Collars

Stormy

Right im probably gonna get both the boys new collars when i get paid but what i dont understand is the difference between all the different collars?Ie.Semi splip etc can anyone explain to me the different types and what they do??

Quick-Release Dog Training Collars These are flat nylon buckle collars, with a plastic closure that makes getting the collar on and off a little quicker. These training collars are adjustable and don’t tighten once they’re fastened.

Break-Away Dog Training Collars Break-away collars are special quick-release dog training collars that unfasten when a strong pull is placed on the collar. This dog training collar is specifically designed to help avoid dogs from choking to death if their collars get caught on something. This collar will not unfasten when attached to a leash.

Slip Training CollarsSlip Collars come in several different varieties. Slip collars are made of braided nylon, cotton, or leather, with "O" rings at either end. The collar loops through one of the rings, making a "P" shape. The lead is usually attached to the ring at the bottom of the "P," which allows the collar to tighten and loosen with pressure from the lead. The floating ring is called the dead ring - if a lead is attached to the dead ring, the collar will not tighten. They are also referred to as chokers or choke chains.

Limited Slip CollarsThese collars are a combination of slip collars and quick-release collars. They are adjustable dog training collars designed to tighten around a dog's neck, but to stop tightening before constricting around the dog’s neck.

Martingales Martingale dog training collars are similar to limited slip collars but don't have a buckle. Martingale collars slide over the dog's head, and then a piece of plastic tubing (typically) is slid down to the desired tightness.

Choke Chains While this dog training collar is still used in many “traditional†(jerk & praise) training techniques, it has been proven that these training collars can cause neck back and tracheal injuries to dogs when used improperly. It is imperative that if you choose this type of dog training collar to train your pet that you are shown by an experienced and qualified instructor the proper way to use this training tool. Choke training collars should never be used on puppies and shouldn’t have anything including tags attached to them because they’ll interfere with the sliding action of the dog training collar.

Choke chains, also known as metal training slip collars come in a variety of types determined by the widths and weights of links. The heavier the chain, the less smooth the sliding is. Consider wide-link chokers for long-haired dogs, so the chain won’t pull out the hair around the dog's neck.

Head Collars (Head Halters)

Head collars also called head halters (Gentle Leaders, Halti, and Promise collars) are another type of dog training collar commonly used with dogs that pull. This type of halter sits right below the eyes of the dog, and makes many dogs uncomfortable. Head collars are not muzzles. Dogs can still drink, eat, bark, and bite when wearing the head collar. The head collar has a number of advantages and disadvantages associated with them that people who are considering their use should be aware of.

I just copied and pasted so sorry if some of it reads wrong

Flat Adjustable collar - no buckles or clips, loosen the collar then do it up once its on the dog

CORAC.jpg

Flat buckle collar - Buckle to hold it together

21612.jpg

Flat clip collar - Plastic clip to hold it together

rw_hoopie_collar_maze.jpg

Semi slip - No clips or buckles, loosen then tighten once on the dog, hangs loose until dog pull then tightens by 2-3" so they cant slip out of it (if adjusted right)

COALC.jpg

Slip collar - continually tightens, risk of choking with a dog that pulls

Choke-Chain-mainChoke%20Chain2.jpg

1/2 slip/choke - part webbing part chain, like the semi slip in that it has a limited slip (about 2") so it cant strangle, but different design

1305010915984040_1.jpg

Martingale - Similar to 1/2 choke in design but all webbing/leather, no chain

Premier_martingale.jpg

I generally walk them on their canny collars for my own safety really when walking both but I would love to not be able to one day if walking one at a time but at the moment their collars are used more for their tags or when they're up my bfs unit they're attached by a longer lead to their collar so they can't just run off lol but Logan slipped his collar once up there that's what got me thinking shadow has an ezydog harness to I can't walk him on it anymore as he's far to strong

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I bought a new gentile lead for E-V n we had it on today for a little bit. I took her outside with it on and she seemed to not care about anything other then getting it off. I'm sure it will take time for her to get used to it- but does anyone have any tips for how to make it easier.

Also E-V gets hick-ups a good bit and I don't know why. She isn't eating at the time or drinking water. Sometimes we could be in the middle of a walk n she would get hick-ups. Anyone know what might cause this?

One last thing- E-V knows how to sit and lay down really well and does it without a treat. I wanted to know some tips on getting her to "go lay down" and "Stay" and "Heel" Any tips let me know! =D Thanks a lot!