puking clear/ only in the morning

lokis_mom

So curious if anyone had any ideas: Last three mornings (and only in the morning between 9am-12pm) Loki has puked up clear liquid ( only 2 times a day) except once yesterday where it was yellow. We haven't switched his food, everything is normal he acts/plays same as always....any ideas? (I called the vet and my original vet is on leave till may and the one I talked to has no idea........so I wanted to bring him in but got yelled at jayce who says its nothing)

I found this on the internet; you don't know if the clear liquid is water or not?

Throwing up just water, especially right after drinking it can simply mean that your gulped down too much water too quickly. If this is the case, don't fill the water bowl up to the top, only put about a cup of water in the bowl, and fill the bowl often during the day.

Many times, a dog will throw up first thing in the morning, which looks like a clear (or sometimes yellow) frothy vomit. This happens because the dog's stomach is empty, and it's uncomfortable. By itself, with no other symptoms of illness (not eating, diarrhea, acting lethargic) this form of vomiting is nothing to worry about.

You can give your dog an extra treat, such as a milk bone just before you go to bed, so your dog's stomach isn't as empty in the morning. You could also give your dog a Pepcid AC in the evening. The typical dose for dogs is 0.25 to 0.5 mg per pound every 12 to 24 hours. If you have questions concerning the dose, talk to your vet. If your dog is on any other medication, or has kidney or liver disease, you should speak to your vet before using Pepcid AC.

(Source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Dogs-701/2008/7/Dog-Vomiting-2.htm)

This is normal, I wouldn't be worried. It happens when they are hungry, they puke bile and clear liquid.

I sometimes find puddles of liquid like that in the morning. It's nothing to be worried about, as I said. Probably he is really hungry in the mornings and that's why this happens. Maybe give him his evening meal a bit later so he doesn't get so hungry by morning? Or give him his breakfast earlier.

maybe ill give him a treat or something like that in his kong, but its odd it won't happen during the evening, but it has happened like 4hrs after he would eat in the morning, he has a set time that he eats and just now started the puking thing. I'll just keep an eye on it, thanx for all the responses not as freaked out anymore smile.gif

I've had this problem with Koda. At first we thought it was because he wasn't getting enough vitamins in his food. So we started giving him vitamin pills. That works really well, but he still throws up sometimes. After that we found out that if we turn the air down low at nights he doesn't throw up, so he was just getting too hot at nights.

Silas however was eating rocks and twigs in which we started giving him vitamin pills as well and he doesn't do that anymore.

My daughter's lhasa does this and we've found that she vomits when she doesn't have anything in her stomach. Usually it is clear, but occasionally yellow. She is just one of those dogs that needs to eat frequent small meals.

When she does the small, frequent meals, she has no problems.

• 1 month later...

Luna does that sometimes too. I asked our vet about it, and she said that most likely, it's acid build up that happens in her stomach in the morning (because she hasn't been fed yet) and then she pukes from the acid build up. I think it's benign, but definitely keep an eye on it in case it is anything more serious. ;)

Mika did this for a few mornings when I first got him.I also read that the cause could be too much time in between feedings... What I did was pushed dinner an hour later and since then he hasn't puked the clear yellow goop. Hope this helps.