Fishing

Elyse

So - I love to fish! I love the thrill of the fight when I reel 'em in. The biggest fish I caught was a 5 pound small mouth bass up in Lake Restoule, Ontario, Canada. It was delicious! :D

This is a thread to talk about fishing, share stories, and to maybe share recipes with other anglers.

I only recently switched from a catch & release license to a license where you can keep the fish. Last summer was my first time killing a fish (threw it in ice/ice water) and cooking it up on the BBQ. It was small mouth bass (around 3 pounds) and I just poured lemon juice over it while it was on the BBQ. It was the best tasting fish I have ever had in my life!

While eating it, Suka suddenly looked into the forest. (We were renting a cottage way up north in Ontario.) I heard twigs cracking and started to freak out - I figured the smell of the fish probably attracted a black bear! I knew it wasn't a little animal, as Suka has NEVER looked that tense before and he kept on looking back into the forest and looking back at us. After I was done with the fish I fled inside - the bear never showed up but I saw some tracks in the morning.

Me and Jamie enjoy going fishing. Sometime we will go course fishing and other times we will go sea fishing.

I aint caught anything big (think 3lbs carp is my biggest) but jamie has had a few double figure carp (not sure how big exactly though). I mainly go just to have a peaceful day out, happy catching little fish, keeps me entertained :D

Will see if I dig out fishing photos.

I remember one time we went with my dad (another fishing fan) and Jamie went to the loo and his line shot off suddenly. I was re-hooking my line so ran over to Jamies and nearly tripped over my own rod :rolleyes: to grap his before it took the rod! OMG you could tell it was big fish on the end! My arm where killing and after about 10 mins of trying to keep hold of the rod, I pulled out about 13lb common carp! So wasnt huge in carp weight terms but god he was STRONG!

Was chuffed with myself after think got a photo of him somewhere.

Not been for a while, but remember beach fishing at Dungeness on the South coast of England at night, it was November, cold wet and windy but forgot about that when pulling in a 30lb cod, just one of eight we caught that night, we were eating fish for a week :D

I LOVE fishing! I haven't been in a little under a year or so. I used to go with my dad all the time but due to recent health issues he can't fish anymore. :(

I'm going to have to gather some friends and hit the lake this summer though! My pole and tackle box are gathering dust in the corner.....

I'll have to dig up (or shall I say fish up?? ;) ) some fishing pics that I have.

Now that we are on the fishing subject, I was wondering...

I would like to make Jewell into a boat dog and be able to take her with me whenever I take the boat out. Are there any tips on how I should get her used to the boat and such, or do you guys think she may be a bit too much of a handful on the boat.

She is probably still a bit young to take out yet(and do any fishing) so probably not this year, although I may just take her out once later this summer when I have nothing better to do.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Now that we are on the fishing subject, I was wondering...

I would like to make Jewell into a boat dog and be able to take her with me whenever I take the boat out. Are there any tips on how I should get her used to the boat and such, or do you guys think she may be a bit too much of a handful on the boat.

She is probably still a bit young to take out yet(and do any fishing) so probably not this year, although I may just take her out once later this summer when I have nothing better to do.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sorry for the late response, but you might want to try to condition her to the boat first. That's what I did with Suka when we rented a boat up north.

Has she seen/been by boats before? If not, take her there. Let her smell one and let her know that the boats won't hurt her. (Suka was a bit timid when they bounced against the dock 'balls' or the dock itself.)

Next, go into the boat. Encourage your dog to follow you by either an excited voice, or even treats. Once she's in the boat, reward her with either praise or a treat (whatever she sees as high value.)

Stay in the boat for about 5 or so minutes. Reward her for staying calm.

Then leave the boat and encourage her to come along. Reward her again.

Repeat this process until she doesn't mind the boat and seems comfortable.

Next, start up the engine. If she is calm, praise her. (Repeat this a few times with leaving the engine running for a few minutes.)

Next: Start to move the boat with the engine. Slowly at first. When/if she is calm, praise her. Take short trips. Then as she gets comfortable you can go out longer and you can go faster. You'll find she'll enjoy the wind as it rushes past!

I hope that advice is enough - it's what worked for Suka and he avoids water like it's lava.

I feel small in comparison to you guys, LOL!

I saw a program on Sturgeons, they are protected and apparently its a criminal offense if you don't release it? They're a fish from the prehistoric times but I have yet to catch one. Someday...

yes they are definately catch and release... that one there is a "baby" about 20 years old, they grow to be over a hundred, and over 10 ft long... we had one bite the hook and its head came out the water... just his head was bigger than that fish... sadly we lost that one..

My husband loves nothing more to spend a day fishing with his friends. He caught this one a few months ago. Usually they all catch and release, but this one was unfortunately injured on the rocks, so he brought it home. The huskies ate on this one for a month.

montyandfish112cm.jpg

They usually only get frozen pilchards and sardines, but this one was a monster and the bones looked lethal so I had the job of de-boning it. Rather safe than sorry in this case. He brought another one home after that for the huskies, but I steamed that one slightly and removed the bones - and froze it in portions, much easier.

Last year was the first time I killed a fish to eat (I always caught and released after no matter how big it was) but the cottage we rented was far from civilization and we were sorta short on food.

There wasn't enough for Suka - but he got a little perch my Dad caught. :D

And, do your countries require licensing or have restrictions on the amount of fish you can bring home? Canada does, and although it can be unfair at times, I see why they do it to protect the ecosystem and our lakes.

Yes, in SA we have very strict laws, and inspectors patrol all fishing spots. The fines are huge, and your vehicle and equipment can be confiscated if caught with more than your daily quota, an 'out-of-season' catch, or if you are fishing without a permit.

My husband belongs to an angling club, so they are very, very aware of catching and releasing - when competition fishing you get double points for a released fish. Only in special/unfortunate circumstances are fish ever brought home. They brag with photos :rolleyes: which is good enough for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Fishing is really wonderful, relaxes much and it is just great to spend time in nature. We have many great fishing spots in Bosnia, without any good fishing controls by state, i enjoyed that with friends many times and would recommend anyone who is in position, financially speaking, to check few spots here, as for me, bad thing only is that i will first wait to get into marriage, then i guess all that is left will be catching fishes in some of nearby rivers :D