Is your dogs booster jab necessary

Ron Tao&Sky

Annual Vaccinations for Your Dog?

Found this on the Internet.............Ron

Are they really necessary? - In a word, NO!

You probably receive an annual reminder from your vet that your dog is due for his/her annual checkup and vaccinations. I do.

But I don't have my dogs vaccinated any more.

For years I was hoodwinked into believing that vaccinations were essential to my dogs' health. Why else would my vet tell me my dogs needed an annual booster vaccination shot?

Why indeed.

I learned the answer when, after careful research, I decided not to expose my dogs to what I believe is unnecessary, and potentially dangerous, toxins, any more.

I received the letter from my vet as usual, advising that my dogs' annual checkup and vaccinations were due.

I made an appointment and arrived ready to do battle. I advised the vet that I had decided not to have my dogs vaccinated any more. She said "Fine."

That's right - after years of leading me to believe that these vaccinations were essential to my dogs' wellbeing, the vet agreed that they were not in fact necessary at all! She went on to stress the importance of still bringing the dogs in for their annual physical checkup (which was what I was doing, and certainly intended to continue to do).

So that's why we're all told that our dogs need annual vaccinations - it's simply a ploy to get us in so our dogs can be given a physical. Why not just tell us how important these annual checkups are instead of slowly but surely poisoning our dogs with these vaccines?

I don't have the answer to that, but I can tell you I was speechless.

I've now found out that all across America a new protocol for vaccinating dogs has now been issued and is slowly making its way to vets. (I haven't been able to locate a similar protocol for Australia, but I'm sure it's in the pipeline). This protocol does not recommend any vaccinations for dogs beyond 1 year of age!

Make sure you ask your vet next time a vaccination has been recommended for your dog - it this really necessary? And if you're not satisfied with the answer, consider getting a second opinion from another vet.

Side effects of this appalling over-vaccination which has been going on for years can be significant and severe.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is alot of different views, it's hard to know who's right blink.gif, i think a booster every year is abit much, but kira comes to work with me and to stay in the kennels there she has to have her boosters. Also my mum forgot to book her terrier in for his booster and remembered a few weeks after, they said she would have have the first vaccinations all over again!sad.gif

Some places require proof of vaccination before they can see/service your dog. Like grooming places, pet sitting services, and pet training services/classes.

I'll still vaccinate my dog. If the vaccinations were not necessary, why do the humane societies make sure all of the dogs are up to date on their shots before they come in and before they leave? Its obviously not about the money grab for vets, because humane societies run on donations and (little) government funding.

And maybe certain vaccinations are not necessary. But what about things like rabies? Personally, if my dog gets bit by a opossum or a raccoon - I want to be safe in the knowledge that my dog is protected and won't develop rabies himself.

our previous dogs were only done if going to kennels but none of them were insured but the girls are and I'm sure I read somewhere that the had to vaccinated, I will try to check nearer the weekend when I've got more time.

We don't need rabies vacs in UK unless the dog has a passport to go abroad

I find if you go on holiday & put your dogs in kennels, they are required to have had their jabs a few weeks / months before to take effect. Also, it is usually in the small print of your pet insurance that your policy may be invalid if your pet is not regularly vaccinated (although are any of the pet insurance companies vet trained or do they just have it as policy because they can??)

As for missing the annual vaccination by a few weeks, they would not have to start the jabs again, they would not look at starting the whole process unless your pet is more than 3 months overdue (we've had this with both of ours but we had proof ours had been vaccinated in time)

But it is each to their own - I had a pedigree GSD who was jabbed with everything as a pup - at 8 months he contracted Parvo. We pulled him through it & he never had another injection again until he was PTS at 13yrs as he had bowel cancer. Although Myshka & Diesel have been vaccinated annually.

There exist antibodies tests which you can use to see whether you need to re-vaccinate your dog. I, too, believe that it's not necessary to do boosters every year, but without seeing how his antibodies are, I wouldn't take the chance of not redoing his shots.

Also, dog boarding places all require vaccinations up-to-date. Because we travel with him we also need his passport to have all the shots up-to-date, so it's not really a choice for us anyway.

We aren't vaccinating after Ian's experiences with boosters.

Two dogs, not long after having their boosters keeled over and had a seisure and never recovered.

They then got Kelly and after her puppy vaccines never did boosters, she lived to 14 years without any problem and died of old age.

It was Kelly's breeder that said, basically dont have the jabs, they dont need them and can be adverse to them in some regards.

If anyone has the dog magazine that Nix was in , the same topic was featured in the edition about this very thing and I tell you what, it just confirmed what Ian was saying about.

on my insurance policy it says that unless all injections are up to date ,there are certain conditions that will not be covered.which leaves a wealth of get out clauses for insurance companys.so really what choice do you have but to go along with

Vaccinations in the simple terms are a prevention of getting those diseases. It's not just about going for your annual check up. Yes, your dog can still get those diseases having had their vaccinations, but it is much less likely to attract them than if they were not vaccinated.

Think about it, they could attract that disease at any point and that prevention vaccination could save their life one day.

There are also other benefits, like most kennels will not accept your dog unless they are fully vaccinated.

It's like the cervical cancer jab for people - Look at how many rushed in to get that jab because it is a prevention. Would you want to risk it?

Stacey xxx

It's like the cervical cancer jab for people - Look at how many rushed in to get that jab because it is a prevention. Would you want to risk it?

Thats not a good comparison, the Cervical jab is only available to those of a certain age group that have had only certain amount of partners.

I should know, I was a year too old when it finally came out on the NHS. :angry:

Also if that should be the case for boosters, why do humans not have annual jabs for all the bad bad viruses like mumps, measels, rubella, polio (in drops), shingles....and before you say it flu jabs are a different strain of virus every year.

Somebody find that article from Nix's magazine STAT!!! LOL....:lol:

Thats not a good comparison, the Cervical jab is only available to those of a certain age group that have had only certain amount of partners.

I should know, I was a year too old when it finally came out on the NHS. :angry:

Also if that should be the case for boosters, why do humans not have annual jabs for all the bad bad viruses like mumps, measels, rubella, polio (in drops), shingles....and before you say it flu jabs are a different strain of virus every year.

Somebody find that article from Nix's magazine STAT!!! LOL....:lol:

Well, a tetanus shot is effective for only 5 years. Humans that work with animals, like vets, have to have rabies shots regularly as well.

There are several other diseases for which the vaccine is not effective for your entire life.

That maybe true Elmo, but still, how quick was the rush for people within that criteria to get it done because they had the opportunity of a prevention. It's still a prevention jab that people are having to prevent themselves from harm (regardless of criteria) and those boosters are a prevention to stop your dog from getting fatal diseases.

I'm sure if the dog could talk and you said, mate you can either have a high risk of getting these diseases or I can get you this jab that will strongly prevent you from getting those diseases that could kill you that they would opt in to have that prevention - same as humans do.

And also each jab is different - Dogs are exposed to the bare floor and feaces at close contact regularly - and some will eat it when they're owners arent looking as well as rolling in it, so it is extremely important for them to have regular prevention to reduce the risks of getting these things.

Persephona also brought up some good points on human jabs, and like I said, each jab is different.

Stacey xxx

100% agree! A lot of research shows the risks of boosters are just as high as the dog contracting the disease its meant to protect!

I'm sure if the dog could talk and you said, mate you can either have a high risk of getting these diseases or I can get you this jab that will strongly prevent you from getting those diseases that could kill you that they would opt in to have that prevention - same as humans do

you forget to mention that the jab itself could also kill them, whether it be a tumour growth below the injetion point or an adverse reaction to the vaccine??

Well, a tetanus shot is effective for only 5 years. Humans that work with animals, like vets, have to have rabies shots regularly as well.

There are several other diseases for which the vaccine is not effective for your entire life

You could argue that due to the constant contact with each strain of virus your level of anti bodies would actually always be at a high level? Immunity doesnt drop, especially when it involved live vaccines, due to the booster itself it would drop once the body no longer has a need to defend itself against the disease, surely your not saying that your body doesnt have a memory against disease?

Vaccines for NEW lethal diseases for both humans and animals alike are necessary, but boosting for disease that people or animals are constantly exposed to shouldnt be.

If you really believe it is get your husky a titre test before the vaccination, you would be suprised what level of immunity is still available.

Given the fact that every dog I've seen die from one of the diseases that can be prevented through vaccine did not have regular boosters gives me more reason to go with experience over the supposable "facts".

In all the time I worked at the vets I never saw a dog die or have a bad reaction to having a booster done, but I saw at least 5 that died that had only had their first vaccinations done and the owners never continued with their boosters.

I personally am going to go with vaccinating my girl.

Stacey xxx

im guessing you werent there long Stacey?

But If you base your decision on your experiences ill go with that of Dr Ron Schultz whose been doing research on the topic since 1974 and has compared the studies that amount to thousands of dogs, from this he states that after the initial puppy vaccines and the first booster at 15 months your dog will have LIFE LONG immunity to those diseases.

Can you send me a link to that please?

I think that if it really provided lifelong immunity then please tell me why all these charities and shelters are helping to pay out for annual boosters if they are so unnecessary. They are so keen to keep funding - so why are they bothering to make large payouts when these dogs have supposable "life long" immunity. I can't see how they'd do that if this research is so true and proven.

Stacey xxx

I am undecided on this whole debate but I wanted to pipe in on a couple things.

Charities rescues:

They pretty much have an obligation to make sure pets are immunized and since most of the time when pets are brought in they may not know the medical history.

Even if they do have a full history they still pretty much just follow the guidelines set by the vet industry so they are not liable for anything that may happen.

Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to an issue with the new family pet that bites the toddler and is later found to have rabies...

Vets:

They are not going to turn away the extra cash made by boosters.

Their really isn't much wiggle room when it comes to the "vet standards", they pretty much just stick with these standards since this is what they were taught in vet school.

Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to an issue with the new family pet that bites the toddler and is later found to have rabies...

Me:

I guess for me right now I'll just keep getting the boosters, until someone with a wealth of information and years of study set new vet standards.

Better to be safe then sorry when it comes to an issue with my baby girl if she bites the toddler next door and is later found to have rabies...

Stacey use google and im sure you will find numerous sources, if you do some research you willl find FACTS that promote what the OP is saying.

In regards to the shelters, its a good question, why do they also neuter all their animals before they are given homes?? Im not going to argue about the pro's and cons of neutering but its another questionable practise. Charities are always going to be vulnerable by going aginst the grain, if the majority of their supporters are pro neutering and pro vaccinations then their hardly going to go aginst them are they? They would be out of business within weeks.

Very true Nelson and with the sueing culture we have these days thats what the majority of places are going to stick too. Like you say what we need is more research and unfortunately whilst vets and vaccine manufactures are making millions from us they arent going to be putting them selves forward anytime soon, what you have to look for is the information available from individuals and organisations that have no benefit from proving against the going trends regarding vaccines, only then can you find an unbiased result.

This is a good post. I must say My cat had all first lot of jabs and first booster none after that tounch wood she is healthy and is 11 this year.

My girls I have kept them going every year. My insurance will be void if not kept up to date. I think I will be talking to my vets and insurance campany. I agree if not needed why do it. blink.gif

Must admit once they have there first lot they should build up an amune system and all our dogs growing up only had there first lot when pups and all lived to a good age from 14 -18years infact never a prob untill they got old. Jess bless his heart my mum had done yearly and he only lived till he was 10 sad.gif so even having his check ups the vets did not pick up that he was dieabetic even though she told them he has been drinking alot put on alot of weight they put it down to his age.angry.gif she did go further and won her case but we still lost Jesssad.gif

so does make me wonderunsure.gif

All I'm going to say then is not everything you read on the internet is true written facts.

Till I see an actual movement in vaccinations, Im not prepared to believe that vaccinations are a bad thing.

Therefore, I'm going to keep vaccinating my girl - Never had a problem before with any of my previous dogs with boosters nor did I see any problems when I worked at the practice, so I'm happy to keep going with it; if others don't want to, that's their choice.

Stacey xxx