I'm NEW!!

Jdarr2113

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum as well as new to being a Husky owner. My name is Josh and a small puppy came into my life 2 weeks ago. Her name is E-V and she is 8 weeks old now. I have had other dogs before most around the age of 1-2 years. She is the first puppy I have ever had and I am doing everything I can to make sure I train her the right way. I have been reading up on how to do things the right way, so far it's going mediocre.

The potty training has been going fairly well, she knows to wine when she wants to go outside and when I take her out and tell her to pee she does it right away. Although I have to watch sometimes when I say it because when I tell her to pee she will pop a squat anywhere (Grass, sidewalk, inside, on my foot.. ect.). She has only had a few accidents inside because I either couldn't hear her wine or because she was mad at me for not letting her chew the coffee table leg. Sometimes I will take her out and she will pee n then want to go inside, only to poop on the floor 10mins later when I'm not watching. Any suggestions on helping with this problem would be great!

I also have a problem with her biting. Not so much doing it just to do it but when anyone tries to pet her she wants to bite them, and her teeth are waaayyyy too sharp for that. She actually got me really good the other day when I told her she wasn't allowed out into the parking lot and picked her up, she drew blood on that one. I read that a firm NO to anything bad she does is the best way to teach them as well as appraise her for doing things right.

I live in a house with 2 of my friends in Pittsburgh PA. They don't do much to help with her and insist on telling me, it's your dog not mine. So I have been doing my best to keep her occupied and playful. We are very active me and my friends, we snowboard, skateboard, and surf. I have been wondering how my little girl will do when we go to the beach, if it would be a good idea to have a friend take care of her or if it is okay to take her to the beach with us. We go on a week long surf trip down the east coast stopping at about 5 different beaches along the way. I wanted to know if taking her would be a bad idea.

If anyone has any tips on ANYTHING I could do to help increase the productivity of training I would be open to anything. Thank you for taking the time to read over my puppy life story and helping out!

New and Proud Husky Owner,

Josh D.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heya,

Welcome to the forum :)

With the biting, you need to teach her its no ok (this normally happens weeks 7 and 8 of being with their mum) when she bites, let out a bit ouch!, if she persists you can turn your back on her and ignor her. Or if she bites the hand, just hold her lower jaw for a few seconds saying No. dont hold too tight but enough so she cant slip out.

With the potty training, just take them out every hour rewarding when the do something. if the start going inside, pick them up and run them outside.

By the sounds of it your doing well so far :)

welcome to the pack - cant wait to see some pics

you got her quite young so she might be a LITTLE harder to train but with us lot to help you should be fine :P - she will be fine to go the beach with you but obviously first she needs all of her vaccinations and you dont want to walk her too far so young either

Thank you. I try to hold her jaw shut and tell her no as well as give her a tap on the top of her snout, but when I hold her jaw shut she wines and I am afraid I am hurting her n feel bad. She is a really good puppy otherwise. I take her for a walk twice a day around the circle where I live and that is usually about 1/4 mile. She likes to get out and sometimes we take a short run just to get her used to the feeling. By the time she gets back its usually right to the water then she goes in her crate and lays down.

Her shots appt is nxt week and I can't wait for it cause I get worried every time I take her out. There are a few husky owners where I live and they tell me about some thing that she can get from playing in the dirt that can kill her in under 2 days so I am very worried about all of that. But she is growing very fast and learning even faster. She kinda knows not to be on the couches cause my house mates don't want hair on the couch but when she is trained a little better she will be more then welcome to sleep in my bed cause she is too cute to say no to =)

She kinda knows not to be on the couches cause my house mates don't want hair on the couch but when she is trained a little better she will be more then welcome to sleep in my bed cause she is too cute to say no to =)

Haha if their worried about Hair, not being on the couch wont be a cure ;) Their hair gets everywhere! Part of the fun in my opinion :D

Having them on the bed i find is very comforting, and can be extremely cute when they are dreaming. Just hope you have a big bed, I had to buy a new one, as Kody managed to push me off

a few weeks ago. Its not a nice wake up hitting the floor :P

Hi there, and welcome. Sounds like you're going to have lots of adventures to take your puppy on which I bet she'll love, I would take her with whenever you can most dogs love that kind of stuff.

As for the biting and house training it just takes time I don't think you are doing anything wrong from the sounds of things. You'll as she gets older that if you're consistent all of your traning will pay off it just never happens as quickly as we want it too, but I bet in a few months thing will be a lot different.

All the best,

meghan

I would love to put up some pics, but the uploader keeps saying the system is down, so I will try again soon! She is amazing!

If the forum uploader isnt working you can put them on Picasa by google or Flickr and link to here (Id do it quick, some of the members can be quite Pic addicted ... they need their fix'es each day)

Hi and welcome! Let us know how yipping when she bites you (then ignoring her briefly/not playing after) works - it works well for most puppies, but if not, there are a few other things to try. As for coming back in and pooping, while that little (and for the first couple of months) they usually need to pee shortly after each and every time they wake up, have been playing, eat, drink or simply turn around, as you've probably discovered!

They need to poop a little less frequently, but not much! When you take her out, take a little longer if she's recently eaten (the time they're most likely to need to poop), and tell her "poop' or whatever command you want to use for that particular function. When she does it outside, give her lots and lots of praise - make a fool of yourself, and give her something really, really yummy! Bil-Jak makes a freeze-dried liver treat that most dogs really love; it will crumble in a pocket if left there long, but it's easy to break off little pieces, and a little piece - or a couple of tiny ones to make her think she's gotten multiple treats (jackpotting, it's called), is easily as good as a larger treat.

Good luck! smile.gif

So far this morning the yipping is working, already! She bites, I yip and she gives me this look like "Oh really?" then just uses her little front teeth to nibble and bite softly. Thank you for the advice! We just went on a nice little walk and when we go on walks with the leash (today was her 4th time out on the leash) she kinda whines about it and stops then when I pet her she whines more. Is that normal?

If I remember correctly you shouldn't be walking her too much, especially if she's only 8 weeks old. How do you define a "little walk"? I think it's 5 minutes for every month old they are or something like that? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Welcome to the forum though! You'll learn a lot here. Everyone is very helpful!

What color is E-V? We need pics!

Aww she is gorgeous :)

but please be careful taking her out til sh'e had her jabs,she could get really poorly.

if you want her to have a little exercise why not play games with her in the house or your own garden,you'll be surprised how this will wear her out being so young.

So she started her digging stage yesterday.. we have come so far without digging sad.gif. She wants to go out in the mulch and dig dig dig. I want to let her dig but she hasn't had her shots yet so I have to keep telling her no and moving her away. I don't want her to think she can't dig, but there isn't anything I can do. By the way, The yipping when she bites is working wonders! She realizes it and stops without a second guess.. that is unless she is playing rough then she will continue but that is puppy play rolleyes.gif. I hope to have more pics up soon!