Is Riley doing weird things with his ears??

Astaerelle

I don't have any pictures at the moment as the camera is playing up.. Grr. However I did find a couple that resemble what he does. Hope its clear enough.

Riley does this thing with his ears. Every time he looks at me, or starts going towards me, or just generally is paying attention to me, he puts his ears back against his head... Does any of yours do this?? His ears are completely erect and everything, and they stand up straight at all other times.. Its like he's trying to be all "cute". He's definitely not scared or anything.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TrLTX9nmdkk/THPjKcGPWSI/AAAAAAAADk8/zrQkzm2IszU/s1600/DSC05847.JPG

4221325884_b1c84554fc.jpg

Is it something like this (the one on the left)? I know wolves do it when they are being submissive. Although this one MIGHT be a wolfdog, I know at least one of them was :blink:

I don't really recall Glala or Dana doing this. But browsing through my own photos of wolves, I have quite a lot of wolves doing this. This and this for example.

I think it''s a way for them to show affection. Storm does it all the time. they can't tell us they're happy so they show it in their body language, ears, tail, eyes etc.

Found this on line, an answer to a question asking why the dog outs it's ears down.

I have not seen your dog around you, but going by what you say without observing I can tell you that it is not necessarily a bad thing. A dog who is submissive of another being will slink themselves smaller and put their ears back. A lot of people misread dogs when they see them puffed out, proud with their ears erect thinking it means the dog is happy, when in reality it is the way a dog who believes he is alpha reacts. If your puppy puts his ears back and lowers his head that is a sign of respect. The fact that his tail is wagging and not tucked up under leads me to believe this is the case. Your pup respects you and it is a good thing. Keep being the pack leader that you are. Lowering the head, ears back and curling into a circle are signs of submission. A dog wants to know who is boss so they can be secure. The pup is acting towards you the way he would act towards his canine mother. Make sure you stick with showing him the rules so he can keep looking at you as his leader. It makes for a happy dog.

And this

Dog communication refers to body movements and sounds dogs use to send signals to other dogs, and other animals (usually humans). Dog communication comes in a variety of forms, and is part of the foundation of dog social behavior. Dogs use certain movements of their bodies and body parts and different vocalizations to express their emotions. There are a number of basic ways a dog can communicate its feelings. These are movements of the ears, eyes, eyebrows, mouth, head, tail, and entire body, as well as barks, growls, whines and whimpers, and howls.

This is quite interesting snippet

Wolf-like dogs (such as the Samoyed or Husky) will, when content and happy, often hold their ears in a horizontal position but still forward. This has been referred to as the "wolf smile".

this website seems interesting has some interesting reads on husky moods. :DHusky Training

Hope this helps.