Training Question?

Gretzky

Gretzky's training is coming on well. He sits, waits, gives paw, gives other paw and lies down. When his food is ready or when we come in/out of the garden we get him to sit and wait.

My question is When I get him to sit for a treat, he automatically gives a paw, then the other paw and then lies down. It's like one command "sit" triggers all of the other things...........

How can I be sure paw means paw and down means lie down? I get the impression at the moment sit means do all of the things we've taught you - he, he.

Any ideas?

Thank you guys

:)

I would just try the down command randomly and the same with Paw, Kody is the same if he sees i have the food bowl he instantly goes down and stays there, he knows that's what is coming and preempts me. I just give him random commands during the day when i have no treats in my hands to see how he reacts, more often than not he just looks blankly at me :P

Aya started doing this, so instead of looping everything together I do it seperatly. She does 'say please' (give paw) and she will do it automaticly as will Yuri. So I will say 'no, sit' and I won't give the treat till they stop saying please. You can practice this for a bit. That way they know what you are asking.

It's a pretty common problem especially for people who get their dog to do the same or similar sequence of commands for a treat. He thinks to get the treat, he needs to sit > shake > drop not just sit, shake or drop depending on the command you give.

Work on isolating a command for each training session - so for one training session (no more than 3 minutes at a time!) get him to sit and treat him as soon as his butt hits the ground.

Randomize it - ask for a drop first, or a paw, and don't ask for a sit. Don't be predictable - keep him guessing as to what will come next.

Thanks guys. As suspected Gretzky was simply going through the motions to get his treat. I started yesterday with the random requests and he's doing OK, but still sitting, giving paws then lying down - lol!

I'll carry on with the random commands - he, he.

:)

LOL i've just seen this thread and i'm glad thengs are going well for you. I have the same issue with Kodi at times. If he really wants what i've got he'll do a 'combo' trick and pull off everything he knows. I think he thinks he'll get the treat faster then. I just wait until he's calmed down before asking him to do anything else, then when he follows the commands properly he gets the treat.