off to emergency vets

Val (Zebedee)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about myshka val :( Hugs and kisses from me and my boys!

Glad it not spinal. If you can't come to this camp, at least you know Myshka will be ok and get the rest she needs. She's well cared for (Gizmo want to come up and look after her, have re-assured him that you, steve and D will make sure is well).

If not soon will see you whne you come down here in June (if you still coming) xx

poor Mysh :( thank goodness it isnt her spine!!

hope the orthapedic vet can figure out exactly what the problem is today...and if it is ligament damage she will get better but it is a long process unfortunately -i snapped the ligaments in my right foot 5 yrs ago- took almost 1yr til i was able to walk on it properly :(

good luck today huni...will be thinking of you all...give Mysh some cuddles off me and chloe and some extra sloppy kisses of shiiiiiiiiiiloh :)

thank you everyone ... I love this place for the support :wub:

I am a bit peeved today, the vet never called so I rang early afternoon to be told the x-ray machine was not working properly & they bloke was fixing it now, and the ortho vet, Duncan, would call me as soon as.

18:10 tonight, still no call, so I rang the vets to hear a voice message "the surgery is now closed, please call tomorrow" - like Hell I will!! So I rang the emergency number! The young lad on reception answered, I explained & he apologised saying he will go & speak with Duncan & either he or a nurse will call back. 40 mins later, Duncan rang, they still have no x-ray machine, so she will stay in again and if the machine is not fixed tomorrow morning, Mysh will be shipped to another surgery for the x-ray or scan. :angry: so, over 48 hrs after this all started, she has been dosed with morphine, had a little walk for investigation purposes & that's it, still no nearer what is wrong!

The only half positive thing he did say was, she was responding to the pain meds & turning round in her crate, if it was spinal, she wouldn't want to move, but the meds must be taking the edge off the pain & she feels a little like moving. But we're going to have to wait again to find out for sure. I'm not holding my breath yet.

Duncan said he is in meetings all day tomorrow, but has given me his personal mobile number & if we've heard nothing by 5pm (ANOTHER 22 HRS!!) to call him for an update :mellow:

Are humans treated like this or am I just blinkered cos it's my girl in there?? Even Diesel broke my heart when I came home from work, I usually get greeted with a loud, rumbling "woowoooooooooo!" - tonight, nothing! He looked straight passed me for his sister!! :(

So until tomorrow, that is all we know ....

Oh Val....Soooo sorry...things don't seem to go right. I would be sooooo mad! You must be worried to death especially knowing she is sitting there at the vets and not home. :( I see that a lot that even Vet's treat animals like it is no rush to find out whats wrong. I thought it was just me that felt that way. I really hope they call you soon tomorrow with some news so at least you know whats going on and maybe can bring her home and treat her there. LOTS OF HUGS HUNI!!!!!

I'd get her to another vet, if I were you. The one you're dealing with now doesn't look very good.

Not necessarily. There are days at a veterinary hospital when every animal that comes in, is an emergency, and everything goes wrong - and it will occur on the same day! The treatment they're giving her - keeping her quiet and caged, plus the use of pain killers - is right, and he did give her his mobile number. Sometimes it's easier on the dog (especially when they have drugs in their system) to be crate-rested away from home. It's a change in routine, and there aren't so many things to make them want to get up and about when they shouldn't. Hard on their people and other pack, though! smile.gif

I know, Gigi, I understand totally what you're saying, what is getting to me is they know what they want to do (x-ray or scan) but they know the machine is broken. what if an emergency came in & needed it? Mysh is not classed as emerbency, I totally know that, but it is prolonging the diagnosis & therefore the remedy. If the remedy was to have total crate rest & staying there meant it was for the better, I'd whole-heartedly agree with that, I'm just annoyed that they have not got an alternative in place if this is the only machine, or at least transported her to another surgery for the scan / x-ray & started on the diagnosis / cure, that's all :)

I know, Gigi, I understand totally what you're saying, what is getting to me is they know what they want to do (x-ray or scan) but they know the machine is broken. what if an emergency came in & needed it? Mysh is not classed as emerbency, I totally know that, but it is prolonging the diagnosis & therefore the remedy. If the remedy was to have total crate rest & staying there meant it was for the better, I'd whole-heartedly agree with that, I'm just annoyed that they have not got an alternative in place if this is the only machine, or at least transported her to another surgery for the scan / x-ray & started on the diagnosis / cure, that's all :)

Seems I recall hearing once that it can be beneficial to allow the swelling to go down a little bit (through rest and drugs) before proceeding, anyway. Sorry, wish my memory were better! I understand you impatience, regardless!

Having worked at veterinary hospitals, I know that they sometimes do use other facilities when necessary, but usually have to work around two facilities schedules to get patients in. Usually while scrambling to get things back up and working "back home"!

If you feel she isn't getting the care she should be, by all means, find another facility and vet! If this is a vet and facility you've been happy with, though, talk with them more, rather than throwing the proverbial baby out with the bathwater.

HUGS!