Showing

Erosdream

HI, joined the other day my introduction is there with photos of my bunch. I need some help and advice.

Years ago I did a spot of showing when I had only one husky but I didn't have transport so could only got to shows that I could walk too, she didn't enjoy them so I stopped. Now I'd like to get back into showing I can travel a bit further as I have a car laugh.gif

I have phoned, emailed,search internet, trawled websites....... numbers no longer in use, emails unanswered, leading me in circles to the same people, websites are 'down', poster out of date,or simply people don't know. I'm pulling my hair out trying to find a local ringcraft trainer so until I can find one I needs some advice on how to get an excited puppy to gait without instantly breaking into a gallop and choking herself at the end of the lead, I have used all manner of treats liver/sausages/chicken/duck etc etc, I've tried toys but none of these get her attention as soon as she feels the pull she has only one thought in her head and that is to pull as hard and fast as possible, my husband really wanted to show her but I'm at my wits end with the gaiting (I'm talking about our pup Waggles).

I can get her to stand now and it was done off lead with lots of praise I'm not sure how I can incorporate off lead & praise to gaiting???

Also, out of the two younger girls (Meg and Waggles) Meg has far better confirmation than Waggles but her tail will flop down one side of her body when she's excited, she carries it out when walking and dropped when standing as in her photo on the intro post, I've watched youtube videos of crufts from over the years and I've seen tails that look the same as hers. Her topline and movement are smoother and her ear placing is better than Waggles but her tail really puts me off as I don't want to make a fool of myself in the showring.

In my heart I know Meg is the better for showing but Waggles has more 'presence' but with more minor flaws.

Should her tail put me off?

Any advice for people would be great.

As long as when she stacks her tail rests where it should (meaning you can get her to relax and focus on you when in the ring) you should be fine.

As for the gaiting, have her on a lead and start out as soon as she breaks the trot stop suddenly and pay not attention to her. When she comes back to you start off again at the pace you want keeping her lead short to encourage her to maintain the same pace as you but if she breaks it stop suddenly again. Anytime she does gait praise her well but tnot too much excitement as it could get her rowdy again. If she is very persistant about pulling hard and going faster you may want to even give her a bit of a half check when she breaks the gait.

Thanks ocspirit Meg always drops her tail when she stands so I might be in with a chance of not being laughed out the ring wink.gif

Problem with Waggles is that she has no gait, she goes from standstill to sprint in an instant, I cannot get her trot along side she wants to pull out front and she can run a heck of a lot faster than either myself or my husband.

I shall give it a try, it's the complete opposite to training for sprint racing, as soon as the dogs stops galloping/sprinting stop them, their dedication to running will soon make them realise if they slow down they no longer get to run so they keep running, then gradually build up distance so the dogs get good conditioning making sure hydration is proper.

I shall try it out and see how it goes, I know with huskies its all about perseverance, if I can train one to do heel-work to music then surely I can get a happy-go-lucky girl to gait. laugh.gif