to buy the food, when there are plenty of stores in my town that sell TOTW. I have nothing against TOTW, I just read better reviews on Orijen when I was doing my research and my vet said it was a great choice for a husky who is getting a lot of exercise. Sophie seems to like it and she's always stayed a consistent healthy weight, with no extra baggage. Her poo is also nice and dark and firm. Woohoo Orijen! biggrin.gif But both foods are excellent!

ours now has a bag on totw next time we will buy orijen after this acana this is usuall although can be a pain as stores on the high street here in uk dont seem to stock any of these 3 brands so we source online .When he was a pup we gave him orijen large puppy and started him with acana at about 7 months.But to be honest we only use now as a suppliment as mainly he is on a raw diet .Chicken wings are a favorite of his raw mince is another (sometimes we add some kibble to his mince and top it with pro biotic yoghurt) he has alot of tinned sardines mackeral in oil.fruit and veg is a daily (carrots blueberrys are his fav)When we brought him home from the breeders his poo was very runny the breeder was feeding him bakers WE threw the bakers the breeder gave us in the bin and switched him on to orijen his poo cleared up almost instantly and has been very good ever since.Like most of the above say all 3 are great foods and if your husky dosnt mind you could vary and use all 3 or if he dosnt take to one ,stick to what he likes.

Hi kerry,

I have been feeding wolfie on totw the bison and the wetlands one, he seems to be doing fine, i did some digging and dont quote me on this but i read somewhere online that totw may contain a fish toxin that is very bad and has caused problems, i also looked on the dog food analysis website and there is a note on the bottom saying about a fish meal product which i think is called ethoxyquin and for some reason they say they cannot find anywhere on there website guaranteeing the use of ethoxyquin-free products, this seems to be on the bison and the wetlands. I wandered if anyone else had come across this as it has got me a little worried

In May of 2010, TOTW discontinued the use of ethoxyquin in its Pacific Stream formula. It was not present in the other formulas. Their Web site does not state their food is ethoxyquin-free, but it's also not listed in the ingredients. I think perhaps they may be keeping their options open, but for now, TOTW ethoxyquin-free, the last I knew.

• 2 weeks later...

In May of 2010, TOTW discontinued the use of ethoxyquin in its Pacific Stream formula. It was not present in the other formulas. Their Web site does not state their food is ethoxyquin-free, but it's also not listed in the ingredients. I think perhaps they may be keeping their options open, but for now, TOTW ethoxyquin-free, the last I knew.

Yup, I was just about to buy some TOTW the other day for Aries and called them up myself to confirm. The issue was never that they used it, but that their fish meal supplier did. The lady on the phone took care to tell me that they have switched to a new supplier as of May last year, and (i'm guessing to re-assert themselves) that the ethoxyquin content used to be at 5PPM, which is supposedly well under the 75PPM safe limit set by the FDA. As it stands, Diamond has changed their supplier and they claim ALL their products are now completely free of ethoxyquin.

As an FYI, I did a little digging around on google and it seems Hills Science Plan, Innova EVO, Iams and Eukanaba all contain this stuff apparently, there may be others. Also, if it's made in the US, unless the supplier has a special permit to use non-ethoxyquin preservatives, chances are the food would contain it as it is a legally required preservative in fish meal (you can thank Homeland Security).

For those that aren't sure what to make of this chemical, its primary use is as a pesticide. Second biggest use is as a hardener in the manufacturing of rubber.

Orijen and TOTW are both very good foods, you can't go wrong with either one. Just find out what your Husky prefers. Switching foods occasionally doesn't hurt either, that way if there is a vitamin that may be missing or insufficient in one brand, then the next brand can even that out a bit...

Our vet uses Orijen for his own dog, but then turns around and tells people to buy Purina One but he carries Hills Science Diet in the clinic. I still haven't figured that one out. blink.gif

Orijen and TOTW are both very good foods, you can't go wrong with either one. Just find out what your Husky prefers. Switching foods occasionally doesn't hurt either, that way if there is a vitamin that may be missing or insufficient in one brand, then the next brand can even that out a bit...

Our vet uses Orijen for his own dog, but then turns around and tells people to buy Purina One but he carries Hills Science Diet in the clinic. I still haven't figured that one out. blink.gif

The fact that Hills offers vets a 45% cut if they stock it might have something to do with it...blink.gif all the ones in my area stock it, didn't understand why until i found that out.

• 2 weeks later...

I, personally, weighed the pros and the cons between Orijen and TOTW, truthfully I found Orijen to be a much better food with better, fresher ingredients. I was also hung up between the 2 when it came time to switch Shadow's food, but he just LOVES the Orijen and goes nuts for it!