feeding my doggies together...

lisadavidson

Hey all!!!!

wondering if anyone can help. i have Lucian whos 6months and a new pup. both are very food orientated. i have had a few hiccups in the past with Lucian being possesive over bones/food with another dog we attempted to keep but the fighting got ridiculous and with having a 3yr old son i couldnt risk it, so rehomed her. i'm wanting to get them eating together. This is my routine at the mo. i hold both bowls up, Lucian goes outside i make him wait put bowl down (door is still open but Dresden is watching her bowl in my other hand. ) then say OK nad lucian starts eating i close the door. i make her sit and wait then feed her inside. so he eats outside, she eats in the kitchen. if she does leave a few bits i let him in and he finishes them, this has never resulted in any scraps.

so....should i just put both bowls down in the kitchen and hope for the best? or is there a better way>?

lisa xx

well i give them treats from my hand together but havent tried feeding them together, think i'm still traumatised from the other dog we had. but she was VERY aggressive in general with Lucian. i made a MEGA mistake not taking him with me to see her, the woman i got her from said she had always lived with other dogs, think she may have been telling porkies.

well i give them treats from my hand together but havent tried feeding them together, think i'm still traumatised from the other dog we had. but she was VERY aggressive in general with Lucian. i made a MEGA mistake not taking him with me to see her, the woman i got her from said she had always lived with other dogs, think she may have been telling porkies.

Personally because she is already aggressive with Lucian, I'd carry on as you are, it sounds like your managing it beautifully. Although I wouldn't let her eat any of Lucian's food even if he's finished as this will enable her dominate behaviour.

biggrin.gif

no sorry, the puppy isnt agressive with Lucian, may have written that wrong, we had a 6 month old bitch in a few months back who was agressive.

lisa x

Oh Ok...I probably read it wrong LOL

I'd give them a try then, just do your stuff (ask them to sit and wait) and then see how they go. To be honest they will probably be fine, especially because they'll take treats together. If you do have any signs of aggression from them, I'd make a high pitch screech and re-move their bowls and then start again with sitting and waiting.

Just make sure your calm and they'll be fine!

Good Luck biggrin.gif

we had food aggression with logan where we couldnt even treat them together but with alot of work we can now treat together and feed next to each other it is still supervised though but theyre really good now!

I feed all my guys together and I have 4 unless its raw and pasta and rice as my boy ice steal the others and jasper try to take hollie and gus so I move him into another room and ice goes in his crate. I always make them sit and wait and then feed them its always supervisored as soon as one of them go towards the others bowl I give them a quick no and then take them bk to their own bowl. You can try feeding them together maybe try doin it different sides of the room and stand between them. X