Actor's real names

who knew?

ukiemovies-418405479-1303312891.jpg?ym83I5EDeQ_iLS2nJennifer Aniston - Jennifer Anastassakis

Not the wildest change of name, as it sounds as though it stemmed from a fairly lazy teacher who couldn’t be bothered to ask how to pronounce it. Either that of Jennifer couldn't pronounce it herself. They are the only possible explanations.

ukiemovies-697832612-1303312934.jpg?ymm4I5EDBFQJjNFdNicolas Cage - Nicolas Kim Coppola

With Nic Cage’s recent spell in a police cell, this change of name seems fairly ironic. Maybe it was all part of his master plan to distance himself from the Coppola family.

ukiemovies-538223739-1303312973.jpg?ymN5I5EDcif2eZdLMichael Caine - Maurice Joseph Micklewhite

Probably one of the wisest name changes in the history of letters. Maurice Micklewhite sounds more like a killer in ‘The Hills Have Eyes’ rather than a talented actor. The name would have helped him get an endorsement deal with M&Ms though. Swings and roundabouts we guess.

ukiemovies-200899342-1303313039.jpg?ymP6I5EDvBbfFTY4Michael Keaton - Michael John Douglas

Quite clearly a ploy to steer clear of a case of mistaken identity. He might have accidentally won an Oscar though.

ukiemovies-145599006-1303313069.jpg?ymt6I5EDOLBzH7VyMarilyn Monroe - Norma Jean Mortenson - Norma Jean Baker

One of the most iconic names in cinematic history is one just plucked from the air before her first audition. A bit disappointing, much like the Enigma… or ‘The Tourist’.

ukiemovies-682850043-1303313102.jpg?ymO7I5ED33gUC9cNNatalie Portman - Natalie Hershlag

Natalie probably spotted the iconic Sun-pun headlines coming a mile off on this one and took decisive and much needed action.

ukiemovies-483159352-1303313164.jpg?ymM8I5ED9x32Ivb0Bruce Willis - Walter Bruce Willis

Walter? WALTER? His entire effortless cool and action hero swagger has been sabotaged by name terrorists. Get that white (and then immediately brown) tank top back on Bruce and save the day again!

ukiemovies-161075416-1303313135.jpg?ymw7I5EDxiSezD7wWhoopi Goldberg - Caryn Elaine Johnson

If you could choose your name to any name in the world, who else would have landed with ‘Whoopi’? So ridiculous you thought that it couldn’t be made up. It can and it was. She now kind of sounds like an ice cream. Perfect for the current heat-wave.

ukiemovies-738731322-1303313007.jpg?ymv5I5EDSvUMVIL_Tom Cruise - Thomas Mapother IV

Gosh, doesn’t Tom Cruise’s real name sound a bit posh? Maybe he should have kept his birth name, then he would have been slated for that rather than his movies.

ukiemovies-800870916-1303313204.jpg?ym08I5ED_HReD5EfJohn Wayne - Marion Morrison

Everybody’s favourite cowboy, John Wayne, starred on top of many a horse back in the day. Any self respecting steed would have bucked off a man named Marion Morrison so it probably best he went for the change.

Other surprising real names:

Danny DeVito - Daniel Michaeli

Kirk Douglas - Issur Danielovitch Demsky

Ben Kingsley - Krishna Banji

Judy Garland – Frances Gumm

Jamie Foxx - Eric Marlon Bishop

Bob Hope - Leslie Townes Hope

Jodie Foster – Elisabeth Foster

Meg Ryan - Margaret Mary Emily Anne Hyra

Charlie Sheen - Carlos Irwin Estevez

Christopher Walken - Ronald Walken

Gene Wilder - Jerome Silberman

Not an actor but

1970's british wrestler Big Daddy = Shirley Crabtree

in Lancashire Shirley can be a male or female namelaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif