humping

husam

I got this issue with my puppy,his 10 weeks old and i have him for about a week now, and for like the couple 2 days everytime he has the chance he tries to hump my leg or whatever...is this normal?im not letting him do it but he continues...i need some explanations...

Yes its normal, its a dominance thing. I would surgest you look up "nothing in life is free" and start to practise this with him, it will show him you are the boss without any unessasary force. When he starts to hump you just push him gentley away and tell him firmly NO then distract him with a toy or something instead, he will quickly learn that thats not gunna get him anywhere. :) Also I would chat to your vets the next time you take him in for a check about when they would advice to neauter him as this will help with dominant bevahiour as well as the training.

I would say, when he is humping push him away and remove him from the room, for example if you are in the living room and he starts to hump you leg, push him away and take him to the hallway, then close the door to the living room for a few minutes.

He will stop humping you pretty soon if he learns that by doing this he is removed from the room and ignored.

noooooooooooooo dont let him hump other dogs. he could end up killed. He is being dominant and testing boundaries. Do you know his parentage? what were the parents temperaments?

i know his parents,dont know their temper,im going to ask the breeder

agree this is a dominance thing, Shaer (female husky) humps Talon (male very large malamute) at least 20 times a day.She's not daft though because she only does it when he is destracted. She always has a huge grin oin her face :) when she is doing it. Poor Talon :D

Go to him and pull him off the other dog and say NO. If he goes back and starts humping the other dog again, do the same thing and leave that place. If you don't want to leave, you can keep him with you, on the leash, for 5 minutes or so, for a time-out.

Just make it clear to him that if he starts humping other dogs, no more play time for him.

Hi Husam,i remember you getting your puppy recently and now you are saying he is out and mixing with other dogs,do you not have to have their innoculations done over in Romaniia?

He could end up picking all sorts up and being very poorly!!

the thing is, i can make him stop humping me,but when his off the leash playing with other dogs, how can i make him stop

The thing is your dog is very young, you need to instil discipline in him first before taking him to play with other dogs... Being off lead at that age you are just asking for trouble, Work with him for recall training first, so he knows to come back to you. Don't just let him off. 10 weeks is very young and he really needs to learn first.

Hi Husam,i remember you getting your puppy recently and now you are saying he is out and mixing with other dogs,do you not have to have their innoculations done over in Romaniia?

He could end up picking all sorts up and being very poorly!!

he is vaccinated and this dog he was playing with was my friends and he is also vaccinated so i figured there is no danger if they socialize

@

Rich & Kody

we were in my backyard

he is vaccinated and this dog he was playing with was my friends and he is also vaccinated so i figured there is no danger if they socialize

/quote]

did u not have to have 1 lot then wait 2 wks then 2nd jab,then another 2 wks before he can go out?

i suppose different vets/countries have different ways.

he has to get vacinated 3 times,the first 2 times are for common stuff and the last one is for rabies and he has to do it next week but since i dont have any animals in my backyard and my friends dog is vaccinated i think its ok for him to play with him

Just thought I'd chime in that humping isn't always necessarily about dominance. Sometimes it can simply be about releasing pent up energy. Lyra acts submissively towards Bauer, her husky BFF, by licking him in the mouth, and two seconds later she humps him. She just gets sooo excited during their play that she tries to direct it somewhere.

Depends on your dog. :)