Is this strange???

26nikita

Willow has this strip down her back, like many others, but the fur has a different texture. At first I thought maybe she got something in her fur but I gave her a bath and that's not it. Dakota has a darker strip down his back but the fur feels the same as the rest of his body. Does anyone elses dog have the strip down their back and it feels coarser?

100_0683.jpg

My girl Nukka has the strip but my boy Shadow doesnt (but I suspect hes part Mally so maybe thats why he doesnt have it?) I would THINK its thicker corser guard hairs around that area to proect the spine?? Ovbviously in the really cold weather joints might get affected so maybe the spine has extra protection??? Best I can come up with anyway!

Could be a couple things going on here. often there's a lot more guard hairs congregated which makes it feel coarser. This is fine and of no concern at all.

Another common occurrence is for the coat to be quite greasy between the withers. If this is the case you'll want to take a close look at her diet. It could be something as simple as too much fat in her diet or oils. Low grade dog food tends to be quite greasy and can cause this. Along with too many treats, bones, etc. There are many other factors that can cause a greasy coat too. I believe thyroid is one. Basically it happens but it shouldnt and the underlying cuase should be found out.

Could be a couple things going on here. often there's a lot more guard hairs congregated which makes it feel coarser. This is fine and of no concern at all.

Another common occurrence is for the coat to be quite greasy between the withers. If this is the case you'll want to take a close look at her diet. It could be something as simple as too much fat in her diet or oils. Low grade dog food tends to be quite greasy and can cause this. Along with too many treats, bones, etc. There are many other factors that can cause a greasy coat too. I believe thyroid is one. Basically it happens but it shouldnt and the underlying cuase should be found out.

WOW, I didn't even think it could be an issue. Just thought it was odd. I'm taking them to the vet soon so I will have him look at her. Thanks.

Interesting theory. Have you read any research behind this? Would be curious to learn more. I currently feed Lily fish oil pills for her skin n' coat, but if it's making her hair greasy (hence why she gets the stripe down her back) I'd stop. She's also on a high protein food (Orijen Large Breed Puppy). Wonder if that's a contributing factor!

Interesting theory. Have you read any research behind this? Would be curious to learn more. I currently feed Lily fish oil pills for her skin n' coat, but if it's making her hair greasy (hence why she gets the stripe down her back) I'd stop. She's also on a high protein food (Orijen Large Breed Puppy). Wonder if that's a contributing factor!

Research no, just experience with literally hundreds of sibes all from different livelihoods with different diets and knowing each one exactly ;) Are you saying she IS indeed extra greasy along her spine or the coat just feels different? If the coat feels coarser because of the extra long guard hairs then its no worry at all like I said. That's totally normal and of benefit for deflecting rain/snow like Gigi mentioned. An extra greasy feeling is what would be concerning. Greasy as in you pet her and its like running your hand through someone's hair who hasnt showered in a couple weeks. Greasy as in it feels like there is a film on your hands after petting the dog and its not just common filth (dust and dirt).

I had a dog live with me over a winter that had this greasy problem. Her diet for her age (9) and activity level (low, I was getting her back in shape) was terrible. Way too much fat. I changed her diet and it helped a bit but certainly did not clear it all up. Turns out she had thyroid issues, once on meds her coat went nearly back to normal. Still on the greasy side compared to the average but certainly much better than it was. The hair over her withers was so greasy it constantly looked wet!

Research no, just experience with literally hundreds of sibes all from different livelihoods with different diets and knowing each one exactly ;) Are you saying she IS indeed extra greasy along her spine or the coat just feels different? If the coat feels coarser because of the extra long guard hairs then its no worry at all like I said. That's totally normal and of benefit for deflecting rain/snow like Gigi mentioned. An extra greasy feeling is what would be concerning. Greasy as in you pet her and its like running your hand through someone's hair who hasnt showered in a couple weeks. Greasy as in it feels like there is a film on your hands after petting the dog and its not just common filth (dust and dirt).

I had a dog live with me over a winter that had this greasy problem. Her diet for her age (9) and activity level (low, I was getting her back in shape) was terrible. Way too much fat. I changed her diet and it helped a bit but certainly did not clear it all up. Turns out she had thyroid issues, once on meds her coat went nearly back to normal. Still on the greasy side compared to the average but certainly much better than it was. The hair over her withers was so greasy it constantly looked wet!

Ah, ok, I got ya. Her hair never really feels greasy (unless she's been dirty a lot between baths, and even then, it doesn't seem to be only limited to the spine stripe). It's just a texture and look variation compared with the fur on her sides and neck/head. I thought it was because she's a Husky X, but good to see it's one of her Husky traits shining through! :D Thanks for the additional info and insight, good to know these things to compare, and I'll be keeping an eye on Lily's coat! :)

• 13 years later...
On 4/11/2011 at 10:41 PM, HeatherZeman said:

Lily does! Like a coarser/thicker coat right down her back. After baths it becomes soft and matches the rest of her fur. but after a few days the texture returns. When's she's at the dog park and tense, it stands up like a mohawk! :lol:

Luna does too, she’s all white. It looks just like a Mohawk! We also have a solid black husky Shadow and he doesn’t but his whole coat is much silkier feeling than hers. Can’t wait for them to have babies!