Nipping

Strider30

Hi all. i know its been a while since i been on here, but been getting worried bout wolfie, he seems to be a bit iffy with my gf's little nice and nephew they are only 4, we were all out in the garden they were going near the trampoline kira was bout to get on and she was in front of my gf and wolfie nudged kira using his head and then more worringly we had a barbecue bearing in mind i was about a 1hr late with feeding him, the little ones kept going in and out with food. wolfie tried to sniff the meat then kira was trying to come outside wolfie was in the way was asked to move but didnt, as she went past wolfie he jumped up and nipped her on her face, i was in kitchen so didnt see what happened, luckily he didnt hurt her but could of been so different, i mean he did mark her a little and she was crying of course, i just dont understand why wolfie is doing this as he is normally so placid and laid back, and he is usually great around all, he is a rescue and dont really know too much about him, he is 3years old and i have had him about 17 months. I'm wandering if he is food orintated as he did this once before but to my sisters partner daughter but my sister was feeding him from a table full of food which is a big no no, any help would be much appreciated. I was thinking bout taking him to some obediance lesssons as i think its maybe me that needs training not wolfie

I always think the bbq scenario is tricky for even the most well behaved dog. Especially bbq meat at their nose height...which a 4 year olds hands would be. Be extra wary in such situations. Personally i'd put on a lead if it was me and get them to sit quietly while the people eat. I must admit we dont always eat after ours....which is against the guidelines i know....but it hasnt caused us any problems yet. When we eat, teeko sits under the table. We even had him on a rug with us this week while we had a picnic and he was no bother.

Dont let this incident put you off but maybe be a little more cautious.....a 4 year old can test the patience of the nicest of dogs!

Obedience training certainly wouldn't hurt... It would give you - and Wolfie - the tools to deal with situations like this. He can learn to lie down and stay with the distraction of food around. Still, food in the hands of a 4 year old is an awfully great distraction! rolleyes.gif