Just curious

Austinville

I know how we all love our huskies and wouldn't have any other breed.

BUT, how often do you actually encourage another person to get one? I can honestly say that I don't think I ever have.....

I live by the motto: "A good day is when I've talked someone out of getting one." Who do I think I am?

Have you ever encouraged anyone to get a husky? Seriously?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sort of - some1 i used to be friends with wanted a dog - and loved blaze - were originally going to get a gsd but it didnt work out - spent some time with blaze n decided that was the breed for them - we obviously told them the bad point but encouraged the good points - i have 2 say thats probably the only time tho and its not like i didnt warn them about the bad points even lent them my husky books - but yeh apart from that ive never gone out of my way to tell somebody this is the only breed to have - apart from maybe the parents ;) lol unfortunately they wont be swayed for a 3rd husky/4th dog lol

I know how we all love our huskies and wouldn't have any other breed.

BUT, how often do you actually encourage another person to get one? I can honestly say that I don't think I ever have.....

I live by the motto: "A good day is when I've talked someone out of getting one." Who do I think I am?

Have you ever encouraged anyone to get a husky? Seriously?

Hi Becky!

I'm with you. I can't say I've ever talked one into getting one. If anything, I've done all I could to make sure they know it all before making the decision. So far, so good. wink.gif

Guess i am naughty really & only really tell folk the negative points on the breed to try to put them off as i know what a difficult breed they can be. I have had a chap ask about the breed in our village the following week he went out & bought a sibe, told him about not letting them off lead , he was letting it offlead & he told me about it too. The thing is it troubled cattle 1 day & got put to sleep a few days later.

I've not either :blink: everytime someone asks me about them first thing I start with are the bad points, its like an automated response.

You find the biggest off putter is either the escaping, fur and not being an off lead dog, I do one of those three always seem to be the point when they get put off the breed.

I think I only purposely will discourage people from getting a Husky if they've said that they're pretty much looking for a stoic Labrador who looks like a wolf. Then I really give it to them hard.

But other times i'm just talking about my dogs and I guess just the things I do for them in general will put people off. Especially the 2 hours of daily exercise thing... That scares most. Also, the shedding.

Yes I have, they we're interested in working dogs, and wanted sibes to mush, they joined this forum and i invited them down for the day, we took Kira and grey out on the bike and they loved it, told them everything I could, they werent put off and last i heard they had rehomed 2 adult sibes.

tho i havent seen or heard from them since, hope its going ok.

It depends on the way they ask about them, and whether I know them or not, if I know they would be suitable then i tell them good and bad points, if I dont or they're a tw*t then i put them off. Only yesterday my aunt asked if I was breeding them cus she wanted one, I could have cried, she rehomed a staffy pup because it was chewing shoes and hyper :angry: I told her I wasnt and she seemed disgusted that they were done (or gunna be in Keyu's case)

My dad loves my guys, and I would be happy to help them get one, but only because I could help them out, my parents trust what Isay so if I said dont let it off lead, they wouldnt. They're not interested in a dog till the cat dies tho, and my mum isnt a big fan of dogs, but my dad loves em

After coming away from a conversation with an elderly couple thinking I'd just accidentally persuaded them to get one I've really been playing up the bad points (which is quite hard when she's behaving perfectly beside me! :lol:).

Never - if somebody at the park comments about how 'handsome' Suka is and mentions they've always wanted a husky...I always try to discourage them unless I know they are active and responsible. Most of the owners around here are too lazy for a husky - I'm super lucky cause I've got a lazy Sibe! lol

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll........I have quite a few people come up to me often children saying this is the kind of dog that they want when they grow up. And its not that I really want to talk them out of it, but I tell them the truth and the good sides and the bad sides and how much exercise they need and about the destruction etc etc etc well you all know all the pro's and con's......I always find myself telling them more bad then the good and I think that may sound to them like I don't want them to have one. :lol: :lol: But thats just the way it is and I don't want to be responsible for another Husky in a shelter because the person didn't know about the breed. But at the end I always add that if you exercise them plenty and do your research then they are the greatest dogs to have.

People dont need encoraging!!! :blink: The only person I have ever thought yeah she will do fine, was a little girl who came up to me.. must have been about 12 and said "Ooooh Huskies, that the breed I want".. so I started on my off put and she stopped me mid flow and said.. I know! She started realling off aaaall the bad points back at me and telling me how she planned to get around it.. I said to her, you are a husky owner in the making hon, you go for it when you can you'll be great! :D I was proud to have met such a well educated and dedicated girl, she clearly knew what she wanted and had DONE the research!

I usually tell people about their bad tratis, but I always tell people there are plenty needing homes in rescue. So yes, I have tried to talk a few people into getting one. Feel bad about it sometimes. lol. Like one time there was a young couple who had a large short hair dog of some kind. The boyfriend/husband (?) said he always loved huskies and really wanted one. I immediately said there was a really nice one at the shelter right now. Right after that the girlfriend started yelling at him about how he told her they couldn't get a golden cause it would shed too much! And now he wants a husky?! lol. Guess he's busted!