Why you shouldn't shave your Husky

Arooroomom

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My aunt is a vet and she has looked at it and confirmed its "hot spots". Shtya, my husky had one in her groin area a couple weeks ago. I shaved it, and cleaned the area really good with diluted iodine and gave her benadryl and put a cone on her so she couldn't keep licking it and she hasn't had a problem with it since. But now this one has appeared. And I thought the first one might have been cuz she was in our pond a few days before the 1st problem and she doesn't dry very fast. So I thought it was a yeast infection. But she hasn't been around any water and I groom her daily with brushing. And these spots just pop up. I notice her scratching them and I look and its the same as the last one.....just in a different area.

But there may be an infection that she needs medication for, i'd really suggest a skin scraping. I battle what we thought were "hot spots" forever with my male. In the end, it wasn't hot spots but demodex mange. The groomer will be able to get down deep to the skin, remove all loose undercoat, and perhaps bathe her in a medicated shampoo from a vet?

Thank you for the information. Did the skin scraping. Not mange. Slight yeast infection. It is believe to be from her being in the pond and not drying out afterwards. So was recommended for a good brushing, bath, and blow drying til dry. And washing the effected area with diluted iodine and keeping it dry and give her benadryl to keep the itching down. Thank you all for your help! It's greatly appreciated!

• 6 months later...

We own a bakery in Vermont and we had a regular customer come in with his dog who was named "T-Bone" and he was shaved from the neck down. He would park his car under one of our pine trees and had his hatch back opened, we would go out to see T-Bone and bring him water and turkey. We noticed most of the time he was very uncomfortable and we always thought it was due to him being shaved. Not just that, he was such a handsome Siberian but it made him look ridiculous. We always thought when "Sasha", "Dakota", and "Kayak" would see him they would think who made you look so ridiculous. Sharing your story and what you said makes total sense to us. Thank you!:lovebone:

• 2 months later...

Haha, you can also find out the hard way that your dog has a medical condition that doesn't allow her coat to grow back... I thought I was doing my obese husky cross a favour years ago by clipping her in the summer - turns out she had Cushing's disease and a full year and a half later her coat had still not grown back! Will never do that again!

• 1 month later...

My aunt is a vet and she has looked at it and confirmed its "hot spots". Shtya, my husky had one in her groin area a couple weeks ago. I shaved it, and cleaned the area really good with diluted iodine and gave her benadryl and put a cone on her so she couldn't keep licking it and she hasn't had a problem with it since. But now this one has appeared. And I thought the first one might have been cuz she was in our pond a few days before the 1st problem and she doesn't dry very fast. So I thought it was a yeast infection. But she hasn't been around any water and I groom her daily with brushing. And these spots just pop up. I notice her scratching them and I look and its the same as the last one.....just in a different area.

My daughter has a lhasa that gets something similar quite frequently. They look like hot spots, but our vet has determined they are more stress related. She's been given a shot and hasn't had one since. Can't think of the name at the moment. I know it starts with a 'd' but can't remember for sure. Basically, the shot alters the animals habit of scratching until the spot appears......I can look it up and will post tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...