does anyone else get........

brian brown

While I'm out walking my dogs, people always stop and ask if Mishka is a Husky.

When I say yes, a Siberian Husky, they always say "oh, she's going to be a big dog then!!"

I think people see Malamutes and assume Siberians will grow as big as they do.

Does anyone else get this reaction off people other than me?

Before i did all my research into the breed i wrongly assumed the same thing,i didnt even know then that mals were any different :giggle:

i just assumed they'd grow into a huge hairy ar**d dog that would eat me out of house and home,they only bit i got right was......hairy!! dry.gif

It makes me laugh because I went online & found the measurements/weight of a fully grown Sibe bitch. Mishka's already that big (22inches high/40lbs) & is as big as my smaller Border Collie.

To be honest I thought she'd be bigger originally. I have wondered how a dog this size could pull a full grown man.

I've since found out quite how strong she is for her size :giggle:

My girlfriend decided to walk her one day while I walked to meet her from the other end of a 7 mile walk. She said she'd seen 2 old men who'd commented about her being a wolfy dog & "can you control her?!" (they were sat with their Jack Russells) :lol:

I think out there in the land of the great unwashed (non-husky owning public).

There is a general misconception that huskies are larger than they are. confused.png

I know, when we first started researching into owning a husky and met one for the first time we were shocked at how small they were.

Didn't change our minds. We kept learning and looking until we got our Daughtrywavespin.gif

(originally called Koda, but then about a million other people joined the forum and called theirs koda or Kodah) redface.png

It makes me laugh because I went online & found the measurements/weight of a fully grown Sibe bitch. Mishka's already that big (22inches high/40kg) & is as big as my smaller Border Collie.

To be honest I thought she'd be bigger originally. I have wondered how a dog this size could pull a full grown man.

I've since found out quite how strong she is for her size :giggle:

My girlfriend decided to walk her one day while I walked to meet her from the other end of a 7 mile walk. She said she'd seen 2 old men who'd commented about her being a wolfy dog & "can you control her?!" (they were sat with their Jack Russells) :lol:

40kg?? wow.

I've seen other Sibes at the park, and Suka is pretty huge for a (purebred?) Sibe.

He's around 66cm (25.98 inches) from the ground to his withers. (Height)

and

60ish cm [Length]

(I used the same measuring methods as the AKC)

and, last time he was weighed in, Suka was 35kg

40kg?? wow.

Oops, 40lbs :redface2::giggle:

When I took Mishka to the RSPCA to get her microchipped, the woman said what is she, some kind of Husky cross, maybe German Shepherd?

Cheeky b*tch, I said no! She's a pedigree Siberian. I think it's her nose markings, I like them & that's why I picked her :mstickle:

My girl isn't purebred so I'm never that bothered about people that tell me she can't be a sibe - it just gets me that a lot of the time they tell me she's too small even though she hasn't fit "husky standards" since she was 6 months old. Even at the height of her 32kg of winter blubber I had someone ask how many months old she is. Just smile and nod, it usually makes them go away. I actually had someone come up to me the other day and say "Oooh what a nice husky cross" - I thought for a split second that they knew what they were talking about until they said "Both her eyes are blue, Sibes are odd-eyed".. What does he bl***y think Nadia is, a Sibe or a Van Cat??

Yep and miy claime of this is even worse than just the great unwashed... A VET told me my boy (who is si big I think he may have mally in him) was small for a husky! I Said no love hes BIG for a husky he'd be small for a mally! and he just said "well we wont argue"!! I was like yeeeah to right coz you dont know ANYTHING about it clearly! :giggle: