Neutering your Sibe

Liliput

so reading past posts on neutering and in general health questions, we've decided to neuter Gambit. The vet has it scheduled for April 12th, he will stay overnight and we get him the following morning. For those that have gone through this, what should i expect? A little nervous but we are comfortable with our choice and feel it is the right one for us and him. We'd like to have our Gambit for a long time. Any thoughts or suggestions? someone will be with him at all times especially those first 3 days.&;thanks guys!

First of all: Congrats for deciding to neuter! It helps cut down on unwanted pregnancies, and can prolong their life by years! (or so I'm told.)

I'm not sure what to expect, because Suka was already neutered at the shelter, but I'm sure other helpful members will be able to shed some fur...err I mean light...on the subject. ;)

cone if they try to lick sitches - tho we got the cone from pets at home as vet cones are rubbish - blaze went in around 8ish - we picked him up at 3ish - he was abit grumpy with bings n skyla so we seperated them - he was fine eating and drinking - tho not all will want to do this straight away - he also knew his boundries n didnt go upstairs or jump for the first few days

i had 2 give him a short walk that night as he wouldnt pee out in the back garden but would on walks - he didnt wear cone out on walks either

they might give u pain killers to give him or they will inject him with pain killers - ur vet will give u a list of things to look out for ect

How old is Gambit? The surgery is harder on an older male than an younger one, as the scrotum thickens and develops creases with age, and is more likely to fill up with blood and serum post-op in the older guys. Sometimes the scrotum is removed - "scrotal ablation" - to help with this...

http://www.jacobswellvetsurgery.com.au/Services/Neutering/tabid/19935/Default.aspx

http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/CastrationinDogsCats/

Im sure that no one here sees it as a bad decision to neurer gambit, as many of us have spayed

and neutered our huskies. Now that all 4 of mine are done, I feel like they are happier and more

calm. The older 3 are very relaxed and angel is doing very well now,

Im very happy with the decision to get mine fixed.

With the males just be sure they dont chew on themselves and that they get their pain meds when needed.

Chewy was pretty much back to normal within 4 days, and being his happy go lucky self.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Gambit will be 10 months old by the time of his surgery. i have a consultation with the Doctor that morning so i'd like to get an idea of what others have gone through and have a list of questions ready for him. Also thanks for the links as they are helpful. I also notice about the stairs. Gambit sleeps upstairs in my brother's room so, should we bring his bedding down to the first floor?

thanks for reading!

Yuri sleeps in our room upstairs, I just was told to keep stair movement minimal. I was told only to take him upstairs to bed and keep him down in the day. He had a cone but he got his head over it and in the end they got rid of it. He had surgical stitches and ended up having 12 days of anitbiotics and 10 days of metacam. At the time I hated myself for getting him done but I don't regret it now. He has calmed down noticably, he's happier and calmer. Good luck!

Over the past four years our organisation has had approximately 380 dogs/bitches neutered. The number of these experiencing post-operative problems - 0

On Friday we had an 18yr old neutered (he had developed testicular cancer) - it hardly slowed him down at all (he acts like he is 18 months not 18 years).

As your dog is staying at the vets overnight after the op, he should be more or less back to normal once you bring him home. Just keep the exercise from getting too strenuous for a week or so and he will be fine.

Over the past four years our organisation has had approximately 380 dogs/bitches neutered. The number of these experiencing post-operative problems - 0

On Friday we had an 18yr old neutered (he had developed testicular cancer) - it hardly slowed him down at all (he acts like he is 18 months not 18 years).

As your dog is staying at the vets overnight after the op, he should be more or less back to normal once you bring him home. Just keep the exercise from getting too strenuous for a week or so and he will be fine.

The vet told me it was rare that a dog gets complications but infections happen occationally. Yuri is just a very sneeky boy sneeking his head over that cone!