Normal?

Elyse

Okay so...this story is old but it still concerns me when I think about it.

Around the summer time, Suka got loose into the neighbourhood. My Dad was supposed to watch him, but he accidently went inside and forgot about him!

(Note: He is ALWAYS on a leash or tether while he is outside, but my Dad sometimes takes him out to the front yard and he'll just chill underneath the our camping trailer and follows my Dad back inside. He only really 'runs away' like that if he sees a squirrel or smells something interesting. Sometimes he'll come back right away and other times he'll keep on wandering around.)

When Dad came back outside, Suka was gone and he called me outside! After about 10 minutes of calling, searching, and being freaked out, I go inside and start to dial the number of the humane society.

The phone then rings in my hand, and its the humane society! :blink:

They tell me my dog was found in the neighbourhood. (He has a 24HourPetWatch tag with his ID and a number to call if he's found.). They tell me the address he's at and I go rushing over with my car.

About 4 minutes of driving, I reach the address and see the strangest site. Suka is on the front lawn of their house, surrounded by the family, and a dog leash!?

So I get out of my car and I was about to chew them out on why they stuck a leash on MY dog when Suka comes bounding up to me all happy. Before I could get a word out, the cute little 8ish year old kid explained the situation.

They were out on their family walk, like they always do at that time, when they saw Suka trotting along the sidewalk. (Conveniently, when he runs away, he always goes and comes back on the sidewalk. I think he's safety conscious. :P) Suka comes up to them wagging his tail and they notice he has a collar and tag, so the 8 year old ran back to the house (Suka stayed with them! Nobody was holding onto their collar, they said.) and brought back a dog leash. (They owned a little dog. Like a wiener dog.) The kid attached the leash to Suka's collar and walked him back to their house! The parents contacted the humane society.

This...alarms me. Would all huskies willingly allow themselves to be leashed by strangers and brought back to their house? I mean, those people could have just kept Suka for themselves; but instead they did the honest thing and called the number! I guess they understood cause they had a dog of their own but...wow.

Suka's always been stellar with strangers (never growls at stranger, or his 'pack' (us), and has a laidback temperament.) but I'd never think he'd willingly following somebody else back to a new house!

:blink:

(Nevertheless, I chewed my Dad out and I don't think he'll let him outside with a leash ever again!)

I think Zihna wouldn't have a problem going with strangers either. She always loves other people more than me .... well for the first 5 minutes anyway!!!! :lol: :lol: I am not surprised Suka went with them especially if they gave plenty of cuddles. I know Zihna is especially crazy about children. These kids came up to us on a walk one time and petted her. They had roller blades and when they moved on Zihna was crying for them as long as they were in sight! :rolleyes:

Ah - its nice to see Suka isn't the only one! And I knew Sibes were wonderful with strangers, but I didn't think they would willingly let themselves be 'stolen'.

I wonder if he would care if he was actually stolen and never allowed to see his 'pack' again? Probably not. :P

Sibes are opportunistic and very adaptable. Its a trait that was actually bred for. In the villages the dogs werent really owned by a single person, they were shared. If someone needed to go on a trip they simply gathered whatever 8 dogs (or however many they wished to hook up) were closest at hand at that moment and off they went. At races you'll see mushers loan out dogs to friends with ease. This past winter I raced a team who had never even really met me prior to the first race. They still ran hard and had no qualms going home with me for a week till the following race. So in answer to your question, yes your average husky will usually happily go home with any dog person.

That being said, if someone tries to leash OC and lead him away from me he will throw a major fuss. He has a hard time if my mom tries to take him for a run and he can see me staying behind. Often I have to pretend like I'm leaving and hide until they are off the property. Vix wouldn't let herself be caught LOL Ronan, hard to say the only time he's been led away from me is with people he knew before hand. That being said with his ld owners when he would escape he would not let himself be caught cause he knew it would end his fun

we went to the vet the other day and the girl who took him leashed him and kirby walked away from my wife and I without looking back. I was surprised but by no means insulted. HOWEVER, I know that if i had call his name he would have freak out if he realized he was being walked by someone else and not his owners.

however in the scenario suka was kirby would never let himself be leashed. he likes being petted but wont let anyone out a leash on him, not even me.

every time embry gets out we can only get him if he's cornered.

when he got out a couple of weeks ago, i called my mom to come help me look, and when we found him, i called him and he started to run again, but when my mom got out of the car, called him he came bouncing up to her and hoped right in the car <_<

glad you got suka back though :) what a cute kid!

Glala and Dana don't care. When I walked them for the first time on my own, they didn't looked back where Ruth was :lol:

Dana has quite a bit separation anxiety, but only with Glala :huh: Is she can't she her, she goes nuts, but doesn't care if she's either with me. her owner or just alone (with Glala) for a few hours.

if they had food anyone could get my guys into their home!

They're not exactly loyal these sibes lol, i often decide to 'steal' a dog at the park during meet ups, none of them have had any problems being led away by me lol, most seem excited by me (their new friend) and what adventure we're about to embark on!!

When i rehomed Keyusha she didnt notice when laura and amanda left (too busy with other dogs) and was more than happy to let me put her harness and a lead on her, and she jumped into the car and fell asleep on my lap like she'd always been with us

Grey put up a bit more of a fight, he did NOT like that he had been left with strangers when Tony left, and tried all he could to open the gate to follow. Once we left the park tho he settled and was fine, like Keyu, he jumped into the car and came home like he had always lived with us, he even seemed to know the way to my house!! :huh:

So yea, sibes are pretty easy to thief... Which is why we keep them in secure yards and on leads!! :lol:

absolutly mine would be the same. Thunder would lounge around as if he lived there all his life and storm would soon find a toy to bring to you and request its thrown!

I've fostered a number of huskys and each one of them happily jumps in the car, follows me while on a lead and doesnt take one look at their 'owner' who is sobbing their heart out.

Its totally a husky trait that they are so unfaithful & as long as their needs are met they will adapt really quickly

Eika's a bum and when she got out last year she wouldn't come to me, but ran straight up to a man in business dress (oops!) and was jumping all over him for cuddles, he grabbed hold of her collar (why i keep a collar on her) and then brought her back over to me...! so i think she would go with anyone. But a day later i would be getting a phone call asking me to go and get this crazy dog!

I took Siku with me during a home check for a local husy rescue. She just loved the family and acted like she lived there! I swear I could have left her there and she would have been happy as could be. Though they did say she looked a bit worried when I went out back without her to check out their fence, so maybe she would miss me. :D