A Breeding section

Husky

I think that having a breeder section would benefit this forum. It would contain breeder recommendations so if someone came and asked, "I live in [insert country or area] and I am looking for an ethical siberian husky breeder". Someone could give them recommendations. What do you guys think?

I think that having a breeder section would benefit this forum. It would contain breeder recommendations so if someone came and asked, "I live in [insert country or area] and I am looking for an ethical siberian husky breeder". Someone could give them recommendations. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure, what if something went wrong and it came back on the forum? I'm sure there is a few websites in the US that have that type of info, over here we have champdogs, you can usually find knowlageable people on the forum who you would speak to in private about those things. I did a lot of reseach on the breeder who i'd like a pup from, It's pretty easy to get that type of infomation by looking at what shows they've competed in and what their dogs have score wise, you can check on the kennel club website if they have health tested their dogs and what the scores are for hips, eyes etc. Where I do think it would be great in theory, it could come back on the forum negativly if there was recomendations, I mean there are quite a few good breeders out there and it could influence those who can't be bothered to do their own research negativly. Just my opinion.

What might be good is a spread on how to go about doing the research? Perhaps, just a surgestion.

If you type in Siberian Husky Breeders and your state in google a variety of websites come up, some of them list registered breeders by state. Most reputable breeders shouldn't have any issue with you asking for references during your initial inquiry...probably with a lot of other questions (I'm sure that if someone was unsure after researching, what they ought to ask a breeder that coming to the forum for help with what to ask wouldn't be looked down on).

That said, I think that that particular forum causes a bit of liability for the forums, specifically because of the differing laws internationally regarding speaking of others...additionally there is a policy on this site that prohibits advertising other sites or animal selling of any sort (even for donation)...I'm going to assume that a forum section specifically endorsing particular breeders would fall into that category.

unfortunatelty it is against the rules to advertise any breeders - as obviously any1 could then post they have puppies for sale but could be back yard breeders and/or breeding unhealthy, unregistered, unhealth-tested dogs - which could then end in heartache n said heart broken owner would then POSSIBLY come on here n slate the forum for it - as obviously the forum staff cant do ALL the background checks needed to make sure only legit breeders links ect are posted up there

if u need help finding a breeder thought post up and other people in your area can give you the names of legitiment breeders in your area for you to have a look at

I think the text description for our forum will explain why we dont and wont have a breeders section

Husky Owners - A fun, friendly and informative husky forum, built by husky owners, for husky owners. Not a company, not a breeding site - purely out there for you to enjoy and meet new siberian husky lovers.

however i would support a section whcih had closed subject on breeding - why its so important NOT to do it etc

So nobody should breed? Or just some? Or just who some people see fit? Or should all the huskies in welfare be out of rescue before any more are bred, in which case the breed would almost certainly become extinct eventually?

If you cant read the above sentence without getting even slightly annoyed about one part of it, then you should understand why its not happening...... We are a site for people to meet other owners, discuss there experiences, help each other out occasionally, go out and get drunk at camps, share fun pics of their loving pets ..... We never have and never will be about anything to do with breeding, including specific areas that are only for information on it. Its not about whether there should be information for these people, its about the sites purpose in the same way that i wouldnt set up a forum specifically for Windows XP or for Woodwork lessons.

I wouldnt like it thats for sure.

I think people that are on Sibespace would remember a certain member that asked all the right questions about whether her pup was in heat and when to avoid mating time...only then to find out she did indeed breed her under age pup at a year old, only to have one of the litter having dwarfed features and on ensued all the people shocked at how she turned all their well meaning info and advice into something so horrible and against all what we stand for. She then dissappeared after a barrage of insults on those that were scorned, then to appear six months later with yet another litter of pups available from the same girl.

She promptly got banned from the site.

I dont want something like that happening here.

So nobody should breed? Or just some? Or just who some people see fit? Or should all the huskies in welfare be out of rescue before any more are bred, in which case the breed would almost certainly become extinct eventually?

If you cant read the above sentence without getting even slightly annoyed about one part of it, then you should understand why its not happening...... We are a site for people to meet other owners, discuss there experiences, help each other out occasionally, go out and get drunk at camps, share fun pics of their loving pets ..... We never have and never will be about anything to do with breeding, including specific areas that are only for information on it. Its not about whether there should be information for these people, its about the sites purpose in the same way that i wouldnt set up a forum specifically for Windows XP or for Woodwork lessons.

ok valid point...yes of course breeding does need occur so the breed doesnt die out but with all the things which should be in place adn all the considerations before hand. Not cos someone randomly wants to 'stud' their dog or they want to make some money out of pups. when done well there aint no money out of breeding thats for sure.

I wouldnt like it thats for sure.

I think people that are on Sibespace would remember a certain member that asked all the right questions about whether her pup was in heat and when to avoid mating time...only then to find out she did indeed breed her under age pup at a year old, only to have one of the litter having dwarfed features and on ensued all the people shocked at how she turned all their well meaning info and advice into something so horrible and against all what we stand for. She then dissappeared after a barrage of insults on those that were scorned, then to appear six months later with yet another litter of pups available from the same girl.

She promptly got banned from the site.

I dont want something like that happening here.

wow seriously?? this happened??? How can anyone breed their pup at such a young age?? Its understandable if it was purely accidental as its hard to keep an eye on the dog at all times but surely this is revolting stuff!! Good on yas for banning her!! :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I don't think breeder recommendations are the way to go. I have been on fora where people have been happily recommending one of the most appalling puppy farmers in the UK.

I think it is much better to have a "sticky" advising people what to look for in a good, ethical breeder and leave it to them to do the research (although I am aware that there are likely to be huge arguments about what actually characterises a "good" breeder).

Mick

i agree with Mick

perhaps something like -

Please research well and ensure you can provide the right environment for a husky. they are a working breed and dont do well with 'pavement' walking only. they love to run on a scooter or rig or perhaps some bike joring, agility or flyball. You need a very secure garden (6ft fence) as they easily escape. They need to remain on lead at ALL times as their desire to hunt and run is so great, you can NOT rely on them even if their recall APPEARS to be good...it just takes one time.

Go along to rallies, husky shows and meet with mushers and breeders who have been involved with the breed for years. See if you can visit a working kennel and pick the brains of the owners etc. Sibespace forum is a great way to obtain information - its honest, upfront and they have the breed interests at heart.

Once you have researched and you decide that a husky is for you then please spend lots of time researching breeders.

As for choosing a puppy, please please spend time researching and ensure you are happy with the breeder and the conditions they are living. Basic things to think about:

- are the parents KC reg'd

- are the parents hip scored (low)

- are the parents eye checked (clear)

- do the parents have a good reputation in either the trail (worked in harness) or show ring or of course both

- how often is the breeder breeding?

- Whats the motivation for the breeder to breed? For their own supply? if not perhaps question why, if money then this may ring alarm bells

- when will the pups be leaving - they should NEVER leave until at least 8wks of age (younger than this is really detrimental to the pups) 6-7wks is not good for the pups...WALK AWAY

- What support will the breeder offer you?

- Will you have breeding restrictions on the pup (you should do)

- will you have life time support from the breeder

- if your circumstances change will your breeder take your pup back to save him/her going into welfare? Acontract is usually in place to ensure this.

- has the breeder quizzed you thoroughly about becoming a sled dog owner - if not...walk away they dont give a damn where their puppys are going to live

If any of the above isnt in place then you are likely to be at a puppy farmer or a back yard breeder (BYB)...WALK AWAY

Im signing on for this one man, youve got my support!

Can sign anywhere ya like ... Still not happenin LOL

Nor is the sticky topic etc etc ..... We are missing the point in why we do not have these things in the first place ... We do not have them because this is not what the forum is about. Its hear for people to talk about their huskies and enjoy the fact that we have a common interest. Yes I know there is a lot of information that it exchanged, however that is a biproduct of what this forum is about, not the reason for its existance.

Let me give another example:

As for choosing a puppy, please please spend time researching and ensure you are happy with the breeder and the conditions they are living. Basic things to think about:

- are the parents KC reg'd YES

- are the parents hip scored (low) YES

- are the parents eye checked (clear) YES

- do the parents have a good reputation in either the trail (worked in harness) or show ring or of course both NO

- how often is the breeder breeding? NEVER BEFORE

- Whats the motivation for the breeder to breed? For their own supply? if not perhaps question why, if money then this may ring alarm bells PRIVATE

- when will the pups be leaving - they should NEVER leave until at least 8wks of age (younger than this is really detrimental to the pups) 6-7wks is not good for the pups...WALK AWAY AGREED

- What support will the breeder offer you? ANYTHING NEEDED

- Will you have breeding restrictions on the pup (you should do) DEPENDS WHO YOU ARE

- will you have life time support from the breeder YES

- if your circumstances change will your breeder take your pup back to save him/her going into welfare? Acontract is usually in place to ensure this. YES

- has the breeder quizzed you thoroughly about becoming a sled dog owner - if not...walk away they dont give a damn where their puppys are going to live YES

If any of the above isnt in place then you are likely to be at a puppy farmer or a back yard breeder (BYB)...WALK AWAY

OK I only pass 8 out of 12 and therefore I am likley to be a back yard breeder .... I am not breeding btw, however the above would be my honest answers should I ever decide to do so:

Now for the answers to the red highlighted items

- do the parents have a good reputation in either the trail (worked in harness) or show ring or of course both WE DO WORK BOTH OF THEM, HOWEVER HAVE NEVER BEEN ON A TRAIL AND THEREFORE THERE IS NO REPUTATION TO BE HAD .... I'M SORRY BUT I WILL NOT BE FORCED TO DO SO EITHER ... I WOULD ENJOY IT, BUT NOT BE FORCED BY ANYONE ELSES MORALS. I GO BY MY OWN THANKYOU

- how often is the breeder breeding? NEVER BEFORE.... AND OBVIOUSLY THAT MEANS IM A BAD BREEDER MY ALMOST EVERY POST I EVER SEE ON THE SUBJECT ..... ALMOST AS IF EVERYONE WHO HAS BRED WAS BORN WITH THE EXPERIENCE

- Whats the motivation for the breeder to breed? For their own supply? if not perhaps question why, if money then this may ring alarm bells PRIVATE... IM SORRY BUT I DO NOT HAVE TO SAY WHAT MY MOTIVATION IS TO ANYONE. IM NOT SAYING THE CORRECT MOTIVATIONS SHOULD NOT BE THERE, HOWEVER IT SHOULD NOT BE SOMETHING I AM FORCED TO STATE.

So .... I have just ripped a single decent post to pieces purely because it is yet another post about breeding. and this one was for nothing more than to give people friendly advice .... Do you really think this is not going to happen? Really??

Now do people understand, or am I again talking to myself.

A fun, friendly and informative husky forum, built by husky owners, for husky owners. Not a company, not a breeding site - purely out there for you to enjoy and meet new siberian husky lovers.

what I have viewed of this forum in my short time here is:

Have fun,

Ask Questions

Have fun.

Receive advice

Have fun

Give advice

Have fun

Have fun

Have fun

I like having fun let's keep it that way,

If you need advice, just ask the question, someone will advise, but you will get differences of opinion, which gives you choices and then,

Have fun again

Thats our take on it

Andy & Boone.

P.S. HAVE FUN GUY'S

I'm afraid there will be no breeders page added to the forum, the forum is as it states

A fun, friendly and informative husky forum, built by husky owners, for husky owners. Not a company, not a breeding site - purely out there for you to enjoy and meet new siberian husky lovers
, please respect these wishes. Any new threads and posts in the future regarding this subject will be deleted/removed.