help with my prong collar

HuskyCouture

please don't make this a debate about how they're bad for dogs, if you don't like it, happily close this page :)

anyway, i got one for Embry the other day as I lost his halti and wanted to give this a try, but i have an issue. I got the one with the plastic caps on it, and the collar is too big to be worn correctly and i can't figure out how to remove a few links to make it fit right, helppp?

it looks just like this one:

517uXwgtYfL.jpg

Remove the links just as if you were to open the collar to put them on. It's a little more difficult than the opening, but it works.

You will probably have to take the caps off in order to take the link out. Squeeze the 2 prongs together and slip them through the link they're attached to.

We got one of those for Odin but then found the canni collar which is a whole lot better than a halti, I did not like the look of that collar reminded me of some medieval tool to make someone confess,, sorry Jannet but give the canni a try, Linda cant walk Odin without it, just my opinion :)

My only experience with this sort of collar is during the short time when we were trying to find a good fit to hang out with Fox and we temporarily fostered a saint bernard...140lbs of teeth gnashing pulling that freaked out and tried to attack anyone who didn't offer her a treat because her previous owner had made her so dependent upon treat reinforcement (I am normally 5'8" and 128lbs)). We ended up finding her a home that was a MUCH better fit...but there are many a well meaning neighbor who would have lost a finger or two without the extra control that we had with her prong collar. Before that...I was completely against them because of the way they looked...We did the head collar thing with Fox and ended up stopping because of the head dives he was taking into the pavement to get it off...finding something that works is sometimes a rough road...especially when so many other people have success with it.

Good luck...hope that whatever you decide to use it works out for you.

I have been using the prong collar for 5 months now and she walks like a dream and it ended the jumping and barking at some of the smaller dogs that she didnt care for, good luck I'm sure it will work fine for you, I forgot when I was first using it I had to remove a few more links to make it more of a snug fit.

Jennet at the end of the day it is a tool to help as long as you follow the rules on the correct way to use it there wont be a problem.

I have not used one but I am lucky the canny coller works for my girls but there is times I find the half choke collor works well to.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with it.

I hope it works out for you and Embry, Jennet. We have a similar one for Lyra, but we don't use the caps. She really is a completely different dog now on the leash, both on and off her prong collar. It's a lot easier to focus her attention on us. I still think it's one of the best collars we invested in. :)