Sibs relieving themselves

toanjuice

I've been raising luna for a good few weeks now and im still so confused as to how to handle my situation

I live in a flat on the second floor and its a few dozen seconds to get outside to the forest behind my house

Currently I lay out newspaper for her to pee and poo and just replace it when she relieves herself, and occasionally mop the floor if she misses ( thank god i installed wooden floors lol )

What i really want is to train her to only relieve herself when she's outside, as its becoming a bit of a burden with what im doing now

Can only one please help me in how to train her to do so?

i dnt mind taking her out a few times a day, but she pees like once every hour!! which got me to worry she might be thinking " oh theres always newspaper here, i can just go when ever i want "

am i wrong?

shes about 15 weeks old now

and i was wondering how old sibs need to be before that can fully control their bladder and can hold everything in throughout the night

thankyou for your time

Hi,

I'm not sure about the training, as I adopted Suka when he was 6 years old so he was already trained to go outside, but I'm sure other members will be able to help you.

And I think Sibes have full control of their bladder when they are around 8 months old.

Do you have a balcony? When we first got our GSD she was trained to relieve her self on newspaper and we slowly moved this out onto the balcony! At the same time though we were taking her down stairs every hour or so, so that she got used to going outside on the grass.

What I did with duke is had puppy pads down just in case but always took him out every 15-30 mins. He finally relaized that he was supposed to go outside.

Also what u might try to do is dnt put the paper down. Just go outside and tell them potty or bathroom or whatever word u want to use for them to kno. N praise when the deed is done.

With Saskia and with being in a house I slowly cut down on the amount of newspaper I put at the back door and when she had peed on any I put it outside and left it there so she could smell it when she went out and this made her start to asociate going outside to pee. I eventually got down to very little paper in the house and outside until eventually none. We had a few accidents in the house by the back door when she was a little confused but she soon grew out of it. Hope this helps.

Unfortunately for you it is probably going to be a while till she can hold herself longer

we use to put Shadow out every time she ate,played and woke up,she picked it up really quickly and was clean from only 4mths.

in my opinion paper training makes it harder but i suppose given that you are 2 floors up you haven't really got a choice so i expect it'l take her longer to be clean

kodah is 16 weeks old now, we used the puppy pads instead of newspaper as they were a lot less messy and soaked up a lot more. as alex said prev. we began to move these outside so he got used to doing his do outdoors and then just took them away altogether, and he just went outside more or less staight away, from about 12wks old and now sits by the door if he needs to go out, of an evening he goes outside to pee then into his crate for the night without any pads, and he holds it til morning and wakes us to let him out to go pee, as he wont pee where he sleeps. so regular trips outside and praises n treats worked well for him.

4-5 months old is when they start to gain control of themselves... if you have a balconey I would use that as your garden, you can get doggy litter tray type things to put out there for you pup to go in and then its still sort of outside then gradually as she grows and can hold it longer you can remove it and just take her outside to go.

I would deffo do what armyman said use a command to go as this willh elp your pup understand what you want from her! :)

I used to watch a friends boxer pup some years ago when we lived in an apartment on the third floor. Whenever I had her I would offer her water every 30 minutes or so and when she was done drinking I'd pick her up and carry her downstairs.

The first time I had her I left the water out and she peed all over the place lol. And then I was gonna let her walk down the stairs and she peed half way down, but I learned quick and after I carried her down each time after she had a drink it was fine. Was a lot of exercise too for me and right then I knew that I will never have a pup as long as I live on 3rd floor!!! :lol: :lol:

I like the balcony idea as well if you have one available.

by 5 months they will have few messes, by 6 months you can expect no messes if potty training was successful. best thing you can do is take her out every hours for 15 mins, specially after she drinks water and eats, or wakes up from nap. we live in an apartment and we taught ours to go on the balcony. by 7 months he only goes on the balcony in the morning after waking up.

I honestly would scrap the newspapers/puppy pads and simply take her outside every 30 minutes to an hour, depending on her needs. You'll also want to take her out after playtime and when she wakes up. Praise and treat like crazy when she goes outside. If you catch her going inside, simply pick her up (even if it's mid-stream or mid-poop), say OUTSIDE in a firm voice, and take her out. Wait for a few minutes, and hopefully she'll finish outside.

We also live on the second floor of an apartment building, and when we first got Lyra, we were outside constantly. She hasn't had an accident since she was about 4.5 months old... knock on wood. :)